Forgotten Fog Files - permanent forward, midfielder or both?

Where do you want to see Fog play in 2024?

• Permanent forward, or forward of center.

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • Forward, with more midfield minutes than 2023.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Forward 75%, midfield 25%

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Forward 50%, midfield 50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Forward 25%, midfield 75%

• Mostly midfield, with some rest up forward

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there’s a middle ground where he can attend forward 50 stoppages first. And if he proves himself there first, then we can look at centre square squirts if required.

Im willing to acccept your compromise.
Ill will email 119 in the morning with instructions to pass on to Nicksy ;).

He's not a player worth experimenting with, his form already dropped after signing a contract. When tried in the midfield he couldn't touch the thing. We need him at his best in the forward line. Thilthorpe is an unreliable forward and Walker is 34.
Thilthorpe is only 21, so he will become more consistent as his body develops to the rigours of AFL & he gets more experience.

... but yeah, Fog is a forward & Tex replacement.

You know those games where a bigger,stronger midfield get a run on and completely obliterate us from centre bounces for a quarter-quarter and a half. Usually sees us cough up a healthy lead or having us jumped early before valiantly fighting back all game to lose by a kick?
Its those quarters that Fog is going cold, not contributing and fading out of the game anyways.
With no solution other than rotating our other lightweight mids through the centre so they too can get ragdolled, whats to lose?

Its pinch hitting, not resting the outcome of a game on his oh so fragile shoulders..

Edit: Its funny how many pundits Ive seen lambast Fog for fading out of games over the years, or calling for him to win more of his own ball in games where the Midfield have been comprehensively destroyed and the ball has barely been in the same 3rd as him all game. Yep, Fogs a confidence player that tends to go cold when starved of the ball.
Throwing him on ball a couple of times a quarter isnt going to do any harm.
The games where they get a run on has been when Nicks has panicked and throws Sloane and co. Into the midfield only to see us get murdered. When it looks like there’s nothing to lose he reverts to the younger brigade ( the ones supposedly being ragdolled) and play a more attacking game, getting the ball into the forward line quicker resulting in goals and a run on of our own.

We will have Dawson and Crouch in the midfield, two that won’t be ‘ragdolled’. Laird is another not to be pushed around, he’s usually first there anyway.
Pedlar won’t be thrown around when he goes in.
Rankine is too nimble.
Rachele may but it’s an apprenticeship for him, them all really.
Having Sloane, Laird and Crouch in the midfield is what will kill us.

Hinge would be better going for a run there with his penetrating left foot delivering to Fog and co.

I have always defended Fog even in the early days when almost everyone except southern takeover was calling for his head.
He IS a confidence player still. When he gets closer to 100 games that will hopefully mellow.
Let him play forward and wander up to half back like he does now. Leave the midfield to those that will end up playing there regularly, they need to get used to each other.

Usually it's better to do nothing. There is a reason why the idea of 'throwing the magnets around' has died as a coaching technique, as it tends to end up being detrimental to the side to try things mid-game.

Especially when you're talking about a guy who's already in a high-value role and has shown he has no real aptitude for midfield at the pro level because we spent years being confused by Fog being a tweener.
The question is, did we stop trying Fog in the midfield because he doesn’t look good enough with his attributes, or for other reasons? (eg. lack of AFL endurance, we needed him to play more up forward etc.)

If the reason(s) aren’t due to a lack of midfielder attributes, then the question becomes, would it be worth to try him again to see how he might fare now with increased strength, confidence and fitness (compared with where he was 2-3 years ago)?

As far as I can see, Fog has all the attributes to be at the very least a handy part-time midfielder if his endurance is up to par. I also don’t think playing him more midfield minutes will hinder his progress as a forward. Just to clarify, I prefer him to play as a forward, but would like to see him tried more midfield minutes to see how it goes this time.

Pity I’m not the only one asking this question, including possibly Fog himself. Are you sure you’re a Fog fan?
Lol, you must have missed the numerous STO posts calling out the selectors for not playing Fog enough in the earlier years.

He's been one of Fog's biggest fans!

Lol, you must have missed the numerous STO posts calling out the selectors for not playing Fog enough in the earlier years.

He's been one of Fog's biggest fans!
And you must have missed me being nothing but praise for Fog. No matter where he was played. His issue was always the endurance for me.

And you must have missed me being nothing but praise for Fog. No matter where he was played. His issue was always the endurance for me.
Where did I suggest otherwise, like you did with STO?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was being sarcastic with STO about him being a fog fan. Doesn’t mean he’s right about everything relating to Fog, does it?
I'm more closely aligned to STO's views on Fog than yours... but it's imo.

You missed the clip where Fog thinks himself as a potential midfielder when responding to a pre-draft interview? You think he’s being silly for thinking that?

I think the thread is delivering you the attention you were seeking, and that is the only purpose it fulfils.

No one who respects themselves is asking this question in 2023.

I'm more closely aligned to STO's views on Fog than yours... but it's imo.
This isn’t what we’re arguing about though. He’s insinuating I’m an idiot for posing a question on a player I fair dinkum love to watch.

The only idiot take is that you shouldn’t be able to ask questions about a Crows player on a footy forum talking about the Crows!

I think the thread is delivering you the attention you were seeking, and that is the only purpose it fulfils.

No one who respects themselves is asking this question in 2023.
By attention, you mean I’m getting a variety of responses…like that’s a bad thing in a discussion forum? Do you know much of a moron you are?

By attention, you mean I’m getting a variety of responses…like that’s a bad thing in a discussion forum? Do you know much of a moron you are?

Scorn, derision and mockery aren't really a variety.

Do you feel better now that everyone's looked at you making a goose of yourself again?

Scorn, derision and mockery aren't really a variety.

Do you feel better now that everyone's looked at you making a goose of yourself again?
You realise there’s at least half a dozen responses that thinks giving Fog more midfield minutes is worth a try? This doesn’t reflect the poll, but the responses give some spectrum of ideas, not this black and white world where you like to live in.

You realise there’s at least half a dozen responses that thinks giving Fog more midfield minutes is worth a try? This doesn’t reflect the poll, but the responses give some spectrum of ideas, not this black and white world where you like to live in.

Oh yeah, everyone's on the edge of their seat trying to work out where Fog plays this year

Oh yeah, everyone's on the edge of their seat trying to work out where Fog plays this year
Why do you need to speak on behalf of “everyone”? Let the people say what they want to say. This thread is definitely not off-topic, and if it was, the Mods can feel free to delete it.

Why do you need to speak on behalf of “everyone”? Let the people say what they want to say. This thread is definitely not off-topic, and if it was, the Mods can feel free to delete it.

The people can finally have their say on this important and perplexing issue, thank god we had you on the case starting threads

Back