Current Former Blue Heelers actor Australian Karm (Cam) Gillespie sentenced to death in China.

Up until now the only press I'd seen on this was when Gillespie, a former actor who appeared in Blue Heelers was arrested at Guangzhou China with a suitcase containing 7.5kg of meth. That was seven years ago, there appears to have been no news between then and now.

There is only a 10 day window for Gillespie to appeal his death sentence.

Some background is that China has been angry since Australia among others, called for an independent inquiry into the origins of the Covid 19 virus as it certainly seemed to first make it's appearance in the Chinese city of Wuhan. Beijing warned Chinese citizens against travelling to 'racist' Australia and to reconsider study, banned Australian beef imports and placed tariffs on our barley. The timing of these fraught relations mired in diplomatic disputes with China are raising concerns Gillespie may become a casualty.

China has many secrets, including how many people they execute but there is some history of setting foreigners before the firing squad if rarely westerners. In a first for Canada, Robert Lloyd Schellenberg was also sentenced to death for smuggling heroin in 2019.

This is a reminder to all Australians ... that Australian laws don't apply overseas, that other countries have much harsher penalties, particularly in relation to matters such as drug trafficking. You could end up before a firing squad and we won't be able to save you.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas

Other friends expressed their astonishment online, saying they had been trying to find him after his disappearance.
... "We spent a few years trying to find out how he could disappear so suddenly and so entirely. After that, we resigned ourselves to the idea that he had left because he wanted to start a new life," Mr Hamilton wrote on Facebook.

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Do the crime, do the time. I hate drugs, dealers and traffickers. Let him rot.

Absolutely embarrassing when our politicians start meddling in overseas crimes and laws on behalf of some scumbag. 👎

Uh oh.

PlotThickens.png

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Last edited:
Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
See from about the 14:25 mark in the below video for the entrance of Craig (Karm) Gillespie's (Gilespie) long haired pyromaniac character (Keenan Sykes) in the Blue Heelers "Bloodstained Angels" episode 1997
All 30 seconds of it.
Hardly a starring role
Blink and you'll miss it.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas

Mr Gilespie’s friend, Roger James Hamilton, wrote on Facebook that the former Blue Heelers actor had a meeting with a “group of Chinese business people” prior to his flight and that the group “agreed to invest in one of Karm’s projects”.
But he says they duped him by asking him to carry “gifts” on board the flight.
“They gave him gifts as a show of good faith of their intentions; brand name leather goods and luggage. In the linings of the gifts of course is where the drugs were stashed”.
Mr Hamilton says the reason Mr Gilespie’s case was kept secret for so long is because his lawyer was trying to negotiate with China for his release.
“No one knew about the arrest … (because) … they thought it would jeopardise the negotiations,” Mr Hamilton wrote.
“That approach has obviously failed.”

Has anyone else verified Mr Hamilton's above account of what really happened?

Roger is a world renowned futurist, New York Times bestselling author and entrepreneur who mentors Entrepreneurs to grow their enterprises and find their flow. Roger is the founder of Genius Group, a $100 million group of companies leading the entrepreneur movement. Genius Group includes his tech company, GeniusU which connects entrepreneurs to the smartest knowledge, connections and opportunities, and is growing from a $50 million to $80 million venture builder in the coming year. It also includes Entrepreneurs Institute, which is the largest Entrepreneur Network in the world, with over 2,000,000 entrepreneurs in over 200 cities.

graduated from Cambridge University in 1989 with a bachelor's degree in Architecture.

All such good friends but nobody mentions he is “missing” or arrested in China 7 years ago? embassy not informed? Family etc.

I saw a small piece in MSM on this years ago then it went quiet. The article didn't have him as an actor, rather played up his football skills. I remember it clearly because I thought at the time 'you idiot' and made a note to have another chat to my kids about keeping eyes on their luggage at all times, make it light and don't take gifts when they travel etc. Around the same time an Australian woman was also arrested on similar charges in China but I can't find anything on that now either.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
I saw a small piece in MSM on this years ago then it went quiet. The article didn't have him as an actor, rather played up his football skills. I remember it clearly because I thought at the time 'you idiot' and made a note to have another chat to my kids about keeping eyes on their luggage at all times, make it light and don't take gifts when they travel etc. Around the same time an Australian woman was also arrested on similar charges in China but I can't find anything on that now either.

So it appears that things have been removed from the internet after his arrest 2013, and those claiming that his arrest was never made public, are either lying, misinforming, have been misreported, or were never aware of the media reports at the time before they were removed.

So it appears that things have been removed from the internet after his arrest 2013, and those claiming that his arrest was never made public, are either lying, misinforming, have been misreported, or were never aware of the media reports at the time before they were removed.

How many Australians could be facing charges that carry the death penalty and incarcerated in China atm?

South China Morning Post has him as Cam Gillespie.

The Guangzhou Intermediate People’s Court announced the sentencing of Cam Gillespie on Saturday, Australian Associated Press reported. Gillespie, who has been identified in some media reports as “Karm Gillespie”, was arrested with more than 7.5kg of methamphetamine in his check-in luggage in 2013 while attempting to board an international flight from Baiyun Airport in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou, it said.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
How many Australians could be facing charges that carry the death penalty and incarcerated in China atm?

<10 according to the below media report

Actor Karm Gilespie sentenced to death in China for drug smuggling
Will Glasgow

China Correspondent
921123432b8ca003e67d41ffb69db16e
3:40PM June 14, 2020

The Australian understands that at the end of 2019 more than 100 Australians were under arrest in China, most on charges of drug trafficking or fraud.
Most of the cases have never been publicised, with the writer Dr. Yang Hengjun — who remains under arrest after being detained in January 2019 – a rare exception.
Less than ten of these involve cases that could end with execution.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
South China Morning Post has him as Cam Gillespie.

Maybe they and the West Australian newspaper and SBS got the name "Cam" from reading this thread ... lol

Australian man Cam Gillespie sentenced to death in China for drug smuggling
AAP
Saturday, 13 June 2020 4:36PM
...Cam Gillespie was arrested with more than 7.5 kilograms of methamphetamine in his check-in luggage in 2013 while attempting to board an international flight from Baiyun Airport in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou....

(the revised version - see below for the original google cached one)

[/URL]

The man, named in Chinese pinyin as "Kamu Jielaisibi" and identified by some Australian media as Cam Gillespie, was handed the death penalty by Guangzhou Intermediate People's Court on Wednesday, according to a notice posted on the court website.

Last edited:
Back