Footyology podcast 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, well I'm sorry to hear that. And you're entitled to your view. The other way of looking at it is this. We've been doing the podcast now for 5 years. The sponsorships we already have barely cover costs. In fact, they don't. Running Footyology this long (including the website) has in fact cost me close to six figures of my own money. I think we're entitled to be earning at least a little back in return. The cost to the listener is one set of odds read out after each preview, and a plug for the sponsor at the top and end of the podcast. In a 90-minute show, I actually don't think that's overly intrusive. And for anyone who wants to try to go the "you're a lefty so shouldn't condone gambling" line, nope, I've never had an issue with the morality of it, and nor does Finey. Anyway, that's my two bob's worth. Make of it what you will.

You've never had an issue with it yet let's have a look at your website. Check the last line.

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 10.52.22 am.png

You've never had an issue with it yet let's have a look at your website. Check the last line.

View attachment 1125626

Nice pick-up, and I'm glad you found it, because I didn't even know it was there. I didn't write the stuff that went up on the original info pages (that is from July 2017) about advertising. And I can tell you that's not what I think (well, about the gambling anyway, though I do agree about not hosting political or sexual advertising). So I'm going to have that bit about gambling removed pronto. I'm glad you're even more familiar with the site than I appear to be though. It's gratifying to know we've got such rabid fans who are up on everything we're doing. Thanks again for the support Trucker Tiger, much appreciated! :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Nice pick-up, and I'm glad you found it, because I didn't even know it was there. I didn't write the stuff that went up on the original info pages (that is from July 2017) about advertising. And I can tell you that's not what I think (well, about the gambling anyway, though I do agree about not hosting political or sexual advertising). So I'm going to have that bit about gambling removed pronto. I'm glad you're even more familiar with the site than I appear to be though. It's gratifying to know we've got such rabid fans. Thanks Trucker Tiger, much appreciated. :thumbsu:

"The AFL has happily waded into a range of social causes, in my view often quite rightly. But those particular moral stances aren’t so (literally) costly. Taking a similar stance on gambling as a means of revenue (even while some of its member clubs are doing so when it comes to poker machines) appears a bridge too far.

And in a sport teeming with contradictions, conflicts of interest and ethically-compromised overseers, this one is by far the most embarrassing."

"The AFL has happily waded into a range of social causes, in my view often quite rightly. But those particular moral stances aren’t so (literally) costly. Taking a similar stance on gambling as a means of revenue (even while some of its member clubs are doing so when it comes to poker machines) appears a bridge too far.

And in a sport teeming with contradictions, conflicts of interest and ethically-compromised overseers, this one is by far the most embarrassing."

Failing to see the relevance there mate. The AFL makes millions out of the industry. It simultaneously runs a competition which can be effectively manipulated by players altering match outcomes. Are you suggesting that Footyology taking a small amount from a betting agency is compromising our integrity? Hmmm ... interesting. How, do you think? Will quoting head to head match odds in our previews alter how we preview the games? Particularly given that I don't bet? Do you actually have any evidence to back that up? I'd be interested to see it.

I vaguely remember in an earlier episode that while there was it was ideal to not have them, the show would accept sponsorship from betting companies.

Finey posed hypothetical?

I don't remember that, but quite possibly. Ol' mate Trucker Tiger thinks he's got a little "gotcha" moment here (though I notice he won't actually come out and say what we're being accused of by him), but he doesn't. I've never had an issue with gambling per se. In fact a few years ago I was approached by an anti-gambling lobby group to be a public face of their campaign and told them I couldn't as I didn't really have a problem with it (notwithstanding the fact even I get annoyed the frequency of ads promoting it).

I don't remember that, but quite possibly. Ol' mate Trucker Tiger thinks he's got a little "gotcha" moment here (though I notice he won't actually come out and say what we're being accused of by him), but he doesn't. I've never had an issue with gambling per se. In fact a few years ago I was approached by an anti-gambling lobby group to be a public face of their campaign and told them I couldn't as I didn't really have a problem with it (notwithstanding the fact even I get annoyed the frequency of ads promoting it).

