For the old Melbourne Headbangers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Got stax of them around somewhere...

FYI - I also bought Operation Mindcrime at Metal for Melbourne....still got that WASP picture disc?

Yes - and also the "Forever Free" picture disk. I think it is with my other picture Disks - "God Gave Rock and Roll to you II" which I bought from Metal For Melbourne and had Gene and Paul sign at the Convention in 1992.

"Headless Children" - one of my all time favorites.

I recall Collectors Corner being on Swantson St proper - I remember where it was exactly.....but it may have started in the Arcade. I do remember the dog leg arcade and shop you refer to but can't remember it's name.

I recall it being in two locations in Swanston Street. First location was on the left - the next on the right. Never really had much music in there that interested me. Pipe Imports/Extreme Aggression was the best. Missing Link late 80s/early 90s was great too. These days it is mostly all mailorder eh?

Was that the little shop in the dog-leg arcade off Swanston St?
It was on Swanston street proper. I'm trying to remember the dogleg arcade but can't recall it. There was also a record shop on the corner of Bourke ans Swanston, you had to go down an escalator, I can't remember it's name though. They used to carry bootlegs in there. Collectors moved across the road at some point in the mid 90's, it wasn't the same though. The original store used to get some good stuff, I was heavily into collecting Kiss Vinyl during those years. Au Go Go was the best shop in the city for old vinyl and posters.

Yes - and also the "Forever Free" picture disk. I think it is with my other picture Disks - "God Gave Rock and Roll to you II" which I bought from Metal For Melbourne and had Gene and Paul sign at the Convention in 1992.

"Headless Children" - one of my all time favorites.
The Kiss convention was 1995.

It was on Swanston street proper. I'm trying to remember the dogleg arcade but can't recall it. There was also a record shop on the corner of Bourke ans Swanston, you had to go down an escalator, I can't remember it's name though. They used to carry bootlegs in there. Collectors moved across the road at some point in the mid 90's, it wasn't the same though. The original store used to get some good stuff, I was heavily into collecting Kiss Vinyl during those years. Au Go Go was the best shop in the city for old vinyl and posters.

Downstairs at Bourke & Swanston was Billy Guyatts (spelling?) at one point. Bought my Savatage "Hall of the Mountain King" poster down there for $2.

Downstairs at Bourke & Swanston was Billy Guyatts (spelling?) at one point. Bought my Savatage "Hall of the Mountain King" poster down there for $2.
You may be right, I can't remember if it was Billy Guyatt's. I bought a set of four, 7 inch Kiss picture discs from there.

The Kiss convention was 1995.

Sheesh. And I call myself a hardcore KISS fan ! I should have remembered the year as I met Stanley and Simmons with a local newspaper journo for a story on their tour (and the rabid KISS fan that can't even recall the year they toured)..

I'll have to dig out my picture disks. I bought a heap of them in the late eighties and early nineties. Crazy Nights, Animalize, To Hell with the Devil, In God we Trust.. Every KISS bootleg I could get my hands on. If memory serves, that was the only place you could buy the Red vinyl "Hard To Believe" covers album. I had that signed as well. Awesome memories.

Sheesh. And I call myself a hardcore KISS fan ! I should have remembered the year as I met Stanley and Simmons with a local newspaper journo for a story on their tour (and the rabid KISS fan that can't even recall the year they toured)..

I'll have to dig out my picture disks. I bought a heap of them in the late eighties and early nineties. Crazy Nights, Animalize, To Hell with the Devil, In God we Trust.. Every KISS bootleg I could get my hands on. If memory serves, that was the only place you could buy the Red vinyl "Hard To Believe" covers album. I had that signed as well. Awesome memories.
I got Hard to Believe at Virgin Megastore. $25 I remember it cost me.

I used to catch the train into Flinders street and walk up the ramp and on your right was one of the entrances to the old "Central station Records". You could also enter from Flinders street. In 1981 we took a trip into town to buy KISS' "The Elder". Years later we lined up to buy Stryper tickets, and when Stryper toured, they visited to the shop and the front glass window smashed from the rush. The last thing I bought from the old store was "The Headless Children" picture disk. Just down the road was a tiny shop with just a roller door and the dude used to make those heavy metal belts with the chains and other metal items. Boot spikes were a big seller from memory. "Metal For Melbourne" moved to banana alley and it used to sell a lot of cool stuff. It was only place I could by "Operation Mindcrime" back in the late 90's.

