Footyology podcast 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't watched footy with the sound up for years. Hopefully eventually with digital TV we should be able to choose our commentators, Channel Seven and Fox will get a shock when that happens.
That would be amazing! I'd also like to be able to choose different camera angles if needed although I admit I'd probably use them a few times and then not bother after. I remember that was meant to come in years ago but never did.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

That would be amazing! I'd also like to be able to choose different camera angles if needed although I admit I'd probably use them a few times and then not bother after. I remember that was meant to come in years ago but never did.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

I remember this as a concept last year in the NRL I think? Where you could have broadcast angles or 'in the stand' views. Never really got in to it but not sure if it was the concept or the execution.

RoCo. I presume the early start for sundays first game is to ensure no cross over with Coll v Ess game.
Somewhat related, why don’t the AFL take advantage of public holidays in other states? No reason there couldnt have been a monday late arvo (perth time) game in perth beaming into Melbourne and everywhere at like 6pm eastern seaboard time.

Hi folks,

The Round 6 Review episode is up already! We've got full reviews of all nine games, and this week Finey delivers an especially poignant "Rant" in keeping with the solemnity of the occasion. Hope you enjoy the show.

Cheers,
Rohan

Agree on the naming of teams Rohan but i think they are doing it because it generates more clicks for the AFL website. I know i go there 3 or 4 more times a week more than past years.

Hi guys,

The Round 7 Preview show is up now. This week, we're talking injuries, fines and the furphy about the game being too long. Full previews of all nine games, and this week "Fantastic Footy Flashbacks" has a treat or two for fans of the old Fitzroy! Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,
Rohan

Hi guys,

The Round 8 Preview episode is up. We talk this week about Paddy McCartin's suspension, Tayla Harris and Christian Petracca contract news, Hayden Kennedy's sudden resignation as AFL umpires' coach, there's full previews of all nine games, and a couple of great trips down memory lane in "Fantastic Footy Flashbacks". Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,
Rohan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez, fair bit of love for Essendon - name-dropped 18 players plus Rutten, and the only praise for GWS was "gee they're ill-disciplined" and (rightly) admonishing Finlayson.

Jeez, fair bit of love for Essendon - name-dropped 18 players plus Rutten, and the only praise for GWS was "gee they're ill-disciplined" and (rightly) admonishing Finlayson.
Finey has an unusual love for the bombers. Way more than Roco, and its quite sickening really. I think its a leftover from Fineys defence of them during the ASADA saga

Hi guys,

The Round 9 Preview episode of the Footyology Podcast is up! This week we're talking the Rioli-Bolton nightclub incident, another Rioli's drug charges, and the return of Thursday night teams. Full previews of all nine games, plus "Fantastic Footy Flashbacks" revisits a controversial night grand final and a huge goal haul from Kelvin Templeton! Hope you like it.

Cheers,
Rohan

A gambling sponsorship, really Roco? When's Marlboro cigarettes coming on?
Geez like we need more gambling shoved down our throats. I'm done.

OK, well I'm sorry to hear that. And you're entitled to your view. The other way of looking at it is this. We've been doing the podcast now for 5 years. The sponsorships we already have barely cover costs. In fact, they don't. Running Footyology this long (including the website) has in fact cost me close to six figures of my own money. I think we're entitled to be earning at least a little back in return. The cost to the listener is one set of odds read out after each preview, and a plug for the sponsor at the top and end of the podcast. In a 90-minute show, I actually don't think that's overly intrusive. And for anyone who wants to try to go the "you're a lefty so shouldn't condone gambling" line, nope, I've never had an issue with the morality of it, and nor does Finey. Anyway, that's my two bob's worth. Make of it what you will.

It's not so much that the plugs are overly intrusive, it's that by accepting their sponsorship you are promoting an industry that is responsible for a whole host of societal issues. There's a difference with 'never having an issue with the morality' and actively promoting it. Gambling is way too pervasive in sport and now you're on the wrong side of the discussion.

It's not so much that the plugs are overly intrusive, it's that by accepting their sponsorship you are promoting an industry that is responsible for a whole host of societal issues. There's a difference with 'never having an issue with the morality' and actively promoting it. Gambling is way too pervasive in sport and now you're on the wrong side of the discussion.

What rubbish.

Are you outraged about all advertising? Plenty out there to be upset about.

Nothing wrong with gambling as long as it’s in moderation, as with anything.

Last edited:
Footyology is a great podcast and I've enjoyed it for awhile now. I don't really like sports betting or advertising of it, but accept that Rohan and co need to earn some income from all this work they put in. The question is, would you rather no podcast at all or one with very little promotion of odds?

OK, well I'm sorry to hear that. And you're entitled to your view. The other way of looking at it is this. We've been doing the podcast now for 5 years. The sponsorships we already have barely cover costs. In fact, they don't. Running Footyology this long (including the website) has in fact cost me close to six figures of my own money. I think we're entitled to be earning at least a little back in return. The cost to the listener is one set of odds read out after each preview, and a plug for the sponsor at the top and end of the podcast. In a 90-minute show, I actually don't think that's overly intrusive. And for anyone who wants to try to go the "you're a lefty so shouldn't condone gambling" line, nope, I've never had an issue with the morality of it, and nor does Finey. Anyway, that's my two bob's worth. Make of it what you will.
Not sure where I sit here. I hate the idea of gambling adds. Rohan if this is costing you 'six figures'....as much as I love the show, is it worth it? if you didnt run the website and just did podcasts would you need the gambling $. Or are you hoping someone comes along and buys out the content/platform/membership? Sorry I dont want to seem negative as you do a great job and I wish it would earn you the $ it deserves....but I dont want to see you turn into SEN/Hutchy and sell your soul for the Dapto dogs.

I don't have a problem with the ads on the podcast, the advertising is a lot less intrusive than other forms of footy media on tv and radio and most podcasts I listen to have some advertising to help fund them.

As for gambling ads I think it's more of a problem on tv when they show odds before or during games where kids can be influenced by them. I doubt many kids would be listening to the Footyology podcast, it would mostly be adults who should be sensible enough to make up their own minds about gambling.

I don't have a problem with the ads on the podcast, the advertising is a lot less intrusive than other forms of footy media on tv and radio and most podcasts I listen to have some advertising to help fund them.

As for gambling ads I think it's more of a problem on tv when they show odds before or during games where kids can be influenced by them. I doubt many kids would be listening to the Footyology podcast, it would mostly be adults who should be sensible enough to make up their own minds about gambling.
reasonable point.......my main objection to the the gambling adds is they are shoved in my kids face when at the football or watching the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back