"Footystats" calls time

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
I only learned of this a few minutes ago and was deeply saddened to read that the indomitable Kevin Taylor of Footystats fame has been diagnosed with cancer and as a result, has decided to end updates of his website.

I always enjoyed Footystats; despite its garish layout and difficult navigation, there were things on there that you couldn't find anywhere else. The 'diary' is a great historical recap of each season's events and we will be poorer without it.

Best wishes to Kevin and I hope he can beat the big C.

CPzEN1NUwAAHFKi.png

Last edited:
There certainly were things on there that you couldn't find anywhere else, such as recording for posterity when the MCG scoreboard caught fire in 1999, or when Peter Landy commentated his 1000th match in 1997. I've also appreciated being able to read about the international games versus Ireland which date back to the 1960s.
It's a shame there doesn't seem to be an "heir apparent" of any sort who will continue the site. Kevin is 81 though and I suppose it couldn't go on forever, regardless of the unfortunate circumstances which have now brought Footystats to an end.

It's a shame there doesn't seem to be an "heir apparent" of any sort who will continue the site.

He invited me to take it on, alas I had to decline.

Let's hope things work out for him, if it's considered treatable that might suggest some chance of a positive outcome.

Really sad news all-round. Kevin is definitely one of the good guys, so hoping he can get through this okay. I guess he was well and truly ahead of his time with what he was doing back in the day, and his website has always offered plenty to inform and entertain readers.

Somebody is adding titbits regarding the 2016 season. But where is the access to all the original links Kevin developed? I was under the impression the site would still be accessible but would not have any post-2015 data added. Not that I'm against somebody adding 2016 info, but all the original info should surely remain.

Somebody is adding titbits regarding the 2016 season. But where is the access to all the original links Kevin developed? I was under the impression the site would still be accessible but would not have any post-2015 data added. Not that I'm against somebody adding 2016 info, but all the original info should surely remain.

That's a good point. Thankfully the Internet Archive has answered our call – just use this link for old stuff

http://web.archive.org/web/20151002052933/http://footystats.freeservers.com/Daily/Diary.html

Kevin Taylor was still adding some material until recently but has given up on that and will soon be taking what he expects to be his last holiday - an ocean cruise.

However the material from 'Footystats' is with with http://australianfootball.com/ who are working on incorporating it with what is already on the site.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back