Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
HR boss should get the chop.
‘I employ 20 people per year at the very least.
I google search every prospective candidate
my younger staff check Insta, Snapchat and facebook
it ain’t hard and we have found some red flags in doing our due diligence
why can’t a 60 million dollar per year business get it right
we are a joke
Just so you know, your SM searches are legally shaky at best, a violation of recruitment discrimination laws at worst.

Not to say that lots of places don’t do it, but I wouldn’t be going around announcing it.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Probably. So far his only real successes have been outsourcing a review of the club and outsourcing the selection of the new coach. Both of which I agree with for what it's worth, but they aren't really decisions that needed any kind of tactical genius.
...and the second of those was forced by circumstance rather than by design. He should f*** right off.

frodos gardener

All Australian
Apr 4, 2022
AFL Club
Essendon
The President has had another bad day but he can turn it around again if he:
a. Releases the findings of the external review and moves swiftly to implement key recommensations
b. Move Dodoro on
c. Appoints a CEO with a good reputation

We know he moves quickly when he decides to so I reckon a and c won’t be far away (a few weeks maybe) and Dodoro I do think will be moved on after the draft. He (Barham) will probably flag it earlier in a roundabout way by mentioning some changes to how we recruit and give Dodoro a chance to resign on his own terms.

Cup_o_Jobe

All Australian
Aug 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
is is a fairly simple case of conflict of duties. He was the head of an organization with tenets that include "abortion is comparable to concentration camps" and "active LGBTQI relationships shouldn't exist". This isn't your grandma at Sunday service talking about her favorite saint. These are despicable views that have no place in modern society, and ought be universally condemned by all people of good conscience. They not only fall short of respectable views, they are wholly reprehensible views.

Thorburn was clearly given a choice by the Board that he couldn't stay chair of both organizations given the clear conflict. That he chose to remain chair of the church over the club speaks volumes. His genuinely embarrassing LinkedIn post - full of victimhood and strawman wailing - shows he lacks the emotional maturity to serve as a leader and we clearly dodged a bullet by his resigning.

This isn't about how he behaves or his track record or what nice sanitized things he says: it's about how the staff member or player feels in their workplace in the day to day. It's about how confident they are if they needed help with something the boss would be able in their corner.

People like to bang on a lot about respecting views (almost universally meaning "people ought be allowed to engage in consequence-free hate speech"): but how about we start with respecting people's right to exist and feel supported and enfranchised in their workplace.

By the by, as shockingly inept as it was that the Board didn't know about this before the appointment - speaks to a worrying lack of due diligence - it is a relief they reacted so appropriately and decisively when it came to light. Not a whole lot of comfort there, but some.

Holding on to the concept that the club has to charge through a period of peak absurdity to exorcise all of its demons and abjure their belief that VFL practices still hold water, for it to then grow up.

One might have hoped that the events of 10 years ago might have helped with that but if you hold onto the concept that A) The fix is in, B) everyone else was doing it and C) it wasn't actually our fault this is where you wind up.

On the plus side, King Jean I 'The Posthumous' of France can now point at Thorburn and say "well at least I'm not that guy"

Arctic fox

It's only a game
Mar 22, 2017
Out west
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
There is zero chance neither Thorburn nor Essendon knew about the stance of the church. Within minutes of it being announced online, just random Joes on twitter were talking about it. If neither Thorburn nor Essendon knew then that would be an astounding level of ignorance, even for us. So I assume they absolutely knew but just hoped no one would care - not good.

I'm glad he's gone, and don't really see this as a big a mess as people suggest. The media labelling us in "turmoil" again is over the top. We are in no different a position as we were in a couple of days ago when we were being lauded for getting ourselves back on track.
So Sheedy was right about the board NOT telling the truth....again!!!

So if old mate was unfit to run a football club does that also render him unfit to chair an external review?

