Opinion Former federal treasurer Josh Frydenberg tipped to become next AFL CEO. (Edit: He was never approached)

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Endorsed by

2647790_andrew-demetriou_1.jpeg
looks like he's practising to party with bailey, buddy & carlisle

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
nor should they. politicians make the policies they do because of their personal beliefs (such as voting for/against something because of their religion), so why should the public then not consider their personal opinions? If i know a pollie is a fundamentalist christian, then im not going to vote for them because they oppose things such as trans rights. even though i nominally support their party, i didnt vote for my local state member because of their views on euthenasia.

besides, why should people look at the way he acted in politics and think he would be any different in the way he runs a company? in politics he was a corrupt slash and burn type economic manager, why would he be different running the afl? if people took more notice of how andy d ran the afl (the bummers drug saga specifically) then they may have been less likely to employ him before he ripped off indian students and enacted money laundering at crown.
Agreed.

A politician either truly believes the positions they take on behalf of their party - or they're too weak and lacking in conviction to oppose it.

If the position they have taken is a bad one, then either scenario is not a good reflection of them as people.

As for politicians running companies, unless they've had previous experience running companies in the private sector, they often have very, very little to offer in terms of the skills required. More often than not it's their connections that makes them of any value.

I've worked with a few of these types, and almost all have been utterly underwhelming and completely incapable. Government positions are very, very different to actually getting s**t done in the real world.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Right on cue, here come the haters. Any appoitnment of a new AFL CEO will have some sort of political overtones. Those of the LEFT cancelled Frydenberg back in May, so i doubt he will get much of a chance given to him. Cancel culture, this punishment for having a different point of view, it’s everywhere, if you don't agree with the far LEFT, you must never work again. As Ricky Gervais once said "It's like road rage".
I have no idea if Josh Frydenberg would make a good CEO of the AFL, but with all the complaints i've read on here these past few years, i wonder how many are all that satisfied with Gil's handling of the top job? Why has Brendon Gale been shifted to one side?
I would've thought he was a shoe in and i don't care what side of the political fence he sits on. Maybe this news is a furphy to camouflage some other appointment? One thing's for sure Frydenberg won't ever get a fair deal if appointed, so i doubt he would accept it. Hatred from the LEFT is growing, but it's not new, it's just more vocal and the windows are wound right down with the yelling, screaming and vitriol loud and clear.
All i care about is the game itself no matter who is in charge: Rules, Tasmania, Ticketing, TV Rights, The Sydney market, Football in the heartland of surburban Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth, Illicit Drugs, keeping the lights on at Marvel Stadium? Whoever gets the top job will be one busy CEO.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Right on cue, here come the haters. Any appoitnment of a new AFL CEO will have some sort of political overtones. Those of the LEFT cancelled Frydenberg back in May, so i doubt he will get much of a chance given to him. Cancel culture, this punishment for having a different point of view, it’s everywhere, if you don't agree with the far LEFT, you must never work again. As Ricky Gervais once said "It's like road rage".
I have no idea if Josh Frydenberg would make a good CEO of the AFL, but with all the complaints i've read on here these past few years, i wonder how many are all that satisfied with Gil's handling of the top job? Why has Brendon Gale been shifted to one side?
I would've thought he was a shoe in and i don't care what side of the political fence he sits on. Maybe this news is a furphy to camouflage some other appointment? One thing's for sure Frydenberg won't ever get a fair deal if appointed, so i doubt he would accept it. Hatred from the LEFT is growing, but it's not new, it's just more vocal and the windows are wound right down with the yelling, screaming and vitriol loud and clear.
All i care about is the game itself no matter who is in charge: Rules, Tasmania, Ticketing, TV Rights, The Sydney market, Football in the heartland of surburban Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth, Illicit Drugs, keeping the lights on at Marvel Stadium? Whoever gets the top job will be one busy CEO.

Personally, I couldn't give a s**t who is the CEO of the AFL, let alone who they vote for.

My concern with a guy like Frydenburg is simply his ability.

He's a failed politician. He failed because he demonstrated really poor judgement and made really bad decisions.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Think this is just another case of the AFL floating an idea in the media to see if they can get away with it. Unsurprisingly Josh's brand is extremely poor in the heartland AFL states.

As a result Gil wasn't able to pay back the favour for that au pair's visa when it was called in.

TheBigHorne

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2022
Don't ask me about my username
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles, 76ers, Phillies

This is why I don't want Frydenberg to be CEO, not because he isn't a lefty but because he is a corrupt dickhead.

Last edited:

Siberian Taiga

победа
Apr 19, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Frydenberg would be perfect for the job.

So would Julia Gillard be, for that matter. Australian politics has long been based on smoke and mirrors, corrupted rules and officiating and delusional fan involvement from those who barrack for their side like there's no tomorrow.

Just like the AFL.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
I believe China and Russia might have a political system you'd be interested in, seeing as you're opposed to the public being able to select their representatives based on their values

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is the lowest IQ post in this thread. Anyone wondering how the hell people like John Howard and Scott Morrison get elected and become PM - it's this.

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Think this is just another case of the AFL floating an idea in the media to see if they can get away with it. Unsurprisingly Josh's brand is extremely poor in the heartland AFL states.

As a result Gil wasn't able to pay back the favour for that au pair's visa when it was called in.
Nailed it. 100% this is what's been done.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon

This defensive obsession with the LEFT is why the Liberals lost seats like Frydenberg's Kooyong. If the story is true then it was the AFL that sounded Frydenberg out about whether he was interested or not and he turned it down and that has nothing to do with the LEFT, and many senior people within the AFL are Liberal Party people.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Frydenberg-funded guide dog charity caught swindling taxpayers.

A Melbourne “charity” whose CEO almost certainly broke federal laws by officially spruiking a sitting member of parliament is charging taxpayers four times what it was a decade ago to deliver just three-quarters of the services.
An in-depth investigation reveals Guide Dogs Victoria paid its disgraced CEO Karen Hayes increasingly eye-watering salaries over the past ten years, during which time its annual wages bill surged 40%, from $6.37 million to $9.44 million.

Last financial year it delivered just 35 guide dogs.

The taxpayer funds received by Guide Dogs Victoria for its ongoing operations exploded from $1 million a year a decade ago to $3.9 million last year.

Frydenberg-funded guide dog charity caught swindling taxpayers

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Under the cabinet system of government, decisions on refugee matters are ultimately made by the Immigration minister and while Frydenberg would have been involved in any cabinet discussions however once cabinet made a decision it was up to the Immigration minister to implement the policy, just as we saw with Novak Djokovic.
Are you serious? What a pitiful argument.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Funny the rumour has been ascribed to absolutely nobody, not even the usual “sources at…”

Frydenberg is an absolute media WHORE, he spent all his time in government on the phone to journalists spinning this and pitching that.

I 100% expect he started this “rumour” himself as a good way to boost his job prospects.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
Man, there are some angry people in this thread... makes my popcorn so much tastier.

But politics aside - and I'll go on record as despising both major parties - he would have been a terrible choice. Putting an ex politician may very well have put more money into the hands of AFL house through his contacts, but it would take the game itself even further away from the average punter (if that's even possible anymore)

Funny the rumour has been ascribed to absolutely nobody, not even the usual “sources at…”
I think it started when Sam Edmond asked him on SEN whether he had been approached, and he dead-batted the question away. Did he set himself up for that, who knows? Also the recruitment is being conducted by an executive search agency, maybe not out of the realms of possibility that they made an enquiry, but that was them, not the AFL

Back