metalformelbourne.jpg

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Ha, I remember when it was Central Station Records, near the old Gas & Fuel building. (Actually bought the VHS Let There Be Rock at the top of the list from there, and a heap of AC/DC bootlegs which are now quite valuable but alas, no longer in my possession.) There was another Central Station Records in the city square which sold mainstream stuff. Both stores were great and stocked things that would make your eyes pop.

Later on of course the metal shop moved to Banana Alley.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
Ha, I remember when it was Central Station Records, near the old Gas & Fuel building. (Actually bought the VHS Let There Be Rock at the top of the list from there, and a heap of AC/DC bootlegs which are now quite valuable but alas, no longer in my possession.) There was another Central Station Records in the city square which sold mainstream stuff. Both stores were great and stocked things that would make your eyes pop.

Yeah, remember you could enter the station from that side too? Central Station also had a store in Flinders St which sold rap/dance etc.

Oct 2, 2007
Willy back beach
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC Williamstown FC

I remember the Gas & Fuel building one.

Yeah, remember you could enter the station from that side too? Central Station also had a store in Flinders St which sold rap/dance etc.

You're correct, it was across the road pretty much from Metal, they had rap etc there.

Neen

????????????
Jul 1, 2011
Thomastown
AFL Club
Richmond
I used to catch the train into Flinders street and walk up the ramp and on your right was one of the entrances to the old "Central station Records". You could also enter from Flinders street. In 1981 we took a trip into town to buy KISS' "The Elder". Years later we lined up to buy Stryper tickets, and when Stryper toured, they visited to the shop and the front glass window smashed from the rush. The last thing I bought from the old store was "The Headless Children" picture disk. Just down the road was a tiny shop with just a roller door and the dude used to make those heavy metal belts with the chains and other metal items. Boot spikes were a big seller from memory. "Metal For Melbourne" moved to banana alley and it used to sell a lot of cool stuff. It was only place I could by "Operation Mindcrime" back in the late 90's.

Then every department store sold Metal records..

Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
The first time I walked into MFM store in the alley I was 14. All those freaky metal posters plastered all over the walls and roof..was quite the ultimate metal dungeon.

The guy who usually manned the till was a freaky German bloke i think.

That day he leaned over counter with headphones in hand and said to me " listen to dis . They are da best metal band in da world "

I walked out 30 mins later with a copy of Kill Em All..thus beginning my love affair with Metalica.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
The first time I walked into MFM store in the alley I was 14. All those freaky metal posters plastered all over the walls and roof..was quite the ultimate metal dungeon.

The guy who usually manned the till was a freaky German bloke i think.

That day he leaned over counter with headphones in hand and said to me " listen to dis . They are da best metal band in da world "

I walked out 30 mins later with a copy of Kill Em All..thus beginning my love affair with Metalica.

Sounds like Daniel Jenecka from Pipe Imports.

Neen

????????????
Jul 1, 2011
Thomastown
AFL Club
Richmond
Pipeworks in Campbellfield had a music store that had a lot of obscure Metal and bootlegs. Trying to recall the years - would have been early 90's.

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
Metal for Melbourne was run by Greta. When it relocated to Banana Alley I think it was re-named Metal Labyrinth. They also opened a shop in Ballarat.

I remember we used to love going there to Flinders Street and coming home on the train with their photocopied weekly Top 10 lists with all the new releases on the other side. Used to get our back patches there for our battle jackets lol. All the t-shirts hanging from the roof etc.

Was an intimidating shop to walk into as a 13-14 year old....

Oct 2, 2007
Willy back beach
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Metal for Melbourne was run by Greta. When it relocated to Banana Alley I think it was re-named Metal Labyrinth. They also opened a shop in Ballarat.

I remember we used to love going there to Flinders Street and coming home on the train with their photocopied weekly Top 10 lists with all the new releases on the other side. Used to get our back patches there for our battle jackets lol. All the t-shirts hanging from the roof etc.

Was an intimidating shop to walk into as a 13-14 year old....

I'm pretty sure it still was Metal for Melbourne in Banana Alley for a while atleast. I could be wrong though, it was a long time ago. There were rumours that if you got caught stealing they'd take you out the back and bash you haha.

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah it was MFM for a while down at Banana Alley...but then it changed its name at some point while Greta was still there. My mate won the competition to do their new logo above the doorway. From memory his 'prize' was 5 CDs or something. I think they had a pool table down the back in Banana Alley didn't they for a while...?

Regardless, the old Flinders St Station shop was the one everyone remembers. Such a cool little place.

Oct 2, 2007
Willy back beach
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Yeah it was MFM for a while down at Banana Alley...but then it changed its name at some point while Greta was still there. My mate won the competition to do their new logo above the doorway. From memory his 'prize' was 5 CDs or something. I think they had a pool table down the back in Banana Alley didn't they for a while...?

Regardless, the old Flinders St Station shop was the one everyone remembers. Such a cool little place.
Yeah, they had the pool table down the back and there was a huge black and white Kiss poster on the wall next to it, a 1975 shot.

Neen

????????????
Jul 1, 2011
Thomastown
AFL Club
Richmond
How cool is that !

Hand written charts going back to the early 80's. Awesome ! Thanks for posting. I think I have a few a home I'll contribute. Just about everything "Metal" was an "import" back in those days.

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
How cool is that !

Hand written charts going back to the early 80's. Awesome ! Thanks for posting. I think I have a few a home I'll contribute. Just about everything "Metal" was an "import" back in those days.

Got stax of them around somewhere...

FYI - I also bought Operation Mindcrime at Metal for Melbourne....still got that WASP picture disc?

Back