Opinion Former federal treasurer Josh Frydenberg tipped to become next AFL CEO. (Edit: He was never approached)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Is this a joke?
Right wing transphobe and climate skeptic Josh Frydenberg is apparantly frontrunner to become AFL CEO.
It just goes to show the AFL are more concerned with generating profits for corporates rather than making the AFL the game of the people.
As a politician he gave millions of $ in handouts to Harvey Norman and other corporate companies.
He opposes a designated Indigenous voice to parliament and the Ularu statement.
He refused to call out transphobe Catherine Deves. He lost a seat held for 80 years. He has supported Scomo's Islamophobia in the past.
He continually misled and lied to the media.
How can this partisan trump supporter possibly be appointed as CEO of the people's game?
There is no way minority groups such as the LGBT and Indigenous communities will support this.
I for one will stop following AFL if this clown is appointed.

Last edited:

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is this a joke?
Right wing transphobe and climate skeptic Josh Frydenberg is apparantly frontrunner to become AFL CEO.
It just goes to show the AFL are more concerned with generating profits for corporates rather than making the AFL the game of the people.
As a politician he gave millions of $ in handouts to Harvey Norman and other corporate companies.
He opposes a designated Indgenous voice to parliament and the Ularu statement.
He refused to call out transphobe Catherine Deves. He lost a seat held for 80 years. He has aupported Scomo's Islamophobia in the past.
How can this partisan trump supporter possibly be appointed as CEO of the people's game?
There is no way minority groups such as the LGBT and Indigenous communities will support this.
I for one will stop folliwing AFL if this clown is appointed.

OK, almost all of your points are his political views and have absolutely nothing to do regarding his ability to run a corporation of this leagues size.

I would have thought he's close to the most qualified person in the leagues history to be in the running for the top job.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
OK, almost all of your points are his political views and have absolutely nothing to do regarding his ability to run a corporation of this leagues size.

I would have thought he's close to the most qualified person in the leagues history to be in the running for the top job.
You can't have our game ,which has about 20% Indigenous players, run by a person with his checkered past of dismissing Indigenous issues.
Also the AFLW will not support his appointment .

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You can't have our game ,which has about 20% Indigenous players, run by a person with his checkered past of dismissing Indigenous issues.
Also the AFLW will not support his appointment .

The AFLW will not support his appointment :tearsofjoy:

I didn't realise they had a chair on the AFL commission......

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is this a joke?
He refused to call out transphobe Catherine Deves. He lost a seat held for 80 years. He has supported Scomo's Islamophobia in the past.

How much of that affects the running of a football league?

BTW: Did indigenous communities send the government money back because they didnt like him as Treasurer?

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They don't need one to have an opinion.
The guy is a hateful jerk who has no place running a league embraced by the whole community.

OK, lets get Eddie Betts to run a billion dollar corporation then? Right?

If he's the most qualified person to run the business, I couldn't care if he was left wing/right wing or a communist tbh.

You are complaining about prejudice and descrimination, yet you are discriminating someone who may be the best and most qualified person for the job, purely because of their political views.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
OK, lets get Eddie Betts to run a billion dollar corporation then? Right?

If he's the most qualified person to run the business, I couldn't care if he was left wing/right wing or a communist tbh.

You are complaining about prejudice and descrimination, yet you are discriminating someone who may be the best and most qualified person for the job, purely because of their political views.
Stop talking crap mate. He's not qualified at all for starters.
He's a failed treasurer with zero experience in sports management.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Stop talking crap mate. He's not qualified at all for starters.
He's a failed treasurer with zero experience in sports management.

Sports Management? :tearsofjoy:

Gil studied Law/Commerce and did a Senior Exec program at Stanford mate. He did a 10 year apprenticeship at the AFL, prior to that he was at Accenture.

Dimitreou worked in the dental industry before becoming CEO of the AFL players association before becoming AFL CEO.

You are a moron if you think the applicant HAS to come from within the Sports Industry. Given the AFL is the biggest sporting code in the country, you are going to have to go overseas to get someone of a comparable level of commercial experience within the sports industry.

Last edited:
Is this a joke?

I don't care what his personal views are on these issues.

All I care about is that if he has the capacity to fix some of the stuff that's plaguing the league.

He's there to run a sporting code, not to pander to your sensibilities.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sorry?

Former Commercial Laywer, with degree's from Melbourne University, Oxford and Harvard and the former Federal Treasurer of the Commonwealth?

Who else comes close to that as previous applicants?

Or are the Christine Holgate supporters just out in force?

Going off his track record as Treasurer his approach to the AFL will be:

• load the competition up with debt to be paid off by someone else at a future date
  • turn a blind eye to misogyny and rape at HQ
  • shower his Carlton mates with cash when times get slightly tough and don’t ask them to pay it back
  • insult China so Port don’t get to host a game there again

Couldn’t think of anyone else worse to run the AFL

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne

Have you seen the way he ran the county's financiers? Treated our money like his own personal slush fund.

Lined the pockets of his donors using our money, while striping services and siphoning money into dodgy deals with the Nationals and mining companies. An absolute crook that hopefully spends a lot of time behind bars when ICAC is set up.

Absolutely not the most qualified, could not think of many that would be less suited than him.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Sorry?

Former Commercial Laywer, with degree's from Melbourne University, Oxford and Harvard and the former Federal Treasurer of the Commonwealth?

Who else comes close to that as previous applicants?

Or are the Christine Holgate supporters just out in force?
He was utterly incompetent as treasurer.
And as a Minister for Environment, and Energy previously.
So you're going to use his degrees and career as a lawyer pre-2010 to claim he would be 'close to the most qualified person in the leagues history to be in the running for the top job'? Right.

Back