Autopsy Forgettable Freo blitzed by Brissy

Remove this Banner Ad

But do you think Matera or Giro will be in our centre stoppages in the future? I would’ve much preferred to see Cerra or Tucker in the guys ahead of them.

Agree. Would have liked to see if Tucker could back up his good game in the centre stoppages a while ago, but he hasn't been tried there since. It is also Cerra's future position if he stays, so I would have liked to see him in there. Matera is a dual position player, so I don't mind that, but Giro seems like an outside runner to me at this point. Although, he is no shrinking violet by any means.

Had the morning free this morning so watched the first half of the Carlton game. Had no time in the afternoon and I've just watched the Brisbane replay - we were a completely different team, I don't even know if I'm meant to blame the bye, injuries or a good crop of Balingup Mushies on that performance.

One thing I'll say - we played like garbage for the majority of the first half of the season, and started to make thing click shortly before the bye - the youngsters picked up confidence and really 'made a go' of it, that's how we beat Adelaide and squashed Carlton in the first half; we were arrogant and daring in the most positive way possible. Momentum is a real thing and the 6PR nufties were probably right in suggesting the bye came at the worst possible time for us. The thing with 'hols' is how easy it is to throw the kids off balance - the amount of 1st year Uni students who ace their first semester, have mid-year break and disappear off the face of the planet for 2-3 years is par for the course. With oldies it just makes everything sore more sore - which explains Sandi blowing a calf and Mundy looking totally laconic.

Not making excuses for that drivel, there's clearly a lot going on beyond structure and group-cohesion - but you can't be surprised our toddler-aged Football side is going to drop the egg-and-cup when an older boy spooks them from behind.

We'll be a little less red next week.

May be (selectively) forgetting but I can't remember us playing that badly at home in recent history. That was hard to sit through for all 4 quarters. People getting up to leave early were being heckled "go support West Coast" but for once I don't actually blame them.

It was like the perfect storm for a disaster. Coming off a bye, with good momentum before the break and everyone expecting us to win and for Brisbane to lose. Sandi goes out minutes before the bounce. Apeness understandably starts like a deer in headlights, as does the entire midfield. Brisbane come out of the blocks ready to play and start putting some scores on the board. We regain control for a period with a heap of inside 50s but just could not kick a goal to save ourselves. Ball comes back the other way under minimal pressure through the middle of the ground, then on a platter for the Brisbane forwards, and even when we halved the contest they managed to draw a free kick for easy goals, or even worse, 50m penalties making it a certainty. Rinse and repeat with our players losing more and more confidence after every goal against. Fyfe gets injured and is out for the day and we hit breaking point. We were never going to recover after that and you could just see it with the body language and respective effort from all of our players. They seemed to want it to be over just as much as those of us watching.

We can pick out bits and pieces but the whole thing was a steaming pile of **** this afternoon. Tweaks around the edges aren't going to make any difference. The only option is to do what we do what we did three games ago. Accept it was atrocious and refocus to move forward and head into next round as the underdog with the opportunity to redeem ourselves with vastly better effort and intensity across the playing group. The only positive out of that, is we can't really be any worse next week.

But do you think Matera or Giro will be in our centre stoppages in the future? I would’ve much preferred to see Cerra or Tucker in the guys ahead of them.

Short answer is yeah they will continue to rotate through, but it would also be good to see Tucker and Cerra get some exposure there too.

I think I posted up previously that a few years ago, when they reduced the rotation cap, we trained a pre-season with the goal of Walters, Neale and Ballas rotating with each other through the midfield and up forward. Neale would rest forward, someone would go into the middle, and it would also aid in helping our guys lose their minder. Ballas struggled with the whole concept and to this day we only have Walters running through the middle now. Having Matera in the middle will get us back to having a bunch of smalls who can rotate between forward and midfield, and hopefully create some positional flexibility and mismatches. I don't mind it. Matera is a decent field kick.

Anyone have a comparison of the experience levels/age of the 2 sides today? There’s a site that does it but I not sure which one

Stolen from our inexperience watch thread. Hope Jivlain doesn't mind.

Pretty even in the games breakdown, all our young guys had good games today, but it can fluctuate week to week as you will know with youth.

Your young guys have the talent, not so obvious from this game but I've been impressed especially v the crows. But Does Lyon have the ability to develop talent?

View attachment 519765

• (0 to 10 games - Fremantle 2 vs. Brisbane 1)
  • 0 to 24 games - Fremantle 7 vs. Brisbane 4
  • 25 to 49 games - Fremantle 3 vs. Brisbane 4
  • 50 to 99 games - Fremantle 4 vs. Brisbane 6
  • 100 to 199 games - Fremantle 6 vs. Brisbane 7
  • 200+ games - Fremantle 2 vs. Brisbane 1
Extra stats:
  • Average games played - Fremantle 86.6 vs. Brisbane 87.6 (= +1 games on average)
  • Average age - Fremantle 24.7 vs. Brisbane 24.7 (= 0 years on average)
  • Average height - Fremantle 186.8cm vs. Brisbane 189cm (= +2.2cm on average)
  • Average weight - Fremantle 86.7kg vs. Brisbane 89.3kg (= +2.6kg on average)

Huh, we're up on experience and dead level on age. Obviously Hodge throws the averages right out, but, still, there ya go. The lines mostly run pretty close.

