Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I asked the question pages back, what were the things Rutten did that were working or looked like being developed. Got crickets.
The fabric of the club. A year to run. Stupid decision. But he took the long term history of the club to heart and was intent on setting the culture of the club against that background.

Listening to an interview with Nathan Jones from today's radio, and he commented something about doing your due diligence in sacking the coach (and also spoke a bit about his own experience with backing in Goodwin after making a prelim and then missing finals two years in a row).

Did they do their due diligence here? Is it simple enough to reduce it to W/L, or is there more to it when you want to sack a coach?

Listening to an interview with Nathan Jones from today's radio, and he commented something about doing your due diligence in sacking the coach (and also spoke a bit about his own experience with backing in Goodwin after making a prelim and then missing finals two years in a row).

Did they do their due diligence here? Is it simple enough to reduce it to W/L, or is there more to it when you want to sack a coach?
The nuffies look at win/loss, you hope the people inside the club are looking a little deeper than that though.

I asked the question pages back, what were the things Rutten did that were working or looked like being developed. Got crickets.
I mean he pretty clearly adapted his gameplan when it was obvious the original one he devised was not suitable for the list (not sure what sort of gameplan is suitable for a bunch of front runners but that's the next coach's problem now).

Given a lot of the problems are cultural list management was always going to be a big part of any improvement he was making but I don't think he got much of a shot at that. You could see the change in the types of players we recruited though - hard working guys like Durham and Martin.

No idea but I thought the 3 hour meeting with Rutten on Sunday seemed like a long one. Im guessing this was his opportunity to make his case to keep his job and then he was 'judged' on that.

If so it could be argued that sort of discovery session Is due diligence beyond W/L. Unless of course it was some sort of Kangaroo court :)

No idea but I thought the 3 hour meeting with Rutten on Sunday seemed like a long one. Im guessing this was his opportunity to make his case to keep his job and then he was 'judged' on that.

If so it could be argued that sort of discovery session Is due diligence beyond W/L. Unless of course it was some sort of Kangaroo court :)
Wasn't a 3 hour meeting with Rutten. Was a 3 hour meeting of the board, including XC, about Rutten. Rutten got a phone call with the result afterwards, then President and CEO come out and do a press conference where they're talking about timelines and what they want in a new coach (which must have formed part of the discussion). Apparently XC was advocating to keep Truck.

And then beyond that you have the question of the replacement, the timeline on letting him go, etc.

Wasn't a 3 hour meeting with Rutten. Was a 3 hour meeting of the board, including XC, about Rutten. Rutten got a phone call with the result afterwards, then President and CEO come out and do a press conference where they're talking about timelines and what they want in a new coach (which must have formed part of the discussion). Apparently XC was advocating to keep Truck.

And then beyond that you have the question of the replacement, the timeline on letting him go, etc.
Ah OK. My bad.

Either way it's clearly a debacle. Nobody in football thinks it was handled well. For most clubs it would represent considerable reputational damage, for both the president and and the board. For us it's business as usual.

The fabric of the club. A year to run. Stupid decision. But he took the long term history of the club to heart and was intent on setting the culture of the club against that background.
I liked that he tried to do that. As a fan, it means a lot that you identify the club you've always loved as the club you've always loved. And you hope talented players buy into that, and stay loyal and play for the jumper.

Worsfold didn't run this line. I posted the George Costanza carpark gif a couple of times in reference to Worsfold wanting to tear up the place.

People will scoff at that kind of thing, but it does mean something to some people. Rutten obviously thought so too.

Can you sell it to the post ASADA group though, senior leaders who have been burnt? Hurley definitely hated parts of "the club". If "the club" meant team mates, certain coaches, small sections of supporter group then he was all in. But the greater Essendon brand, I think it's fairly clear he hated it. The powers that be, political influences, the former heroes who like to chime in, masses who pay their $30 a week or whatever and think they deserve a voice etc.

Like it or lump it, that's all a part of the club. That's Essendon.

I didn't follow Essendon that closely but they had a great year last year given their situation and they were poor this year although suffering some injuries and not having a great squad. Would have thought you'd need a 3rd or part thereof to make a decision.

I didn't follow Essendon that closely but they had a great year last year given their situation and they were poor this year although suffering some injuries and not having a great squad. Would have thought you'd need a 3rd or part thereof to make a decision.
I still believe the loss of Tippa was a huge blow for Rutten.

It gets down to the message and what he was able to sell the board, if they were open to listening. Early in the year it was that we needed to scale back our game plan. We had a good few weeks, then the same "unacceptable" efforts resurfaced. His public messages were that he didn't know. Had to have a closer look. Wouldn't be tolerated.

The season was bookended by this, if he hadn't figured out an answer in 23 weeks, then I'm comfortable he's not the guy who could take us forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that is a bit ironic in all this is early on they identified that Truck could use some work on his personal relationships with players as he could be a bit old school and blunt. They sent him away to do some courses on leadership and developing relationships. Not that it did him much good as in the end the players wanted tough love and not a nice bloke.

One thing that is a bit ironic in all this is early on they identified that Truck could use some work on his personal relationships with players as he could be a bit old school and blunt. They sent him away to do some courses on leadership and developing relationships. Not that it did him much good as in the end the players wanted tough love and not a nice bloke.
We are about to find out i think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back