For someone that was surplus to needs, Stevie J is having a pretty good season

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
I'm not sure why Geelong thought he was cooked. He averaged 20.6 disposals and kicked 30 goals in 20 games last year.

This year he's been even better and is currently dominating Hawthorn with 4 goals to half time. Given Geelong are pushing for a premiership this year, you would think they could use a player of his caliber.

I'm not sure why Geelong thought he was cooked. He averaged 20.6 disposals and kicked 30 goals in 20 games last year.

This year he's been even better and is currently dominating Hawthorn with 4 goals to half time. Given Geelong are pushing for a premiership this year, you would think they could use a player of his caliber.

LULZ, given?

I'll say what I said in the gameday thread.

SJ had declined last year and the club chose to gamble with youth coming good (Menzel, Lang, Gregson and McCarthy) over the next few seasons than gamble with SJ having 1 more good season.

Good on him for improving this year, it's fantastic to see. I think most Geelong people (me included) expected him to keep declining like last season. If we knew he'd play like this we would've kept him.

With advancements in sports science and dedication to diet and calculated boozing etc the experienced hardened bodies of 30+ year olds are making them some of the best players in the game.. They are slower but they seem composed and durable compared to fast-twitch explosive early - mid 20s players

Mitchell, Harvey, Waite, Ablett, Priddis, Hodge, Burgoyne etc

This was evident last year I was thinking cats shouldn't have cut him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't only on his footballing ability that the decision was made.

Would he not have been helpful to the young Geelong players?
No

Aparently a big concern on his influence with the younger players on the ground, it was interfering with what the coaches were trying to promote.

He will always be one of my all time favourite players and it's great to see him play well.

But the right call was made for the club to move forward

No

Aparently a big concern on his influence with the younger players on the ground, it was interfering with what the coaches were trying to promote.

He will always be one of my all time favourite players and it's great to see him play well.

But the right call was made for the club to move forward

So why is he good for the GWS youngsters? That's the line a lot of Cats fans peddle.

I'll say what I said in the gameday thread.

SJ had declined last year and the club chose to gamble with youth coming good (Menzel, Lang, Gregson and McCarthy) over the next few seasons than gamble with SJ having 1 more good season.

Good on him for improving this year, it's fantastic to see. I think most Geelong people (me included) expected him to keep declining like last season. If we knew he'd play like this we would've kept him.

It looks as if it was more the team on the decline rather than SJ himself, in a good outfit he is still A grade material!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back