Forgotten footy shows

Remove this Banner Ad

If you watched the wrap-up on the 1974 Grand Final on DVD, you'll probably hear Mike Williamson mentioned the guests for the viewers that got the grand final wrap-up live into Melbourne (The 1974 Grand Final went live around Australia except Melbourne. Melbourne viewers only saw live the grand final presentations and the wrap-up. The grand final itself wouldn't be live into Melbourne until 1977) that was going to be on the show 'Football Inquest' on Seven. The guests from memory were field umpire Ian Robinson, North Melbourne coach Ron Barassi, Richmond coach Tom Hafey, North captain Barry Davis and his Tiger counterpart Royce Hart.

The ABC on Saturday nights would have their own Footy Show - used to be up against the Big League on 7 and Young Talent Time on 10.

Tim Lane was the host, but, the dulcet tones of Ian Robertson, Doug Heywood, Doug Bigelow, Ian Cleland, "Skeeter" Coghlan, Gareth Andrews and Geoff Leek was quite good. it would review the days games and feature some highlights.

The other I remember fondly was VFA Sunday on Channel 0 then Channel 10. Often the Sydney games or Army Reserve Cup games on 7 weren't that great, so over to 10 and you can bank on seeing a brawl! As I grew up in the 80's, the team of Rex Hunt, Bruce McAvaney, Eddie McGuire and Stephen Quartermain was good to listen to.

I've just been loaned a copy of "Heart of the game" commemorating 45 years of footy on TV. 1957 - 2002.

It includes a list of every footy show by year with details of channel, day, time and length.

The ABC on Saturday nights would have their own Footy Show - used to be up against the Big League on 7 and Young Talent Time on 10.

Tim Lane was the host, but, the dulcet tones of Ian Robertson, Doug Heywood, Doug Bigelow, Ian Cleland, "Skeeter" Coghlan, Gareth Andrews and Geoff Leek was quite good. it would review the days games and feature some highlights.

The other I remember fondly was VFA Sunday on Channel 0 then Channel 10. Often the Sydney games or Army Reserve Cup games on 7 weren't that great, so over to 10 and you can bank on seeing a brawl! As I grew up in the 80's, the team of Rex Hunt, Bruce McAvaney, Eddie McGuire and Stephen Quartermain was good to listen to.

Oh Yep and one of the main instigators of on field brawls went on to become an MP for a seat once held by an ex PM.

The VFA had the best on field fights, some even flowed onto the crowd. I'm old enough to vaguely remember a dust up in 1976 between Sandringham v Oakleigh (help me there) where the crowd got stuck into it as well. Who remembers the older lady, Thelma, that used to go to the televised games and would bring the commentators bikkies and cakes etc. In fact Don Scott went to her funeral.

Other old shows from the Fox Footy Days

Living with Footballers - a WAG's show. Used the Sex and the City theme as their theme, need I say any more.

Grumpy Old Men - Bob Davis and a couple of other ex footballers reminiscing

The Collectors - an Antiques Roadshow style show where a valuer would visit people's places and value their football memorabilia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've just been loaned a copy of "Heart of the game" commemorating 45 years of footy on TV. 1957 - 2002.

It includes a list of every footy show by year with details of channel, day, time and length.

Was that the one hosted by Kevin Harrington? I don't recall the list of shows on that documentary.

The Collectors - an Antiques Roadshow style show where a valuer would visit people's places and value their football memorabilia.

That would actually sounds like a Descent Show

Oh Yep and one of the main instigators of on field brawls went on to become an MP for a seat once held by an ex PM.

The VFA had the best on field fights, some even flowed onto the crowd. I'm old enough to vaguely remember a dust up in 1976 between Sandringham v Oakleigh (help me there) where the crowd got stuck into it as well. Who remembers the older lady, Thelma, that used to go to the televised games and would bring the commentators bikkies and cakes etc. In fact Don Scott went to her funeral.

But who could ever forget the grand final played later that year-Port v Dandenong, Port's Fred Cook KO'd by Dandy's Darryl Harper; the late Eddie Melai (as Dandenong's runner) laying into a couple of Port players; one of Port's trainers in tears of seeing Cook out for the count; Harper king-hitting Port captain-coach Norm Brown. Channel 10's Phil Gibbs must've thought all his Christmases had come at once.

But who could ever forget the grand final played later that year-Port v Dandenong, Port's Fred Cook KO'd by Dandy's Darryl Harper; the late Eddie Melai (as Dandenong's runner) laying into a couple of Port players; one of Port's trainers in tears of seeing Cook out for the count; Harper king-hitting Port captain-coach Norm Brown. Channel 10's Phil Gibbs must've thought all his Christmases had come at once.

I've read an interview with Gibbs saying that often the cameras would miss the fights in the early days and they'd get the players to do it again to capture it for the viewers (player mentioned as an example was former Essendon president and then player at Prahran Graeme McMahon!)

Who remembers Cometti Live? Lasted one year in 2002

That show was given to Commetti to no doubt lure him to Channel 9 once 7s rights finished up at the end of 2001.

I went in to that show frm Perth with Maumill, Grilusich, Malthouse etc. Free booze! Wasn't a bad show, Maumill is the only one I like out of all of them though, Gary Carvolth is now a real estate agent.

Rexy's Footy panel on a Sunday morning always was great viewing before the Sunday game on Seven.

Gee, footy on TV, particularly on Seven, has gone downhill since then...

Sportswatch. Hosted by Bruce McAvaney. A great concept. Just screaned at the time the footy was on Ch10 and Ch2. Had Dunstall as one of the experts on the footy side of things.

And it also had John Harker on it as well, which blew my mind because before then I just knew him as the Napisan guy. Didn't realise he was more than an actor.

Yeah, the concept has legs and has worked overseas. We might see it again.

And it also had John Harker on it as well, which blew my mind because before then I just knew him as the Napisan guy. Didn't realise he was more than an actor.

Yeah, the concept has legs and has worked overseas. We might see it again.

Harker was a Seven man for years. I first came across him when Melbourne got Sportsworld on Sunday mornings and he was in Sydney.

Four Quarters
I got invited to a kids house when I was 9 or 10 to play Kick to Kick with Wayne Carey in their weekly segment.

Sheedy, Archer and Anthony Stevens were all there too iirc.

Had some story where Sheedy was pretending to be Carey and revealed his treachery by removing a mask but I was too young to really pay attention.

I remember a segment where Carey was having a kick with kids on the street.
The ball went into a house where apparently it was haunted. A witch lived there and there were evil dogs.:rolleyes:
Carey told the kids dw il go in and get it.
He went in you heard the dogs barking and then Duck came out with the ball.
His jumper was ripped but he was okay and the kids were cheering.
Then his eyes flashed purple in an evil manner and the kids s**t themselves and ran off.
I was 7 at the time and thought it was real. i was scared of the Duck when i saw it. Several more friday night matches later and Carey was my hero again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back