Pretty even in the games breakdown, all our young guys had good games today, but it can fluctuate week to week as you will know with youth.

Your young guys have the talent, not so obvious from this game but I've been impressed especially v the crows. But Does Lyon have the ability to develop talent?
That is terrible question. Did you come in and ask that after the Crows game you said yourself was good?

"Its never as bad or as good as it looks, especially if you are the Dockers." I think that's the saying.

That was honestly the most insipid performance I have ever seen from us. It was so bad that I dont really care. There is absolutely nothing to take away from that game since it was a teamwide effort of shite. Hard to believe it was the same team from last week. I could name 10 players that probably had their worst game for us (an impressive feat from the likes of Sheridan). I honestly think its impossible to analyse the game at all because from what I saw it was entirely due to lack of intensity and effort (shoutout to Arcassius for trying).

We played a retreat style of play today. We weren't attacking moving forward, just bombing.

Our defenders were second rate today, we had no big bodied inside midfielders when Fyfe went down, the lions switched the ball at every opportunity and found space and our youngsters got bullied by bigger bodies.

But the thing that shat me more than anything else? Giving away 50m penalties from set shots to make the goals certainties. One for being reckless, another from a bloody runner ????

Absolutely diabolical...

That is terrible question. Did you come in and ask that after the Crows game you said yourself was good?
I didn't come looking for an argument on it, wasnt meant to be a dig. Lyon has no history of building a team from the draft. I think it's a fair enough question. I'm not saying he doesn't and it will take a while before anyone knows.

There's more to it than just putting them out and getting games into them Leppa did that & got us nowhere. We have Fagan who is proving to be great with the development side. Our question going forward is can he he a good matchday coach when winning is the be all & end all.

I didn't come looking for an argument on it, wasnt meant to be a dig. Lyon has no history of building a team from the draft. I think it's a fair enough question. I'm not saying he doesn't and it will take a while before anyone knows.

There's more to it than just putting them out and getting games into them Leppa did that & got us nowhere. We have Fagan who is proving to be great with the development side. Our question going forward is can he he a good matchday coach when winning is the be all & end all.

Piss off

Go and enjoy the win on your own board

It's a throwaway comment that opposition supporters love to use as a jibe. Does Chris Fagan have a history of building a team from the draft? That's a fair question too and one just as throwaway as yours. I'm not saying he doesn't and it will take a while before anyone knows.

See what I did there? Now you can understand why people tell you to * off ;)

We were unrecognizable today. Some good offensive chains but otherwise very underwhelming. Sandilands is about a big a loss as you can have structure wise.

We played man-on-man across the ground, instead of +1 behind as has been the status quo for some time now. Was anything mentioned in the broadcast about this? There was quite a bit of discussion throughout the first quarter amongst the defenders about positioning, so either cobwebs from the bye or difficulty adapting to a different game plan.

Blakely was sorely missed in the middle with nobody there to clean up the handballs to grass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were unrecognizable today. Some good offensive chains but otherwise very underwhelming. Sandilands is about a big a loss as you can have structure wise.

It's crazy to think how much stuff would of been avoided if we had of named Darcy instead of Sandi. Not saying we were wrong to play Sandi, but just shows how our current set-up and developing game-plan is reliant on 2 ruck men.

Structurally, Pearce isn't pushed around the ground causing an imbalance down back at times. Apeness, who isn't at the fitness he would like to be isn't playing ruck for the majority of the game. Cox stays as a link up player and in the forward line at all times. Those 3 player rotations then cause the others to be mismatched and shuffled around until something felt workable, which takes too long then it's already game over against a well prepared side - WHICH is then scrambled even more without Fyfe in the middle / resting at any of the 50 lines.

I think Ross knew we were ****ed or at least in for a hard time. I don't recall a game where Ross had to address the playing group that close to the bounce.

These numbers are wrong, they include Sandi.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=9639

We were 6 months younger, 3cm shorter and 4kg lighter. Average games was 76 for Freo 12 less than Lions.

Brisbane got their second win for the year, and your questioning whether Lyon can develop youth?

But Does Lyon have the ability to develop talent?

Lol

Lyon has no history of building a team from the draft. I think it's a fair enough question. I'm not saying he doesn't and it will take a while before anyone knows.

There's more to it than just putting them out and getting games into them Leppa did that & got us nowhere.

To put it simply, Lyon already has more wins in 1.5 seasons than Leppa ever did as a coach. Let's wait a few years and see the comparison then.

It all started in the middle. Getting absolutely creamed in the clearances but center clearances were a disgrace. Even without Fyfe and Sandi our midfield should have been much better than theirs but they gave us a touch up.

It's crazy to think how much stuff would of been avoided if we had of named Darcy instead of Sandi. Not saying we were wrong to play Sandi, but just shows how our current set-up and developing game-plan is reliant on 2 ruck men.
Absolutely, or at the very least another 195+ forward - but it’s not like we have an abundance of those.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back