Retired Matthew Boyd (#904)

Remove this Banner Ad

No need to start personal attacks. And maybe you should be a little clearer, because you make almost zero sense.
Oh, and you guys do make sense:confused:. to many rose coloured glass's on this site.

reality check, we have not improved at all on last year. Oh my bad we have improved slightly, we only lost by an combined score of 44 points. In stead of our 10 goal plus belting's:eek:

Could Boyd re-invent himself as Ling style tagger?

He would be an awesome full time tagger. I believe he would still get 20 possessions plus per game.

He would still turn the ball over but would stop his opponent.

We would have a much better result.

I don't understand why Boyd feels he needs to bomb it aimlessly. Crossy always played within his limitations and never hurt the team much as Boyd. He really should be reinvented as a tagger. Clay, Libba, Wallis, Lower and Stevens can easily replace his ball-winning ability if given the chance.

It's not that Boyd bombs it aimlessly (the rest of the side does that too) it's when he's in the clear with the ball and shanks his kicks completely that really lets the side down.

Nab cup and all... But looks to be business as usual this year in that regard.

Where did I say he should step down and our kicking efficiency improves. So maybe get this clear in your ******* head, As a leader he needs to set the example.

I understand some posters maybe a little slow, so from now on I will spell it out a bit clearer.

Thanks for clearing it up in my ******* head Staphy. For a minute there I thought you were blaming Boyds poor disposal (which I agree can be better btw) for the teams inability to hit targets last night…. Because we both know it would be ******* stupid to think Boyd being Captain is the reason for our kicking woes…… Oh and I appreciate you slowing it down a little for us not so switched on folk..

Think Jong needs to learn to clear the ball better from the back half with his kicking
Looks spooked when had the ball in hand, but him been in the back half might just be a learning experience
BUT alot of the players would be rusty just starting up again

I thought Clay Smith played really well in the second game though, definately kicked the ball alot better

& Jones mark and goal in the Essendon game in the second half, was brilliant

Think Jong needs to learn to clear the ball better from the back half with his kicking
Looks spooked when had the ball in hand,
Jong's a strange one. One of the most courageous players in our team when going for the ball, but when he has it he seems to freak out a bit. Just inexperience I'd assume but it's interesting.

Jong's a strange one. One of the most courageous players in our team when going for the ball, but when he has it he seems to freak out a bit. Just inexperience I'd assume but it's interesting.
Macrae looked a little awkward to, but as you'd said; inexperience.
But at other times, Macrae looked really good with the ball in hand.
Certainly drew alot of free kicks to, 4 I believe

Was disappointed in Cordy's effort though

Macrae looked a little awkward to, but as you'd said; inexperience.
But at other times, Macrae looked really good with the ball in hand.
Certainly drew alot of free kicks to, 4 I believe

Was disappointed in Cordy's effort though
His evasiveness was good and displayed some slick hands, I think he was just a bit taken aback by the game's speed. Will take a few matches, hope he plays next week as I was impressed.

Yeah, Cordy was shocking. I still have faith in him, I just think he's going to take more time than the average supporter is willing to give him.

His evasiveness was good and displayed some slick hands, I think he was just a bit taken aback by the game's speed. Will take a few matches, hope he plays next week as I was impressed.

Yeah, Cordy was shocking. I still have faith in him, I just think he's going to take more time than the average supporter is willing to give him.
don't have him in your dream team, that is for sure; got a 0
Mark Austin got a -3 though
really wanted to see Hrovat play, maybe next game; maybe Stringer/Hunter/Prudden to

Whats with all these haven't improvement since last season stuff?? We are a minute into the season, how the hell can you gauge anything yet?? Wait until players have played full games and even a game before that. Talk about dooms dayers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With him getting such a large share of your midfield ball, his reliability ends up in predictability. The way teams set up for the spread these days, they know exactly what he can & can't do and it's easier to work him out.
Bottom line, he needs a second string to his bow, (which Jobe Watson has, which Bartel, Mitchell & Pendlebury have), to mix it up a bit. So he can go forward, or back, or whatever it is, & still have a positive effect on the team, while others go through there.
Same problem GC sometimes have with Ablett. As great as he is, a 1-out midfield won't do the job.

don't have him in your dream team, that is for sure; got a 0
Mark Austin got a -3 though
really wanted to see Hrovat play, maybe next game; maybe Stringer/Hunter/Prudden to
Yeah, would only consider him if he played as the #1 ruck, which is never going to happen. :p
I really hope we get to see Stringer and Hunter especially next week.