The point I was making was that you have previously rallied about the frequency of ads and have acknowledged the harm gambling can cause.

I get it that you have to make a buck but it's disingenuous to say you haven't had an issue with gambling ads in the past.

But the podcast's biggest crime has been the inability to pronounce Shai's name correctly.

The point I was making was that you have previously rallied about the frequency of ads and have acknowledged the harm gambling can cause.

I get it that you have to make a buck but it's disingenuous to say you haven't had an issue with gambling ads in the past.

But the podcast's biggest crime has been the inability to pronounce Shai's name correctly.

I've had an issue with the frequency of them, not the morality, that's a completely different area. And I think you know that, too. And FYI, if you listen to today's episode, I DID get Shai's name right! So how about some credit where it's due? 😂

Hey RohanConnolly, firstly I must say i love the podcast, it's the only footy podcast I religiously follow and respect. I listened to finey (viney) for years on Sen and always valued his informed opinion and quirky nature.

I'd be a liar to say I wasn't surprised with the betting agency advertising, but to be honest, I never understood how you were making any real money from these ventures before.

While I don't agree with much of what you say outside of the football world, your opinion is valued. Just wanted to give my support to the podcast and the effort you are putting into the website to try to bring forth real journalistic content of quality. Much respect.

Hey RohanConnolly, firstly I must say i love the podcast, it's the only footy podcast I religiously follow and respect. I listened to finey (viney) for years on Sen and always valued his informed opinion and quirky nature.

I'd be a liar to say I wasn't surprised with the betting agency advertising, but to be honest, I never understood how you were making any real money from these ventures before.

While I don't agree with much of what you say outside of the football world, your opinion is valued. Just wanted to give my support to the podcast and the effort you are putting into the website to try to bring forth real journalistic content of quality. Much respect.

Thanks a lot for that, very much appreciated. I'm pretty determined to keep it all going, and I'm only one of a number of media people pretty disillusioned by the state of mainstream media and hoping we can still do at least something to keep the emphasis on quality and away from clickbait. So we really do appreciate the support. Cheers. :thumbsu:

RohanConnolly , I don't think you need to justify accepting a gambling sponsor when your podcast and website clearly have operating costs that need to be met. People can't expect you to keep meeting those out of your own pocket, no matter how passionate you are about it. I think all of us have concerns with the amount of gambling advertising in today's society, but I think you hit the right balance in the podcast. It certainly did not come across as excessive. If people want to continue to enjoy the quality product you put forward without subscription, then they can't afford to be picky about the type of advertising you accept to keep putting out the product. I know I certainly enjoy being able to access a podcast with excellent and insightful Football discussion at no cost, if you have to add more advertising to keep it going then as a consumer I certainly have no problem with it.

Really liked the footyology final siren, more riffing, answering pertinent footy questions, G Train and Cottees content.
Dunno if regular or scheduled but it was good

Yikes! 6 figures over 5 years. Kind of puts the whole debate into perspective for me. Fwiw, I never go to the website, now or before the part paywall went up. For me it's the podcast only. Credit to Rohan for continuing to provide excellent content at such a great personal cost. It's very appreciated. Hopefully it's not too far away that we get to see the Footyology blimp sail above the MCG on Grand final day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi everyone,

The Round 9 Review episode is up nice and quick! Full reviews of every game of the footy weekend, and a couple of "Rants" you won't want to miss, one about a particular AFL club, another about a certain former Collingwood president. Link is below, hope you like it.

PS. Appreciate the feedback and the kind words on the sponsor issue, too. Trust me, I do understand people's objections, I just wanted to explain the commercial reasons (ie. my impending bankruptcy ;)) for going down this path. Also, just a minor correction, 1870 yeh right, we actually don't have any sort of paywall at this stage, and I'd really rather not use one, except as a last resort. It's important to me that as many people as possible can access the material, guess I just hope at the same time they'll see enough of merit to warrant throwing in $7 per month.

