Forgetting your own coach, who are the best three coaches in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

There's one big anomaly with nearly all these lists.

There's premiership coach after premiership coach...

...and then there's Ross Lyon.

I'll continue to remain unconvinced by him until he actually wins something.

Dude he was at ST KILDA...and is at Fremantle. The guy can coach. Every one of his blokes regardless of ability is fully aware of their role. Or that is how it seems to this undeducated observer. I can't watch Lyon footy but you can't say it isn't effective (um..not that you did mind you).

I reckon the bloke can coach.

Dude he was at ST KILDA...and is at Fremantle. The guy can coach. Every one of his blokes regardless of ability is fully aware of their role. Or that is how it seems to this undeducated observer. I can't watch Lyon footy but you can't say it isn't effective (um..not that you did mind you).

I reckon the bloke can coach.

How many first round draft picks did he have at his disposal at the Saints? I think he inherited an under performing team and played them to their potential. But there's this air about him that he coaches "premiership football", except he's won zero premierships.

How many first round draft picks did he have at his disposal at the Saints? I think he inherited an under performing team and played them to their potential. But there's this air about him that he coaches "premiership football", except he's won zero premierships.

Not too surre about the premiership football 'air' but I believe Lyon's strength is getting the best out the bottom end of a list. That's where the improvement came from. If a coach can get a side to play to their potential then that's a pretty good guide to the fact that he can actually coach.

Up for grabs.

What did you think of Lyon's effort against Buckley last night? Brilliant coaching I thought.

How do you do that tag thingy?

I'm not a bombers supporter but the way Sheedy was able to continually win or contend for flags, play finals and never really bottom out (until the last 2 years) over a 25 year period was amazing. No other coaches record stands close to that. He was not gifted the best players from 2 merged clubs as was Mathews... he built and re-built and kept the players honest and hungry and always competitive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross Lyon. Has an extraordinary ability to transform his teams into something completely different. Fremantle are now a strong, powerful club, and that is mostly down to him. Have so much respect for him and his team.

Brendan McCartney. Is doing great things at Bulldogland. Is a really good development coach, but also a fine tactician on game day.

Ken Hinkley. Probably heavily based on his extraordinary achievements with Port this season, but he has overseen a remarkable transformation of that club. He deserves a lot of credit for that.

Also a big fan of Scott Watters, Damien Hardwick and Mick Malthouse.

Lyon in Grand finals 0 from 4 attempts.
Clarkson 2 from 3 attempts.

Lyon plays a boring style yet everyone still makes out he's the messiah.
Hasn't built a list only destroys them once he fails.
Pretty sure as a coach it is your responsibility to not only win games now but also continue to bring in young talent for the future.

My list;
Love the way Hinkley has gone about it.
Longmire for putting spark back in the Swans
McCartney very similar to Hinkley

3 years ago my dream was to have Bomber Thompson as coach, finally he is coaching us and now I just hope it will be for at least 3 years, Hird can come in and do another role. Bring on Bomber Thompson, my favourite person in footy.

My top three in no particular order are:

Roos, I am interested too see how he goes at Melbourne. He is a coach that gets the absolute best out of his players. A very very very good tactician. If anyone can turn the demons around, it'll be him. Would love him at the eagles.

Lyon, as much as I hate to say it, he is damn good. To get freo into their first grand final is amazing. And when you look at there list 2-3 years ago it was really ordinary. He turn them into a hard running team that play for each other. Very smart game day coach as well.

Mark Williams, I was hoping he would get the job once woosha left (I am very happy with who we got thou) he is a passionate coach, and that's how coaches should be. He will get the best out of the young players at any club.

On a side note seeing as Woosha isn't at the eagles I wasn't sure if I could put him, I'd have him ahead of Williams.

My top three in no particular order are:

Roos, I am interested too see how he goes at Melbourne. He is a coach that gets the absolute best out of his players. A very very very good tactician. If anyone can turn the demons around, it'll be him. Would love him at the eagles.

Lyon, as much as I hate to say it, he is damn good. To get freo into their first grand final is amazing. And when you look at there list 2-3 years ago it was really ordinary. He turn them into a hard running team that play for each other. Very smart game day coach as well.

Mark Williams, I was hoping he would get the job once woosha left (I am very happy with who we got thou) he is a passionate coach, and that's how coaches should be. He will get the best out of the young players at any club.

On a side note seeing as Woosha isn't at the eagles I wasn't sure if I could put him, I'd have him ahead of Williams.

Lyon actually did nothing the players were just developing, so really it was Harvey that injected those great players but do agree that he is a great coach, it is just that he is very sellfish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back