Yeah, would only consider him if he played as the #1 ruck, which is never going to happen. :p
I really hope we get to see Stringer and Hunter especially next week.

might happen, if we do happen to recruit Thomas Boyd
But Jones has impressed me early enough
I don't think he'll be a 4-5+ goal forward, but think he can be good for more 2 to 4
his goal last night was very nice as was his two goals in the opening 10 minutes of the Indigenous All Stars Match

I just want a game plan and structure to be honest.

It really will be a hard choice between one of the better mids (Aish hopefully) and Boyd if we are in the position to choose, which is looking likely :p It would be hard to pass up Boyd but our midfield does need a bit of class, hopefully we already have enough on our list though.

I just want a game plan and structure to be honest.

It really will be a hard choice between one of the better mids (Aish hopefully) and Boyd if we are in the position to choose, which is looking likely :p It would be hard to pass up Boyd but our midfield does need a bit of class, hopefully we already have enough on our list though.
If Port Adelaide fell below us, you'd believe they'd pick him up in a heartbeat
But pleanty of teams would be interested in Thomas Boyd as well
Not sure about GWS, with all the KPP they have; but any other team might

Talls are still the issue along with a midfield that couldn't hit the side of a barn. The main positive is we will get the number one draft pick.

I'm not sure why Cordy is still playing football I have seen nothing that suggest he even wants to compete. I mean does the guy even have any aggression in him at all?

With our best side on the park I can see we will have improved from last year but I still see the bottom of the ladder is our spot until a tall forward can be found.

Well that didn't take long before we started eating our own. Just two mini scratch matches.

Gonna be a long season again. Can't wait for the off-season to arrive!

I don't think anyone is basing the criticism on the two scratch matches alone. It is adding what was on show last night to the previous 22 games and not seeing as much improvement as hoped that causes the concern. It is too early to write off any players or the coach but improvement must come this year.

I recall making a thread on this very topic last year I think after the Richmond game.

Boyd as captain just sums up the club on field at the moment. Drab, uninspiring and dull.

The biggest issue I had last night wasn't with him but for the 873784th time over the past five years, the forward line.

Picken and Addison are not forwards and never will be. Picken playing at FF on Fletcher was a joke. There is absolutely no point believing that these two guys in the forward line is going to improve anything.

Jones at least made a decent lead and a nice goal but aside from that what else was there? More aimless kicks with tall forwards we've invested a lot of time in who had no idea where to run or lead to or how to position themselves.

Paul Roos was right in saying that we are not going to score easy goals this year. Same old story, different year.

If Port Adelaide fell below us, you'd believe they'd pick him up in a heartbeat
But pleanty of teams would be interested in Thomas Boyd as well
Not sure about GWS, with all the KPP they have; but any other team might
The only thing with Boyd is, coming as a high draft pick he would be heralded as the saviour of the club, and there would be so much pressure heaped onto him before he plays a game. Add to that the fact he's a KPF who traditionally don't do so well in the first season, and we might end up with a Jack Watts situation...

The only thing with Boyd is, coming as a high draft pick he would be heralded as the saviour of the club, and there would be so much pressure heaped onto him before he plays a game. Add to that the fact he's a KPF who traditionally don't do so well in the first season, and we might end up with a Jack Watts situation...
That is true.
It shouldn't ever be up to one good player anyway to carry the weight of the team.
But a tall target would still be helpful.

might happen, if we do happen to recruit Thomas Boyd
But Jones has impressed me early enough
I don't think he'll be a 4-5+ goal forward, but think he can be good for more 2 to 4
his goal last night was very nice as was his two goals in the opening 10 minutes of the Indigenous All Stars Match
Nah, Minson and Campbell are both ahead of him as #1 ruckmen. Boyd would be the writing on the wall for Cordy unless he lifts considerably.

What I think we need to do at the end of this year is target a mediocre (or better) and mature key forward from another club in order to raise the level of competition for spots. I think our major problem with the development of players like Cordy, Jones, Grant etc is that there is little competition in that area; they're all playing at around the same level and not developing. If we were to get a strong-bodied, tall KPF like Hille (could also help big Will in the ruck), Petrie or Nicoski (just named from the free agent list), it would increase competition for these spots and force these players to work harder than ever before to earn their spot.

We have uncovered some brilliant midfielders by forcing competition, and now we all have huge trouble choosing our starting midfield. I want us to do the same for KPPs, but the draft just doesn't work that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back