BShollButts RookieHamill
RuckInter
Strachan RookieWright
WilsonPick 37
MacPhersonPick 45
Pick 49
Rookie
Rookie

If Seedsman's fit there is no way he shouldn't be in our best 22, people seem to have forgotten just how good he was before his unfortunate knee injury this year. If we are to get back to playing with some semblance an attacking mind set and fast offensive ball movement under Nicks then Seeds is a must IMO.

Edited : Enough off this piss farting around with sideways kicking and slow safe ball movement that bored the s**t out of our suuporters.

If Seedsman's fit there is no way he shouldn't be in our best 22, people seem to have forgotten just how good he was before his unfortunate knee injury this year. If we are to get back to playing with some semblance an attacking mind set and fast offensive ball movement under Nicks then Seeds is a must IMO.
You'r right.

Swap with Gibbs then.

Doh - Seeds and Milera!!!! How did I forget those 2.

I did leave 3 spots up for grabs...but I’m not making excuses those 2 were forgotten and should be picked.

Probs swap out Atkins for Seed, which still leaves 2 spots. Depends a bit on opposition but the extra tall is Himmelberg then maybe McAdam. So:

Murphy Fogarty McAdam
Lynch Walker Sloane
Smith Crouch McHenry
Milera Hartigan Laird
Doedee Talia Brown
ROB Crouch Jones

Seedsman, Kelly, Gallucci, Himmelberg

I’d roll Ned through the forward line for some extra zip with Seed to his wing.

Alternative structure to leave out Himmelberg and go with an extra mid. Poholke/Pick 4/Gibbs

Hopefully that looks a bit better!

Looking at our 2’s is a bit tough as we have quite a few to add via the draftI’ll assume Gibbs plays ahead of EH:

Stengle Himmelberg

Frampton

DMac Poholke

Sholl Butts Hamill

Strachan Wright

No doubt I missed a couple.

Depth isn’t horrid

Doh - Seeds and Milera!!!! How did I forget those 2.

I did leave 3 spots up for grabs...but I’m not making excuses those 2 were forgotten and should be picked.

Probs swap out Atkins for Seed, which still leaves 2 spots. Depends a bit on opposition but the extra tall is Himmelberg then maybe McAdam. So:

Murphy Fogarty McAdam
Lynch Walker Sloane
Smith Crouch McHenry
Milera Hartigan Laird
Doedee Talia Brown
ROB Crouch Jones

Seedsman, Kelly, Gallucci, Himmelberg

I’d roll Ned through the forward line for some extra zip with Seed to his wing.

Alternative structure to leave out Himmelberg and go with an extra mid. Poholke/Pick 4/Gibbs

Hopefully that looks a bit better!
Has Tyson Stengle been anointed that's the question?

Actually there's a few pretty decent talls that could/should be available around our 2nd - 3rd round picks, a couple maybe even a little later.
In order of preference for me.

1. Josh Worrell - KPD/KPF - 195cm 83kg

2. Sam De Koning - KPD/KPF/RR - 201cm 86kg

3. Dyson Hilder - KPD - 196cm 91kg

4. Karl Finlay - KPD - 192cm - 88kg

Personally I'd like to see us draft a athletic developing Ruck/Forward and IMO there is a standout prospect in Charlie Comben in this draft.

Charlie Comben - Ruck/KPF - 199cm 82kg

Always appreciate the insights mate - some promising summaries there & sounds like we'll be in the right range to grab a couple. When the cons are just endurance + consistency for a young tall thats a lot to work with.

Do you think Worrell projects as a forward once he hits the AFL? (Comparable to Naughton, since we've seen how that transition went?)

Last edited:
Always appreciate the insights mate - some promising summaries there & sounds like we'll be in the right range to grab a couple. When the cons are just endurance + consistency for a young tall thats a lot to work with.

Do you think Worrell projects as a forward once he hits the AFL? (Comparable to Naughton, since we've seen how that transition went?)
I think bar for an injury later in the season Worrell would have been right up there with McAsey in 1st round contention and the Sandy Dragons could sorely have done with his input at either end in the Finals. It will be up to the club that drafts what way they go with him either as a half forward or half back, he's equally adept at both but perhaps my preference would be half back with his high level intercept marking and excellent ability below his knees for a tall player.