Let's start again ppl

It's strange that the media could not find these excerpts from a sermon in 2013, before Thorburn started the external review, or even since he left NAB - Too many gullible in society who are trusting of the media. As long as this continues then we will have a fractured society.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
is is a fairly simple case of conflict of duties. He was the head of an organization with tenets that include "abortion is comparable to concentration camps" and "active LGBTQI relationships shouldn't exist". This isn't your grandma at Sunday service talking about her favorite saint. These are despicable views that have no place in modern society, and ought be universally condemned by all people of good conscience. They not only fall short of respectable views, they are wholly reprehensible views.

Thorburn was clearly given a choice by the Board that he couldn't stay chair of both organizations given the clear conflict. That he chose to remain chair of the church over the club speaks volumes. His genuinely embarrassing LinkedIn post - full of victimhood and strawman wailing - shows he lacks the emotional maturity to serve as a leader and we clearly dodged a bullet by his resigning.

This isn't about how he behaves or his track record or what nice sanitized things he says: it's about how the staff member or player feels in their workplace in the day to day. It's about how confident they are if they needed help with something the boss would be able in their corner.

People like to bang on a lot about respecting views (almost universally meaning "people ought be allowed to engage in consequence-free hate speech"): but how about we start with respecting people's right to exist and feel supported and enfranchised in their workplace.

By the by, as shockingly inept as it was that the Board didn't know about this before the appointment - speaks to a worrying lack of due diligence - it is a relief they reacted so appropriately and decisively when it came to light. Not a whole lot of comfort there, but some.

The club's due diligence might only have looked at his professional career at the NAB, and there's nothing in his time at the NAB to suggest he holds such strong regressive views.

Assume Dominic Perrottet will step down as NSW Premier today as he is deeply Christian, voted against decriminalising abortion in 2019 and is against same sex marriage..as is probably half of members of Conservative parties

Extraordinary turn of events

The rate things are going, Sheedy is going to have to remove Barham.
That’s my genuine fear; that Sheedy uses this second public * up of Barham’s to mount a board challenge/spill.

Even if it’s not for another twelve months on a rival ticket after stepping down beforehand, I just can’t see Sheedy letting this go, and as much as I want Barham to succeed, it would be hard to convince casual supporters that Sheedy is wrong in his criticisms.

Feb 13, 2016
Coogee
AFL Club
Essendon
Assume Dominic Perrottet will step down as NSW Premier today as he is deeply Christian, voted against decriminalising abortion in 2019 and is against same sex marriage..as is probably half of members of Conservative parties

Extraordinary turn of events

But Perrottet is the leader of a party that also holds those views. Can you see the difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol

But Perrottet is the leader of a party that also holds those views. Can you see the difference?
What? So it’s ok for one of our two major political parties to hold those views and to lead a state and not ok for Thorburn to be a member of a church that holds similar views and lead a football club?

Feb 13, 2016
Coogee
AFL Club
Essendon
What? So it’s ok for one of our two major political parties to hold those views and to lead a state and not ok for Thorburn to be a member of a church that holds similar views and lead a football club?
It’s fine, unless the club doesn’t want that. You’re making this into something bigger than it is.

It’s fine, unless the club doesn’t want that. You’re making this into something bigger than it is.
No I think others have made this bigger than what it is

Feb 13, 2016
Coogee
AFL Club
Essendon
Quite the conundrum. The club should just change it’s policy to ”everyone is welcome except those who hold strong faith and religions based views”

I wonder if people undergoing life saving surgery today are concerned about the beliefs and faith of the surgeon about to perform life saving surgery on them.

Quite the conundrum.
Is the surgery abortion by any chance?

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
No I think others have made this bigger than what it is
He is not an elected figure
how would women and the gay community feel if this appointment was ratified once his views were acknowledged
what if one of our players- man or woman was gay- they would feel absolutely marginalised by the ceo being aligned with such views

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Anyway, artists impression of works underway at the Hangar, though, 3 months is long service leave in our case!
1664913534103.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back