Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Weller was a brilliant servant of the Fremantle Football Club. The way he exited was pure brilliance.

Going on radio telling the world that he had been guaranteed the trade would be done. It allowed Brad Lloyd to go and get that metal coating for his balls that he so badly needed.

Weller for me will always be compared to Brayshaw and I will be tracking his progress with macarbe interest.

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
This board was hardly heartbroken when he left.

I'd say the club was as happy if not happier than Mayney with the situation.

Bit unfair on the bloke I think.

whatever.... gone now... someone else's problem

we are flat out trying to convince ourselves that our OWN spuds are ok.

no resources left to work on other clubs' spuds

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
You guys need to consult the Heppell to Freo thread I think.

there is nothing in there to suggest he is innocent.

filthy cheating scum shouldn't be allowed in to watch a game, let alone play in one

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
I think Croz was given a gentle push out the door - he certainly didn't walk willingly. He loved this club and the lifestyle in Freo/Perth. I think he was told 'here's a contract, but there'll be lots of competition for your spot, so we wouldn't be upset if you went off looking elsewhere'. He did, and the Dogs jumped all over him. I reckon he'll go really well there and I hope he does. Anyone who's pushed out the door or delisted prematurely, I wish them well.

Micky B :heavycheck:
Silvagni :heavycheck:
de Boer :heavycheck: (player not club!)
Croz :heavycheck:

Weller, Balic can GAGF.

Mayne... wasn't a big fan, can't blame him for taking the big money offer, but maybe it's biting him on the arse a little now. So - meh. Whatevs. Bothers me nowt if he plays 1s or 2s, if he gets a kick or not, but don't like seeing him get shat on by his coach and team mates. That's just wrong.

TweeBeard

Team Captain
Aug 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Main one is obviously Barlow. I understand why he was moved on but damn I wish he was still here. Blokes an absolute legend.

Crozier left in the most amicable way I can imagine so hope he goes alright too even tho he never really reached the potential we all thought he had.

Silvagni, de Boer and Balic are the others. I know people on here don't like the last one but I just hope he can get past the mental health problems he was experiencing here and lead the kind of enjoyable life a young bloke getting good money to play a sport should. If he ends up a gun then I'll be pretty shitty tho.

And of course Mayne screwing over Collingwood is great too

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

greatgatsby

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2010
The Seat of Power
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Commanders, Black Ducks
Main one is obviously Barlow. I understand why he was moved on but damn I wish he was still here. Blokes an absolute legend.

Crozier left in the most amicable way I can imagine so hope he goes alright too even tho he never really reached the potential we all thought he had.

Silvagni, de Boer and Balic are the others. I know people on here don't like the last one but I just hope he can get past the mental health problems he was experiencing here and lead the kind of enjoyable life a young bloke getting good money to play a sport should. If he ends up a gun then I'll be pretty shitty tho.

And of course Mayne screwing over Collingwood is great too

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let's be clear about this. These aren't mental health problems; he was not able to successfully fill his contractual obligations away from his family/friends. He was well paid by Freo and well supported (rehabbed from a much more serious injury than was apparent to the club when he was drafted). In return Freo got virtually nothing in terms of games played or through trading. What particularly annoys me is that the club was clearly prepared to facilitate his return to Melbourne from early last season. Despite this, the guy couldn't bring himself to give us some football - either with Peel or Freo - despite being physically fit. I can't think of any other profession where you get to do that.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Let's be clear about this. These aren't mental health problems; he was not able to successfully fill his contractual obligations away from his family/friends. He was well paid by Freo and well supported (rehabbed from a much more serious injury than was apparent to the club when he was drafted). In return Freo got virtually nothing in terms of games played or through trading. What particularly annoys me is that the club was clearly prepared to facilitate his return to Melbourne from early last season. Despite this, the guy couldn't bring himself to give us some football - either with Peel or Freo - despite being physically fit. I can't think of any other profession where you get to do that.

Pretty sure it was mental health issues.

In regards to your question about other professions, there are any number of people off work due to stress leave. Very common these days.

greatgatsby

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2010
The Seat of Power
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Washington Commanders, Black Ducks
Pretty sure it was mental health issues.

In regards to your question about other professions, there are any number of people off work due to stress leave. Very common these days.

This is precisely my point. I'm questioning the definition of 'mental health' in this case. As for the bolded, unfortunately I think you're right.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
sorry, as a crows supporter, for butting in but... while youre all discussing former players...

When you get to the over 40’s you stop listening to triple j and start listening to ABC radio.. well that’s what I’ve found... anyway every weekday on abc radio they have a program at 11am called “conversations with Richard Fidler” where Richard basically interviews people about their lives and it’s really interesting hearing some of the amazing stories of famous and non famous people..

Anyway.. Today’s episode had Richard Fidler chatting to Peter Bell of both North Melbourne and Freo fame.. and it was a really great insight into the life of Peter Bell and had a good section of it that discussed Pagan drafting him to North Melbourne.. and his eventual return to captain freo..

Anyway, if your a footy tragic like me and you enjoy a really good yarn you can listen to it here as a podcast...

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/conversations-peter-bell/9463078

goes for nearly an hour and I guarantee you’ll enjoy hearing the story of Peter Bell..

it’s a pretty bloody amazing story about a young Korean baby that was adopted by an Aussie couple and become an AFL great... a two time premiership player, a club captain and a hall of famer.. he nearly didn’t make it and the way his birth mother found him years after giving him up for adoption is amazing.

Trust me... Give it a listen.

Back