I remember at least a couple, and perhaps a few more gettable falling short with the shanks.
ROB's kicking is probably currently on par with Butcher the ex-Port player. Heart-in-your-mouth stuff when they have the ball, kicking for goals!
It’s a rare skill to kick a ball at greater than 90° to the direction of travel of your leg.

I wouldn’t trust ROB with any sort of goalkicking, but out of curiosity, in terms of field kicking, would you rather ROB or Brad Symes?

ROB will never be a Shaun Burgoyne and lace out passes to teammates, but he actually gets very good depth and penetration in his kicks when he wants to.

Compare that to Symes’ slow, loopy, eyeroll inducing kicks and I’d actually take ROB over him.

With one spot left on our list we have the following;

Experience
Nil games - 12 players
1 - 20 games - 9 players
21 - 50 games - 5 players
51 - 100 games - 5 players
101 - 200 games - 10 players
200+ games - 2 players

Age (at the start of the 2020 season)
18 - 21 - 17 players
22 - 25 - 14 players
26 - 29 - 9 players
30+ — 3 players

Tall Defenders
Talia, Hartigan, Butts, McAsey, Worrell

Medium/Small Defenders
Doedee, Smith, Brown, Laird, Kelly, Mackay, Hamill, Sholl, McPherson

Ruckmen
O’ Brien, Strachan

Midfielders
Sloane, Mrouch, Brouch, Milera, Gibbs, Jones, Seedsman, Atkins, Wilson, Schoenberg, O’Connor

Midfielders/Forwards
Gallucci, McHenry, Poholke, Davis, Gollant, Keays, Crocker, Knight

Tall Forwards
Walker, Fogarty

Tall Forwards/Second Rucks
Himmelberg, Frampton

Medium/Small Forwards
Lynch, Murphy, Stengle, McAdam

Overall, quite young and inexperienced. Lacking a third ruckman (can Frampton or Himmelberg play as the main ruckman?), a classy goal kicking pressure forward, another lockdown small defender and some quality outside mids. Hopefully some of the KIDS can step up (but I am still looking for cheap airfares to Europe in September!)

Thoughts????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Experience
Nil games - 12 players
1 - 20 games - 9 players
200+ games - 2 players

18 - 21 - 17 players
22 - 25 - 14 players
26 - 29 - 9 players
30+ — 3 players

Tall Defenders

Medium/Small Defenders

Ruckmen
O’ Brien, Strachan

Midfielders
Sloane, Mrouch, Brouch, Milera, Gibbs, Jones, Seedsman, Atkins, Wilson, Schoenberg, O’Connor

Midfielders/Forwards

Tall Forwards
Walker, Fogarty

Himmelberg, Frampton

Medium/Small Forwards

Overall, quite young and inexperienced. Lacking a third ruckman (can Frampton or Himmelberg play as the main ruckman?), a classy goal kicking pressure forward, another lockdown small defender and some quality outside mids. Hopefully some of the KIDS can step up (but I am still looking for cheap airfares to Europe in September!)

Thoughts????
Big change in age & experience distribution & won't be a threat until we have more players over 50 games & more mid age players.

Priority this year needs to be get games into the kids, particularly last year's crop.

Bringing Keays and Crocker in suggests the club has very little confidence in Davis as a medium forward; I’m puzzled as to why we signed him for another two years.
I'm hoping it's more a case that we have got rid of so much experience that we have grabbed 2 break glass players in case we have a big injury run

Experience
Nil games - 12 players
1 - 20 games - 9 players
200+ games - 2 players

18 - 21 - 17 players
22 - 25 - 14 players
26 - 29 - 9 players
30+ — 3 players

Tall Defenders

Medium/Small Defenders

Ruckmen
O’ Brien, Strachan

Midfielders

Midfielders/Forwards

Tall Forwards
Walker, Fogarty

Himmelberg, Frampton

Medium/Small Forwards

Thoughts????
Somehow, I get the feeling that Frampton is the one this year that may very well surprise many. I think he has a big upside and yep, he could compete in that ruck role if needed as he is aggressive. I think he might cement a spot in the best 22 - fingers crossed

Unfortunately we simply don’t need Lynch in our team.

