Unofficial Preview Footy's back! MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE this Saturday Feb 22, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a great game, but honestly, the level of meltdown in here from some posters is straight up bonkers.

New coach, new gameplan, and a s**t ton of new players! What were you melters expecting the Harlem bloody globetrotters? I’m not expecting this game plan to 100% click into place until at least 5-8 weeks into the season if we are lucky. In most sports a totally new game plan often takes an entire season before you see any real headway.

Expecting anything more so soon is the fastest road to a exceptionally rude reality check!

Was hoping for a little more from Chayce. He was on Oliver most of the day and got roughed up a bit. Have a look at some of the centre bounces.
Oh well...early exposure will be good for him

We need an elite KPD, we drafted the 2 best this draft.

Smith and the Crouches in particular are more than young enough to improve, so you can LOL all you like but that's fact.

Again, we haven't seen nearly enough to make a judgement.

Smith is 28! For gods sake, can you atleast pretend to be engaging in good faith?

I went down to Casey today. We actually had the better of the 1st half I thought. We rotated our key mids heavily and in the 3rd, when Brad, Matt, Jnr and Sloaney we’re sitting out, the game got away from us. To be expected.

Forward line looked pretty bleak all day. Having Fog and Tex back will radically change the structure so I’m not that worried.

The one improvement to my eye was the inside/outside balance. Nicks definitely has a new midfield structure implemented. Much less “moth to the flame” over committing to the contest and a lot more controlling the contest from the outside. I liked it but time will tell.

Kaeys is a player I want to see a hell of a lot more of! Had some errors, was probably guilty of trying too hard a few times. But he was seemingly always around it, played cleanly, and had a burst from stoppages and contests that simply jumped off the TV screen!

Settle him down a bit over the next 2 preseason games and I think he might have a real shot at best 22. Before today I had him in my 10-20% chance. After today he’s jumped up to 50/50!

Last edited:
Not a great game, but honestly, the level of meltdown in here from some posters is straight up bonkers.

New coach, new gameplan, and a s**t ton of new players! What were you melters expecting the Harlem bloody globetrotters? I’m not expecting this game plan to 100% click into place until at least 5-8 weeks into the season if we are lucky. In most sports a totally new game plan often takes an entire season before you see any real headway.

Expecting anything more so soon is the fastest road to a exceptionally rude reality check!

There is precisely no 'melt'. The commentary is sober as it could be- we don't have a very good list.

It was the commentary before this match, and it's the commentary at the conclusion of this match.

There is precisely no 'melt'. The commentary is sober as it could be- we don't have a very good list.

It was the commentary before this match, and it's the commentary at the conclusion of this match.
Wrong, We don’t have a very competitive list right now! Whether or not they are good, is a completely different story

Smith is 28! For gods sake, can you atleast pretend to be engaging in good faith?
Smith improved last year from what we saw in 2017, so why not an incremental improvement again ??

He's already an extremely damaging player, he's got years left at this level. Matt and Brad have another level to get to as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe, i'm not so sure though.

With other guys, you were able to see something early- just those glimpses that could tell you that this guy had something that could be an elite attribute. Dangerfield's combination of pace and physical intensity. That sort of thing.

You can see it in Fog sometimes, but I'm not sure you can in the others.

It doesnt mean everyone's going to be crap, some of them might well be good- it's just that this isnt enough to build a future around.
I felt Jordy Butts and Ben Keayes showed a bit. Keayes coming on fresh showed how much a role fatigue played in that second half.

I felt Jordy Butts and Ben Keayes showed a bit. Keayes coming on fresh showed how much a role fatigue played in that second half.
Keays will be a very handy pick up, could well have put his name on the sheet for R1

We went 18+4 for eac half. Rotating 22 one half and 22 the second
No, we did not, we rotated 24 players thru the First and Second Half, I had a good Look at the Stat at Half time and the only players not to reregister game time were McHenry and Keays. Who came on after Half time, For Sloane and Laird.

Lots of little cameos today, typical of a young side and likely to continue well into this season and next.

As has been mentioned, bringing in so many new players all at once is going to result in significant pain over the next 2-3 seasons. I don’t believe we have enough quality remaining in our experienced group to enable this development to be fast-tracked.

Fully expect bottom 6 finishes in 2020 & 2021, but happy to take that if we push on in 2022.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't dislike either- but to be clear the point I'm concerned about isn't that these guys are spuds per se.

I'll admit to not having known much about Keayes at all before today. I've been following the off season about as little as I ever have.

Smith improved last year from what we saw in 2017, so why not an incremental improvement again ??

He's already an extremely damaging player, he's got years left at this level. Matt and Brad have another level to get to as well.

Smith is six years removed from his best season, and in no way an elite player. The idea that these guys are the upside to our list should be terrifying.

Kaeys is a player I want to see a hell of a lot more of! Had some errors, was probably guilty of trying too hard a few times. But he was seemingly always around it, played cleanly, and had a burst from stoppages and contests that simply jumped off the TV screen!

I assumed Kaeys would be up forward but is he likely to be a mid/wing?

Lots of little cameos today, typical of a young side and likely to continue well into this season and next.

As has been mentioned, bringing in so many new players all at once is going to result in significant pain over the next 2-3 seasons. I don’t believe we have enough quality remaining in our experienced group to enable this development to be fast-tracked.

Fully expect bottom 6 finishes in 2020 & 2021, but happy to take that if we push on in 2022.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

To push on in 2022 or any other time afterwards we need to obtain elite talent. How can we best do that at this point? This year's draft's not particularly loaded is it?

We need to get into the top end of drafts, in any event.

To push on in 2022 or any other time afterwards we need to obtain elite talent. How can we best do that at this point? This year's draft's not particularly loaded is it?

We need to get into the top end of drafts, in any event.
We've got 2 firsts this year plus Edwards.

You'd imagine our pick will be between 3 and 6 again which should be enough for a high quality player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back