Current Former Blue Heelers actor Australian Karm (Cam) Gillespie sentenced to death in China.

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a few other references to Kamu

The person, named in Chinese pinyin as “Kamu Jielaisibi”, was handed the death penalty by Guangzhou Intermediate People’s Court on Wednesday, according to a notice posted on the court website that day.

The person, named in Chinese pinyin as “Kamu Jielaisibi,” was handed the death penalty by Guangzhou Intermediate People’s Court on Wednesday, according to a notice posted on the court website that day.

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 1.23.29 pm.png

CLARIFICATION - A previous version of this story identified the sentenced Australian man as Cam Gillespie. His name is Karm Gilespie.

Not often you see name clarification's like that for those facing the death penalty.

More than 3,000 paramilitary forces and police descended on a small coastal village in China's Guangdong province -- many of them in helicopters and speedboats.
In the early hours of Sunday, they conducted 109 raids in Boshe, a village of 14,000 people.
In the massive crackdown on the region's illicit narcotic trade, police seized three tons of crystalline methamphetamine, also known as crystal meth or ice, and arrested 182 people with suspected links to 18 drug rings, according to a statement released Thursday by Guangdong's public security bureau.
They recovered another 100 tons of raw materials for producing drugs, as well as guns, knives and a grenade, a spokesperson for the public security bureau told CNN on Friday.Some 77 drug factories were shut down in the raid, police say.

3 Jan 2014 was a Friday.

So the Sunday prior to this was 29 Dec 2013, which is 2 days before the alleged 31 Dec 2013 date that Cam/Kamu/Karm/Craig was reported to have been arrested in China.

The Sunday 29 Dec 2013 date is confirmed by a translation of the following which was linked in the above CNN article.
Guangdong police launch "Thunder Drugs" operation (Photos)
Release Date: 2014-01-02 Views: 2514   
Source: Guangdong Provincial Public Security Department
Article Summary: At 4 o'clock on the morning of December 29, the Deputy Governor and Director of the Public Security Department Li Chunsheng served as the Chief Commander, the Deputy Director of the Provincial Public Security Department Guo Shaobo, and Shanwei City Public Security Director Yang Zhiming served as the Deputy Chief Commander of the "Thunderbolt" operation command At the order of the Ministry, the public security, armed police, and border guards mobilized to hear the police. Taking Shanwei City as the main battlefield, they carried out a unified net-collecting operation in some provinces and cities in Fujian and in Fujian, Chongqing, Guangxi, and other regions. 18 super-large drug trafficking criminal gangs led by drug lords, arrested 182 network members, destroyed 77 drug manufacturing factories and 1 explosive manufacturing den, seized 2,925 kg of methamphetamine, 260 kg of K powder, over 100 tons of raw materials for drug production, and firearms There were 62 rounds of 9 bullets, 1 grenade, a batch of controlled knives and crossbows, and a group of poison-making tools, which achieved remarkable results.

Remind me, was Cam/Kamu/Karm/Craig, alleged to have been carrying drugs into, out of, or within China?

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says Foreign Minister Marise Payne has raised the case of Karm Gilespie, the Australian man sentenced to death in China, with her Chinese counterpart. Mr Gilespie was sentenced to the death penalty 6.5 years after he was arrested on drug smuggling charges. "Australia's opposition to the death penalty is bipartisan, multipartisan, unanimous, principled, consistent and well-known,"Mr Morrison told parliament during Question Time. "We advocate consistently with the abolition of the death penalty world wide by every diplomatic avenue available to us. We will continue to provide Mr Gilespie with consular assistance. Our thoughts are with him, his family and his loved ones."

Has anyone else verified Mr Hamilton's above account of what really happened?

This might indicate Gilespie's family, Gillespie with two 'l's' would prefer him to be quiet.

"Our family is very saddened by the situation. We will not be making any public comment and ask that the media respects our privacy at this difficult time," the statement said.
"We also request that friends and acquaintances of Karm refrain from speculating on his current circumstances, which we do not believe assists his case."

During Question Time in Parliament today, Foreign Minister Marise Payne was asked why the Australian public only learned about Mr Gilespie's case after he had been sentenced to death.
But she said appropriate assistance had been provided to Mr Gilespie since his arrest.
"Every consular case with which the Government deals is different, and every consular case is handled in consultation with [diplomatic] posts, family and legal representatives in the most appropriate way," she said.

The lesson from this is one of expectations management for the general public.

In future, one consideration for the (non - family) friends and acquaintances of any missing Australian persons,
is that they might possibly have been arrested overseas and be and continue to be in an overseas jail for years.

I assume that at least one of his friends/acquaintances contacted either DFAT, Crimestoppers or their State or Federal Police to report their friend as a missing person?

I guess that the official response to any such report(s), would have been something like, that DFAT or police had confirmation that he was not a missing person.

7.5kg would be a lot of handbags to be carrying. Surely hefting the bag containing them would set of some alarm bells for any half aware person.

Maybe there never was 7.5kg of drugs in the handbags in the first place.

Maybe only 0.1kg, or just a few diamonds, a little bit of castor sugar, or maybe even just thin air.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7.5kg would be a lot of handbags to be carrying. Surely hefting the bag containing them would set of some alarm bells for any half aware person.

Shapelle didn’t know her boogie board bag was full of marijuana and Cocaine Cassie had no idea the 15 headphones she bought were full of cocaine.

China has arrested two Canadians on charges of spying and Justin Trudeau has basically said it's payback for Vancouver arresting Huawei's global chief financial officer on behalf of the US. The charges Huawei's executive is facing are something to do with violating US sanctions against Iran.

Might not end well for Gilespie.

Despite claims by Gilespie's friends that the Ballarat-born father of two was duped into carrying bags lined with methamphetamines after meeting with Chinese property investors, the Australian government holds no doubts over Gilespie's guilt.
Does everyone else think that the above is saying that the Australian Government's position is that Gillespie is guilty as charged and convicted?
The Australian government largely takes the opposite view, believing Gilespie's best chance lies in keeping the case under the radar until relations between Australia and China start to recover.

The article provides absolutely nothing on where this alleged information on the Australian Government's position on Gilespie's. The article does not even include a whiff of something like "a Government source .....".

Edit: added "and convicted".

Last edited:
Does everyone else think that the above is saying that the Australian Government's position is that Gillespie is guilty as charged?

Yes but what else can they say? If our government's stand was anything other than China would view it as a lack of respect and might get him shot sooner rather than later.

No surprise this has gone quiet, I cant find anything new and most of our press have left China in a hurry.
Earlier in the thread you mentioned a young woman arrested similarly who you couldn’t recall - I think you might be thinking of Kalynda Davis?

Earlier in the thread you mentioned a young woman arrested similarly who you couldn’t recall - I think you might be thinking of Kalynda Davis?

Yes, thanks that might be her. I thought it was more recently but it might have been as far back in 2014.

Yes, thanks that might be her. I thought it was more recently but it might have been as far back in 2014.
It’s funny you say that - I always think KD was more recent than she was. I think it’s because it sticks in my mind because she was given very special VIP treatment from the Australian government.

There was a real - er - epidemic of people being arrested on drugs charges in Guangzhou for a couple of years when it became a trafficking hub. From memory there is at least one other Australian on death row now; I think he got a suspended death sentence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back