Then every department store sold Metal records..

Been a metalhead all my life. For some odd reason I've never listened to much W.A.S.P. (maybe 5 or 6 songs). Heard a few songs here and there, well that all changed last weekend when I was randomly surfing YouTube sponged all night for some new material I haven't heard before which I do fairly often. Came across The Headless Children, honestly had never heard one song before.... Brilliant!! Blew my mind.

Non-stop W.A.S.P. all week, I can't stop playing them, even my missus is impressed. Obviously the early stuff is better but listened to every album and every song I could come across. They are criminally under-rated. I can't believe I went 20 years without listening to this. Metal at its finest and purest to me. Instantly almost my favourite band. Hhhheeeeelllllllllliiiiooooooonnnnn! Oh yeah.

Hellion
Sleeping (In The Fire)
Tormentor
The Last Command
The Electric Circus
Thunderhead
Mean Man
The Headless Children
The Heretic
Maneater
Ballcrusher
Fistful Of Diamonds
The Manimal
Chainsaw Charlie
The Idol
Hold Onto My Heart
Heavens Hung In Black

Never heard any of them before, instantly fell in love with them! Amongst I Wanna Be Somebody, Blind In Texas and Wild Child which I already had.

Still going through the post Crimson Idol for closer inspection. Nothing like the early material but some pretty good stuff all the same and I'll no doubt pick the eyes out of it. Any recommended chainsaw blade out classic metal rockers from Blackie & co. like those above from 1992 onwards peeps?

Last edited:
That would be awesome. Never hearing WASP and starting to listen to them now. What an amazing trip it would be. I remember the first time I heard "The Headless Children" from start to finish. I had it on cassette and it stayed in the car stereo for months. Blackie Lawless went through some stages where his songwriting was genius. Good bands like WASP have stages in their career which different headbangers relate to more than other stages. I like "The Headless Childen" and "The Crimson Idol". The earlier stuff was their heaviest material, but I don't include anything after "Neon God" - I really have not listened to any post 2002 WASP.

My favorite tracks

I Wanna Be Somebody - First time I saw the video, I was hooked (being a hardcore KISS fan)
LOVE Machine - I think this video might be a bit controversial nowadays.
Animal (FLAB) - Awesome song
Wild Child
Blind in Texas - Love the guitar in this song
Inside the Electric Circus
I Don't Need No Doctor

The entire "Headless Children" Album - Is in my "Top 10 Albums" of all time.

We always hear the ironic "Metal bands write the best ballads" - Case in point "Forever Free" Epic song. you listen to such awesome MUSIC and think of the absolute rubbish artists record these days.

The Real Me - Being a Who fan, this song put the icing on the cake for me.

Chainsaw Charlie
I am the One
Hold On to My Heart

Leading up to the release of 'Golgotha' in October, there was a fair bit written about WASP in the General Metal Thread. FWIW, I'd say its clearly their best since Unholy Terror in 2002.

If its that 80s WASP sound you want - you could do worse than check out Randy Piper's post-WASP band 'Animal' (you can see the link already...right?). The album "Violent New Breed" is pretty much a WASP 84-86 rip-off. Lead singer Rich Lewis sounds more like Blackie Lawless at times than the great man himself. Youtube songs like "The Morning After" "Hell Child and "SALT" and tell me that's not 80s WASP...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good old Daniel.....which he pronounced Danielle, in his heavy German accent.

Used to visit him regularly and he even had a name for me............Mr Hawkwind :)
Daniel's favourite Quote .. His a Bloke not a Guy.. Classic

metalformelbourne.jpg

Bought many a record from there,hi to Greta Tate who ran the store.
Daniel from Pipe used to give me records ,one side of his shop was black,death,thrash metal ,the other side electronic ,experimental and prog ,gave me a few obscure German prog records.

Managed a band I was in,Hobb’s Angel Of Death.

Daniel was actually a Czech.

Central Station was originally under Princes Bridge station.

Last edited:

Nothing Sacred did a ripping cover of this live back in the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back