Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Remove this Banner Ad

The players have served up s**t for most of 6 seasons now.

Other than it being part of some acting out against the stupidity of how this has played out why do you think anything will change?

I've thought about this and I've thought that it could be that this is what it takes to get the players to understand.

I'm far too cynical about the player to believe they will build anything sustainable with Rutten, even from here.

Aside from that, * them, they don't get to do that.. The players need to be treated like the children they are.
My only issue is that the mess of our board/management overshadows the mess that is the players on field performance. I wanted the blame layed at squarely at the players feet when Truck was inevitably sacked, with no possible outs or excuses. Poor coaching and/or pissweak lazy footballers would've been the only explanation. Now our incompetent board has given another explanation that sections of the media and fanbase will go with. But i think most will get over this pretty quickly. And i think most would agree with you, the players are children and they need some home truths delivered. Been babied since the saga.

Last edited:
Sure, Rutten can articulate all that is wrong with the club. Trust the process, stay the course, don't sack me I like my job. He just struggled to articulate what the hell went wrong after each unacceptable performance that wasn't what we wanted to stand for.
Time will tell but I suspect he inherited a list that was largely not suited to the modern game - both physically and mentally.

Maybe we get a new coach and it all magically clicks into place but I doubt it.

How can he have had 4 years, if the last guy was sacked 2 years ago?

Surely you wait for the external review and understand the full reason for the underperformance. What if it turns out that the problem wasn't the coach? (too late now I guess) Our board (and many supporters) are one trick ponies. Wait 2-3 years, if no finals win, sack the coach, rinse and repeat.

He has been a senior assistant for 1 year. He was a co- coach or some variation for another. He has now coached 2 years in his own right.

At no point, has our defence improved.

If he was at Richmond as an assistant for 1 year and was the genius behind their defence it must follow that he could have influenced our defence as an assistant.

As a senior coach he then made the fatal error with this group of not focusing on defence. Or maybe he did.

How many presidents? How many board members?

Barham has been on the board for 7 years. Brasher for 11. Madden 9 years. Muir 7 years. Wellman 5 years. Sheedy is new to the board but has had his hands in all things Essendon since time immemorial. Xavier has been CEO for going on 9 years and at the club for 13 years. And of course Dodo has been around for at least 20 years now.

That old boys club has achieved absolutely nothing in their time, bar Sheedy 22 years ago. In that time we have given no coach anywhere near even the shortest tenure of the boys on that list. Every couple of years it’s the coaches fault for poor performance, sack the coach.

Even if you happen to agree that every coach we’ve had for the past 15 years has been a poor coach, or all the players we’ve recruited over that time have been lazy or poor or don’t listen or whatever the knock on the list is, who selected those coaches and recruited those players? The boys club above. So either the stalwarts of the board and the club are incompetent to the point that they’re undermining efforts by decent coaches and players to drive success, or they’re incompetent to the point that they have continually selected poor coaches and recruited poor players. Either way the fault lies at their feet.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Barham has been on the board for 7 years. Brasher for 11. Madden 9 years. Muir 7 years. Wellman 5 years. Sheedy is new to the board but has had his hands in all things Essendon since time immemorial. Xavier has been CEO for going on 9 years and at the club for 13 years. And of course Dodo has been around for at least 20 years now.

That old boys club has achieved absolutely nothing in their time, bar Sheedy 22 years ago. In that time we have given no coach anywhere near even the shortest tenure of the boys on that list. Every couple of years it’s the coaches fault for poor performance, sack the coach.

Even if you happen to agree that every coach we’ve had for the past 15 years has been a poor coach, or all the players we’ve recruited over that time have been lazy or poor or don’t listen or whatever the knock on the list is, who selected those coaches and recruited those players? The boys club above. So either the stalwarts of the board and the club are incompetent to the point that they’re undermining efforts by decent coaches and players to drive success, or they’re incompetent to the point that they have continually selected poor coaches and recruited poor players. Either way the fault lies at their feet.

oh come on mate - lay off Sheedy - he's just learning how to be on a board, it takes time to learn how to be on a board.

Well said. I say this as a football fan and not a tigers fan - the fanbase needs to become more vocal against the boys clubs that run AFL administrations at the club level and the AFL level.

Sad to see Rutten go, but for your mob's sake, I hope this serves as a catalyst for a much needed change in governance. It's been too long since you've seen success - a healthy competition needs healthy clubs.

Worsfold was coach for 5 years. You think they sacked Hird too soon? Or maybe we should have bomber still and the side would be smoking?

see the problem with this line of thought is this is it - they have their scapegoat, no other people will be found responsible and they all keep their positions, and can blame it on da coach
Scapegoat, turn it up he is not a victim. That s**t that Ess served up this year was was rubbish, he is accountable.

Scapegoat, turn it up he is not a victim. That s**t that Ess served up this year was was rubbish, he is accountable.
I think you've probably understood maybe a fifth of my post.

this is what happens when you act with emotion without the benefit of intellect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was criticised by a lot for being critical of Truck, and bringing up the prospect of him not going into his 4th year at the club (yep, 4th). Was never a fan of the whole succession debacle and was criticised for my foresight then. A coach on training wheels trying to teach a team on training wheels.

But in the end, it came to be as such.

Club had the balls to call it and I couldn't be more proud. Here's to no more acceptance of treading water based on faith. :thumbsu:

If a coach wants to take it on, they better be in the frame of mind that they must show signs visible to the eye (win or loss)!

Good luck to Ben as a person, I hope he does well in life, but he was not what we needed.

One of my very first comments in this thread was that i hoped Ben had the stones and capacity to be able to achieve success, both onfield and dealing with the shadowie figures that pull the strings in this muttered up club...

Alas it wasn't to be and I'm genuinely sad for the guy...

A) Rutten didn't coach in 2020.

Was a ploy to extend the honeymoon period. All reports was he was in charge of the game-plan and behind the scenes - Woosh was in charge of media and game day. It doesn't make sense to let a man you considered not good enough to continue coaching while you have a successor. Let it go. He was here for 3. Unfortunately for him, the honeymoon ran out.

B) It was a 17 game season...

Wins are wins. But so are losses. Who's to say the loss tally wouldn't have gone up as a result of more games? Could have been even worse (think the laughing at HT against Geelong while being smashed).

C) It was a 16 team comp under Knights

23 Rounds are 23 rounds, wins are wins.

Stop trying to make excuses and divert. This was the whole problem with this entire Rutten saga - it was all stalling, diverting, making excuses. Was sick of it and I'm glad it's over.

Truck's gone, let it go.

I was criticised by a lot for being critical of Truck, and bringing up the prospect of him not going into his 4th year at the club (yep, 4th). Was never a fan of the whole succession debacle and was criticised for my foresight then. A coach on training wheels trying to teach a team on training wheels.

But in the end, it came to be as such.

Club had the balls to call it and I couldn't be more proud. Here's to no more acceptance of treading water based on faith. :thumbsu:

If a coach wants to take it on, they better be in the frame of mind that they must show signs visible to the eye (win or loss)!

Good luck to Ben as a person, I hope he does well in life, but he was not what we needed.
This.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back