Full announcement video:
AFL boss Gillon McLachlan announces the AFL season will resume on June 11, with clubs based in Western Australia and South Australia to be based on the Gold Coast.
"The world we are... now... in."
- Training return, Monday 18th.
- Full contact training on Monday May 25th.
- Games resumes Thurs June 11th.
- Clubs to undergo education sessions, plus screening and regular testing.
- Umpires and key matchday staff also screened and tested.
- Flexibility to adapt where necessary is important.
- Not placing burden on public health system is paramount.
- Government Ministers thanked etc.
- Decisions in line with advice from government and medical authorities.
- AFL has been given an opportunity, and understand accept responsibility to football industry and wider community.
- Fixture to be released over time, in 4-6 week blocks.
- First block released over next 10 days.
- Games only in states which have approved full contact training and matches.
- WA and SA to train at home, move to Gold Coast
- SA clubs to move to Gold Coast before May 25 for full contact training.
- Gold Coast base in place for at least 4 weeks, with an eye on changes in state regs going forward.
- Family visits to be allowed and paid for by the AFL.
- Flexibility to be maintained with changing restrictions.