We’re almost locked into playing a second ruck/tall forward, plus Walker and Fogarty, meaning we’ll be ‘2017 GF slow’ up forward if we also play Lynch. And I don’t believe he can play wing when we have options in Seed, Smith, Milera, a little bit of Sloane, and yes Atkins.

We need our tall forwards utterly surrounded by speed and pressure through a combo of Murphy, McHenry, Gooch, Jones, Sloane, maybe Keays and Crocker - and Stengle or McAdam if they make it.

Unfortunately we simply don’t need Lynch in our team.

We’re almost locked into playing a second ruck/tall forward, plus Walker and Fogarty, meaning we’ll be ‘2017 GF slow’ up forward if we also play Lynch. And I don’t believe he can play wing when we have options in Seed, Smith, Milera, a little bit of Sloane, and yes Atkins.

We need our tall forwards utterly surrounded by speed and pressure through a combo of Murphy, McHenry, Gooch, Jones, Sloane, maybe Keays and Crocker - and Stengle or McAdam if they make it.

Yup and we haven't for two years. You can't get rid of the third tall, and keep the fourth in the same role.

Should have traded when we had the chance, though it is certainly forgivable.

Yup and we haven't for two years. You can't get rid of the third tall, and keep the fourth in the same role.

Should have traded when we had the chance, though it is certainly forgivable.

Agree - I wanted him traded at the end of 2018. Worth a top 15 pick back then.

In hindsight, Sloane leaving then too could’ve landed us pick 4 from St Kilda and Rozee would be a Crow. Not disappointed Rory is a Crow for life though.

I'm hoping it's more a case that we have got rid of so much experience that we have grabbed 2 break glass players in case we have a big injury run

Both Bens also were delisted by the clubs that they grew up barracking for, so culturally they might be good for some of the other boys who dream of one day playing for other clubs.
Eg, you can think you are in your dream scenario, but the reality of the industry is you have to play out of your skin where you are at or the dream may be over. The 2 Bens will be good at showing hard work as both will want to earn spots at AFL level, both were also Junior captains, Keays at Qld U18 and Crocker at Oakleigh Chargers, so seem to be popular among their peers and coaches.

I think they will both definitely push some of the other guys for spots, Poholke, Gallucci, Davis, Wilson, Knight, Atkins, Mackay, McAdam and to a lesser extent Lynch/Gibbs (if they want to play in the AFL team), should be working their asses off or it will be lights out next year, as Crows are loaded up for the draft and will probably need to clear out at least 6 spots.

Stumbled over this thread on the main board, interesting read, with our clean out we are in good shape with older players, the unknown for us is the quality of our juniors because we haven’t exposed them.

Geelong are soon going to be in a world of pain, they better win a flag soon for their sake.

Even Richmond have some real stars ageing but at least they’ve won 2 and should be in the picture for the next couple.

I reckon within 2-3 years there will be a real changing of the guard and Carlton are going to have a good run.

Stumbled over this thread on the main board, interesting read, with our clean out we are in good shape with older players, the unknown for us is the quality of our juniors because we haven’t exposed them.

Geelong are soon going to be in a world of pain, they better win a flag soon for their sake.

Even Richmond have some real stars ageing but at least they’ve won 2 and should be in the picture for the next couple.

I reckon within 2-3 years there will be a real changing of the guard and Carlton are going to have a good run.
So we only have 5x 29+ old players - Mackay, Gibbs, Sloane, Walker & Lynch.

Mackay - shouldn't be best 22.

Gibbs - not much to replace on last year's form. Likely to play HBF this year & we have 3 recent young HBF coming through... well 2 if you count those actually playing.

Sloane - don't expect he will be retiring anytime soon, but we have drafted 3 quality midfielders in the last 2 years.

Walker - not sure if he has many years left & will be interesting to see if he plays better this year without the captaincy. We have Fog ready to play Tex's role, so more a case of finding JJ's replacement. Have Himmelberg & Frampton ready now & brought in 2 KPP this draft, so well placed.

Lynch - the connector has been important to our side, but not sure he should be in our best 22 to develop our future forward line. Hopefully Davis gets a better go this year... but would like to see Sloane transition into this role with spurts on ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back