Footyology podcast 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys,

Just popped in to say I've taken some time out today to read this thread properly and am really chuffed at the positive nature of so many comments! Obviously what we offer in Footyology isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but it's really gratifying to know you guys are on board and have even embraced our (regular) forays into areas other than the "meat and potatoes" footy stuff! We're about to launch a partnership with podcast group Acast which we're excited about and which hopefully will spread the gospel a bit, too. And if you do enjoy it, you're more than welcome to help spread the word either here or on social media etc. Can never have too many listeners! Also, if there's any comments, suggestions or criticisms, please let me know either here or on Twitter (@rohan_connolly). Certainly always happy for feedback. So thanks again for the support, Bigfooty folk, I can assure you it's much appreciated!

Cheers,
Rohan
Hi guys and good luck with your venture with the Podcast company.
Format and content on the pod for the "live" season and the "off" season shows is excellent. Keep up the good work to all involved.
And hopefully loads more listeners jump on board!
Rohan, any scope for putting up a footyology tipping comp on the website so the loyal readers and listeners can pit their footy smarts against you and Finey?

Enjoyed the most recent episode. Please pass on my thanks to Finey for sharing his story about the charming parents of the Mentone Footy Club, circa 1980.
Yep. Actually imo the real kicker was that lunch with the sfellowing wives and the ham sandwiches. I think it showed that subtle racism is harder to combat than the overt racism he experienced on the footy field.

Hi guys and good luck with your venture with the Podcast company.
Format and content on the pod for the "live" season and the "off" season shows is excellent. Keep up the good work to all involved.
And hopefully loads more listeners jump on board!
Rohan, any scope for putting up a footyology tipping comp on the website so the loyal readers and listeners can pit their footy smarts against you and Finey?

Thanks for that, not a bad suggestion at all. Will just need to check out the logistics and tech side of it, time it will consume (and also whether I'M going to get stuck entering and processing all the info!) But certainly worth thinking about. Cheers.

The last episode was your best yet IMO. I agree 100% about the Adam Goodes documentary. Thanks to Finely for sharing his story. All very powerful. If you haven't seen the Quilty: Painting the Shadows documentary (on ABC iView) that's also worth watching.

Hi guys,

New episode up and running! This week we wrap up the State Of Origin bushfire game, round 4 of AFLW and the Marsh Series, we trade tales of iPhones lost, found and new, "Vinyl & Video" goes back so far even WE were barely born, and there's Rants about disrespect of footy history and my disrespect for washing my car! Hope you enjoy, and as always, feedback welcome!

Cheers,
Rohan

Hi guys,

New episode is up online now. This week, we talk Australia's T20 World Cup win and the rise of women's sport, chat AFLW and Marsh Series, there's Rants on Toilet Paper Wars & Moomba, and Vinyl & Video goes back to 1996. Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers,
Rohan

Hi guys,

Well, who knows what sort of season (if any) we're going to have? We're still pumping out podcasts, though! This week we talk about all the ramifications of coronavirus for the competition and game in general, we preview Round 1, and "Vinyl & Video" (with a new football component) goes back to 1974. Practising social distancing? We'll keep you company!

Cheers,
Rohan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi folks,

Well, that was one short AFL season! But we've put up a new episode, and at this stage (albeit with some slightly changed broadcasting arrangements), our plan is to soldier on with a weekly podcast despite the absence of actual football. Hope this measures up, and again, thanks for the support.

Cheers,
Rohan

Hi folks,

Well, that was one short AFL season! But we've put up a new episode, and at this stage (albeit with some slightly changed broadcasting arrangements), our plan is to soldier on with a weekly podcast despite the absence of actual football. Hope this measures up, and again, thanks for the support.

Cheers,
Rohan

Most appreciated Rohan, at least it's something to look forward to in this footyless barren wasteland. If you're taking requests I'd love to hear your thoughts on the films of 1999. There's a few absolute classics from that year. The footy wasn't bad either.

Hey Rohan- I have an idea for another segment in these barren footy times
You and Finey could do a deepdive into a particular football (or non-football) story from each year that you choose. It would be interesting to hear from a journo's perspective of how the story broke and your and Finey's memories of it. Maybe a bit on what journalism/newspapers/radio was like back in the day

Last edited:
You and Finey could do a deepdive into a particular football (or non-football) story from each year that you choose? Would be interesting to hear from a journo's perspective of how the story broke and your and Finey's memories of it. Maybe a bit on what journalism/newspapers/radio was like back in the day
Sounds good but RoCo is always at pains to remind us he was not the newsbreaking-type...one "lost" story I reckon is that of Fred Swift...what happened is never referred to...it is almost taboo and I reckon a whole generation would be unaware of it

You and Finey could do a deepdive into a particular football (or non-football) story from each year that you choose. It would be interesting to hear from a journo's perspective of how the story broke and your and Finey's memories of it. Maybe a bit on what journalism/newspapers/radio was like back in the day
Why did Blight let Modra go?

Most appreciated Rohan, at least it's something to look forward to in this footyless barren wasteland. If you're taking requests I'd love to hear your thoughts on the films of 1999. There's a few absolute classics from that year. The footy wasn't bad either.
Nice try, but 1999 has been red and blacklisted owing to "that tackle".

Plenty to talk about, plenty unknown, death ride smaller clubs to fill content - f@$” off. Plenty of us fans barrack for these teams - fill content void with something else thanks. We have enough going on! Not directed at you but I get blocked from comments and you seem half reasonable 👍

I always find it ridiculous when supporters say things like 'there's too many clubs in Melbourne' or 'just merge/relocate someone', then when you ask them which would they merge/relocate it's never theirs... funny that

Still I hear people say (Gerard Healy said it on Sportsday last night) that it was a great idea for North to have gone to GC back in 2007, like it's such an easy decision to forgo your whole history

Hi guys,

Obviously the lack of football has thrown the best-laid plans out the window. But we're going ahead with a weekly podcast (recorded on Monday morning) and we're continuing with the same format we used in the off-season. This week, we discuss the large ramifications for the game of this pandemic, there's "Life Hacks", the "Rant-Off", and "Vinyl & Video" revisits the pick of 1990 in music, movies, TV and, yes, footy, too. Also, apologies in advance for the circumstances in which we're operating at the moment, which mean while I'm in the studio, Finey is holed up at home. Not ideal, but hopefully still OK.

Cheers,
Rohan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back