Unofficial Preview Footy's back! MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE this Saturday Feb 22, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Short kicking through the back line and the inevitable turnovers is not the kind of footy I want to be watching. I would probably die of a heart attack.
It can’t be the gameplan because it’s the dumbest gameplan there is given the forward pressure and teams will just push up an clog the balls exit. Hopefully it was just a decoy.

We're at least looking to move the ball forwards though, which is a start. We'd waste a dozen possessions to eventually huge the boundary, hoping to unlock the corridor will give us a better chance at scoring if we can nail the kicks when we get an open player.
Have you seen the quality of the disposal from our defenders?

Keays is, and always has been an inside mid.

Unfortunately he never really got a chance to play that role at AFL level.

We tried turning him in to a wing, then a small/medium forward.

His big problem was always a tendency to rush his disposals when he had time to make better decisions.
Like what we did with Lyons. Dominated Sanfl as inside mid. When in the afl team played mostly forward until his last season

Have you seen the quality of the disposal from our defenders?
Milera will be fine and they'll probably push Smith and Seedsman back when we're in our defensive half, rather than the Crouch brothers like they did against Melbourne.

I'd rather them try at least work the ball through rather than the crap we server up last yer.

Milera will be fine and they'll probably push Smith and Seedsman back when we're in our defensive half, rather than the Crouch brothers like they did against Melbourne.

I'd rather them try at least work the ball through rather than the crap we server up last yer.
Wouldn’t quick ball movement out of defence be the more sensible option? Not the option that moves it the slowest as they search for the short pass and which leads to turnovers?

It can’t be the gameplan because it’s the dumbest gameplan there is given the forward pressure and teams will just push up an clog the balls exit. Hopefully it was just a decoy.
It looked bad at times because we continually fumbled the ball on receiving it..generally from a bad pass. We simply were not clean...however in retrospect we have some real class to come back in, it literally was the first competitive hit out under a new coach with new instructions and a number of kids. Hopefully they can clean up the skills and be a little more polished heading into round 1

It looked bad at times because we continually fumbled the ball on receiving it..generally from a bad pass. We simply were not clean...however in retrospect we have some real class to come back in, it literally was the first competitive hit out under a new coach with new instructions and a number of kids. Hopefully they can clean up the skills and be a little more polished heading into round 1
Real class? Smith and Seeds? Do we really want all our best kicks in defence short passing our way out? Seems like a waste of resources

Real class? Smith and Seeds? Do we really want all our best kicks in defence short passing our way out? Seems like a waste of resources
I meant that our first choice half backs have class and can hit targets and set up from defense. From all reports the wind early on was shocking at that ground and probably contributed to skill errors coming out from defense

I meant that our first choice half backs have class and can hit targets and set up from defense. From all reports the wind early on was shocking at that ground and probably contributed to skill errors coming out from defense
Gibbs and Milera are our first choice half backs. What happens when Talia, Hartigan, Doedee and even Laird get the ball?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbs and Milera are our first choice half backs. What happens when Talia, Hartigan, Doedee and even Laird get the ball?
Still think that we will line up first choice as follows in the back half:

Doedee talia brown
Smith hartigan / mcasey laird

I think milera might still end up going more through the middle and i am not at all sold on gibbs being first choice across half back. Seedsman 100% has to be on one of our wings and maybe sloane on the other

Short kicking through the back line and the inevitable turnovers is not the kind of footy I want to be watching. I would probably die of a heart attack.
Every time you you kick or handball the ball its an opportunity for a stuff up. Understand that you might need to handball your way through the pack but I think you have to kick the ball a bit further. These 15 meter kick that might be called play on just dont work for me unless you have a disposal efficiency of 80%+ We dont have that. I remember watching the girls doing the same thing. Kicking the ball around in the back lines. The ladies kicking efficiency isnt the best and it allowed StKilda to kick the first goal the other weekend. A simple kick executed poorly that got intercepted. We need to kick that ball 30 meters + but it must also be accurate.

Short kicking is fine if you're good at it.

A disaster if you're not.

We're not. Our defender/wingmen options are either poor kicks or good long kicks who lack finesse when trying to kick short.

Short kicking for us won't succeed under any sort of pressure

Yeah but he had 522 metres gained and 9 score involvements both the most of any Crows player and went at 82%...

But I’ve never seen a player have more meaningless, complicating, iffy touches that actually ultimately end up in scoring chains of play, he’s one of the reason the teams disposals per goal are one of the highest in the league.

He must really be one of the best at having the ability to fool the stat sheet because a lot of the time you just look at his numbers and they usually look good despite him looking ordinary when watching the match.

better to just hack forward to spare defenders like other mids under pressure and then watch the ball transition deep into opponents 50. God forbid we use a mid that hates just dumping the ball onto his foot because there’s a bit of pressure around. Won’t go anywhere with players like that.

The short kicking out of defence seemed to me to be an into-the-wind tactic. Personally, I was happy NOT to see the long bomb out to the same wing fifty times. Think people are reading too much into it.
I've heard that that oval is about as horrible an oval you can play at. Even on the clear sunny days there is a roaring headwind!

Actually I reckon the other day's game was the most hardness at the contest I've ever seen from Rat against some very big bodied Melbourne mids, hopefully it's a sign of things to come.
Agreed. If anything, he made himself far MORE likely to play round one. Took the game and the player on.

The short kicking out of defence seemed to me to be an into-the-wind tactic. Personally, I was happy NOT to see the long bomb out to the same wing fifty times. Think people are reading too much into it.
Agreed, plus precise short kicking is a key way to cut through the defensive zone setup.

B: Worrell, Butts, McPherson
HB: Hamill, McAsey, Sholl
C: McHenry, Poholke, Keays
HF: Murphy, Fogarty, Davis
F: McAdam, Frampton, Crocker
R: Strachan, Jones, Gallucci
I/C: Schoenberg, Gollant, O'Connor, Himmelberg

Yep. Its going to lead to massive turnovers this year. If thats the gameplan expect us to be blown away early in a game by highly pressured forward players.

Those short kicks were not covering the 15m. They were like suicide 5-10m kicks which is an awful option as the ball takes longer to cover and control IMO compared to a quick handball.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back