Forgotten Shield players from the 90's

Remove this Banner Ad

Mine would've been around 2002, in hindsight a touch surprising they were still smoking directly after a game given by then you'd have thought they'd be having their fitness and stuff closely monitored.

Sidebar - there's footage of the 1986 SANFL prelim between Glenelg and Woodville. Scores are very close in the last quarter, camera pans to then Woodville coach Malcolm Blight who is sitting in the stands sucking on a durry. Absolute gold.

Not a player as such, but I remember watching a Mercantile Mutual Cup game when the Aussies weren't playing and Berry kept up to the stumps to Paul Reiffel who was opening for Australia at the time.

How I lament that quality glovemen are a thing of the past and we go for bit part keepers who can bat these days.

i remarked the same thing yeterday to a friend who played district cricket. asked how berry didnt get a game for aust...or more of a go. and ill always remember the leg side stumping he did keeping upto the stumps from paul reiffel at the gabba

i remarked the same thing yeterday to a friend who played district cricket. asked how berry didnt get a game for aust...or more of a go. and ill always remember the leg side stumping he did keeping upto the stumps from paul reiffel at the gabba

Would have thought that the answer to that was fairly obvious:

images

Berry was pretty bloody unlucky but Gilchrist was a phenomenon. Wade Seccombe was a very accomplished keeper too and at times was ahead of Berry in the pecking order.

Would have thought that the answer to that was fairly obvious:

images

Berry was pretty bloody unlucky but Gilchrist was a phenomenon. Wade Seccombe was a very accomplished keeper too and at times was ahead of Berry in the pecking order.

I think the idea is moreso that he should have been next in line after Healy in that pre-Gilchrist period, instead of guys like Phil Emery (one Test, one ODI), and then in there before guys like Haddin, Ryan Campbell and Jimmy Maher later on (when Gilchrist wasn't playing at times), especially given his relationship/synergy with Shane Warne.

To be fair though, Berry and Seccombe probably just weren't good enough batsmen, even by wicketkeeper standards (both averaged low 20s in First Class cricket), especially when someone like Gilchrist (who could have just as easily played as a batsman) was around.

I think the idea is moreso that he should have been next in line after Healy in that pre-Gilchrist period, instead of guys like Phil Emery (one Test, one ODI), and then in there before guys like Haddin, Ryan Campbell and Jimmy Maher later on (when Gilchrist wasn't playing at times), especially given his relationship/synergy with Shane Warne.

To be fair though, Berry and Seccombe probably just weren't good enough batsmen, even by wicketkeeper standards (both averaged low 20s in First Class cricket), especially when someone like Gilchrist (who could have just as easily played as a batsman) was around.

If we're talking ODI's, his record as a batsman in domestic one dayers makes for pretty horrific reading.

http://cricketarchive.com/SouthAustralia/Players/5/5685/a_Batting_by_Season.html

Haddin and Campbell were far better batsmen. Maher was pretty much selected as a backup batsman to provide maximum flexibility since Gilchrist was so durable and rarely missed a game anyway.

Had a much better case to be the backup keeper in the test squad but even then his batting in the Shield wasn't really up to scratch.

http://cricketarchive.com/SouthAustralia/Players/5/5685/f_Batting_by_Season.html

I know there's the inevitable argument that it should be about who is the best keeper, but I think the selectors of the time can sleep pretty comfortably knowing they got the utmost out of two of the all time greats in Healy and Gilchrist.

Last edited:
Reading Siddons' profile on CricInfo and it says it took him about a year to recover from the stomach bug he got in Pakistan. I had heard that he got sick on a tour but never realised it took so much out of him. Also didn't realise he was 173cm's and 66kg's. That is tiny.

Siddo used to run a sports store in Mildura. I bought my Everton scarf from him.

Berry is a tool, glad he never got selected.
Supposedly Ryan Campbell invented the ramp shot during a game because he was trying to hit Berry in the face

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warne and Berry were great mates, Warne hates Gilchrist because he dudded Berry out of replacing Healy.

Berry's batting was dire, he'd have been lucky to average 20 at Test level.
later on his career, he improved his batting tremendously, but was still no where near the capability of Gilchrist & co

Healy years ago described berry at the time the best pure glove man that was going around in the country

Great names XI

1 Graeme Vimpani
2 Michael Di Venuto
3 Richard Chee Quee *
4 Simon Dart
5 Clinton Perren
6 Sean Clingleffer
7 Wade Seccombe+
8 Ashley Noffke
9 Shaun Bradstreet
10 Brendan Joseland
11 Scott Kremerskothen
12th man: Jason Arnberger

Last edited:
Great names XI

1 Graeme Vimpani
2 Michael Di Venuto
3 Richard Chee Quee *
4 Simon Dart
5 Clinton Perren
6 Sean Clingleffer
7 Wade Seccombe+
8 Ashley Noffke
9 Shaun Bradstreet
10 Brendan Joseland
11 Scott Kremerskothen
12th man: Jason Arnberger

Noffke is a good one. Had a really good Ashes tour in 2001, but after that was never in the right time in the right place with others overtaking him.

Bloody handy cricketer though, not just with the ball and liked having him over in WA for the last couple of years of his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back