Cheers,
Rohan

6 figures of five years for a podcast? 20k per year? Assuming it is a 30 episode per year thing, 666 dollars per episode? Assuming that Mark does it for free ( none of my business ) that's bloody expensive. You'd almost question its worth if it is costing $650+ per week. You are very passionate which is good, I love passionate people.

Its a good listen nonetheless.

6 figures of five years for a podcast? 20k per year? Assuming it is a 30 episode per year thing, 666 dollars per episode? Assuming that Mark does it for free ( none of my business ) that's bloody expensive. You'd almost question its worth if it is costing $650+ per week. You are very passionate which is good, I love passionate people.

Its a good listen nonetheless.

No, that figure (and that's a rough figure) is talking about running and maintaining an entire operation, which is a website, podcasts and live streams. Don't get me wrong here, either, don't want to be seen as crying poor. In fact, in some ways I've managed to keep costs down. But particularly with the site, there's costs like paying contributors, producers, social media people, graphic designers, web site developers, stats providers, image providers etc, etc. Over time, it really adds up. But let me also say I wouldn't do anything differently at all, it's been a wonderful learning experience, and I do feel like enough people are getting some value from it. And appreciate the kind words, too.

Cheers,
Rohan

No, that figure (and that's a rough figure) is talking about running and maintaining an entire operation, which is a website, podcasts and live streams. Don't get me wrong here, either, don't want to be seen as crying poor. In fact, in some ways I've managed to keep costs down. But particularly with the site, there's costs like paying contributors, producers, social media people, graphic designers, web site developers, stats providers, image providers etc, etc. Over time, it really adds up. But let me also say I wouldn't do anything differently at all, it's been a wonderful learning experience, and I do feel like enough people are getting some value from it. And appreciate the kind words, too.

Cheers,
Rohan
Rohan, i for one appreciate the efforts and this podcast is the one i do not miss week in week out all year round.

Glad you called out Buckley Rowan. he pretty much has been given the run of Collingwood from the moment he came to the club under dodgy circumstances to now. Got players offside from the moment he joined, Was gifted a coaching job when we were up on top for no particular reason other than he is Nathan Buckley, subsequently got players offside and had to blow up a premiership team, and been gifted 10 years for not much success. Fun fact. in the 10 years of his coaching we finished in a lower position from the following year 9 times. Only time we went up was when Longmuir and Hocking were there.

Also Finey is sucking up to Essendon again like every week, gives them a pass whether they win or get thrashed yet takes every opportunity to get stuck into the Gold Coast. I would suggest both are in a very similar situation in all ways including admin and playing group (but not as bad as Collingwood!)

Glad you called out Buckley Rowan. he pretty much has been given the run of Collingwood from the moment he came to the club under dodgy circumstances to now. Got players offside from the moment he joined, Was gifted a coaching job when we were up on top for no particular reason other than he is Nathan Buckley, subsequently got players offside and had to blow up a premiership team, and been gifted 10 years for not much success. Fun fact. in the 10 years of his coaching we finished in a lower position from the following year 9 times. Only time we went up was when Longmuir and Hocking were there.

Also Finey is sucking up to Essendon again like every week, gives them a pass whether they win or get thrashed yet takes every opportunity to get stuck into the Gold Coast. I would suggest both are in a very similar situation in all ways including admin and playing group (but not as bad as Collingwood!)
i beg to differ,drug saga aside,GC & GWS were gifted first dibs to plunder the draft of elite talent for 6 straight years and theyre still getting concessions
this left cubs from top to 13th bereft of any hope of drafting in any top 12 talent...GC should be wrapped up and shut down,it hasnt worked and
the only function it performs is giving teenagers who arent ready exposure to match day simulation,theyre thrown to the wolves when its clear
theyre not capable yet,theyre diabolical

Hi folks,

The Round 10 Preview episode is up now. This week, we talk about the drop in AFL crowds, Collingwood's political turmoil and ask why an important football story hasn't been followed up. PLUS full previews & "Fantastic Footy Flashbacks"! Hope you like it.

Cheers,
Rohan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back