Unofficial Preview Footy's back! MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE this Saturday Feb 22, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Good news and congratulations for all those players - I’m particularly happy for Butts. Had a great year last year and his development is so important for us. A 198cm, creative, KPD is extremely valuable.
People are still talking about his thin frame, but from the photo's i've seen of him this offseason it looks like he's put on some upper body size.

I'm looking forward to seeing him out there against some big bodies to see how he compares

McAsey not playing which is a small surprise, I'd expect him to play the U23 and 2nd Marsh Cup game
Probably a good sign, as per my previous post.

The club will want to limit youngsters to 2x pre-season games - the U23 game + 1x Marsh game. Our team for the 2nd Marsh game will, hopefully, be very similar to our R1 team. If he's not playing this week, then logic says that he'd play the 2nd Marsh game, implying that he's in line for R1 selection!

Yay, footy's back!

Good to see Butts and McAdam get a run. Hopefully they stamp a bit of authority, both very talented

When's the U23 game?

Probably a good sign, as per my previous post.

The club will want to limit youngsters to 2x pre-season games - the U23 game + 1x Marsh game. Our team for the 2nd Marsh game will, hopefully, be very similar to our R1 team. If he's not playing this week, then logic says that he'd play the 2nd Marsh game, implying that he's in line for R1 selection!
You Wally. The priority is playing senior football if he was a serious contender for round 1. He’d play this week, miss the u23 and then play the final game.

The u23 is a Mickey Mouse game, we aren’t going to hold back first choice players just so they can play in it.

Not entirely surprised. This tells me that they're not in line for R1 selection, but that they're in the next line of youngsters who will probably (hopefully) get a shot later in the season.

OK, so here's the logic:

I'm making 3 assumptions:
  1. The team for the 2nd AFL pre-season game will be as close as possible to the R1 team.
  2. The club will want to minimise the number of players appearing in all 3 pre-season games, as they don't wish to burn out the youngsters.
  3. Most, if not all, of our available U23 players will be selected for the SANFL pre-season game against Port (and will only play 1x AFL pre-season game).
Based on those assumptions, we can group our kids into 3 groups
  • Those selected for the U23 game and 3rd (2nd pre-season) games are in line for selection early in the season, possibly even R1.
  • Those selected for the U23 game and 1st game are unlikely to be selected early, but could come into consideration later in the season.
  • Those selected for the U23 game alone are unlikely to play AFL in 2020.
*** McAsey's situation is unique, due to the Hartigan & Doedee injuries and their predicted return dates. I would not be surprised to see him selected for the 1st pre-season game, U23 game, and R1, without playing the 2nd pre-season game.
Nicks said we will rotate 22 players in both halves, with 8 players only playing a half each.

So we are likely to be trying players on the fringe in each half. E.g. McAsey v Butts.

Also, gather we have our bushfire players out - Tex, Smith, Laird & Sloane... so gather will also look to trial different backfill options for them.

Edit - McAsey not playing but you get the idea.

Teams up but only the 18
Stengle burger murphy
Macadam Davis Lynch
Poholke Crouch keays
Milera butts gibbs
Brown Talia laird
obrien
Crouch
Jones

You Wally. The priority is playing senior football if he was a serious contender for round 1. He’d play this week, miss the u23 and then play the final game.

The u23 is a Mickey Mouse game, we aren’t going to hold back first choice players just so they can play in it.
From memory Milera, Knight, Greenwood, Jones and a couple others played in the u23 game and R1.

I'd suggest McAsey is still a big chance, but we wanna look at Jordy Butts too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: L. Brown, D. Talia, R. Laird
HB: W. Milera, J. Butts, B. Gibbs
C: M. Poholke, M. Crouch, B. Keays
HF: S. McAdam, B. Davis, T. Lynch
F: T. Stengle, E. Himmelberg, L. Murphy
FOLL: R. O’Brien, B. Crouch, C. Jones
INT: J. Kelly, R. Sloane, D. Mackay, B. Crocker, R. Atkins, B. Frampton, N. McHenry, P. Wilson

Emergencies: K. Hartigan, W. Hamill, F. McAsey, L. Sholl

Tex and Seeds of to a wedding

1582183750188.png

I'm very interested to see how Keays goes. Rated him like * when he got drafted, didn't get the air he needed at Brisbane, he could be an excellent pick up for 3/5ths of *-all.

Aside from Lynch, that forwardline has about 40 games between them, and 20 odd are Murphy

6 newbies actually, or did Ned play a PS game last year ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back