Farrand

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2003
England
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Side Hawkwing
There maybe a bit of nostalgia in my opinion but I was always of the opinion that Barlow, Mzungu and DeBoer were still required as depth players. And with Barlow I felt he was being played out of position and not to his strengths. He was never the fastest guy in the world and certainly ran like a duck but he had a great football brain. A comparison is Mundy, who also never set the world on fire with his speed but gee, he seems to have all the time in the world.

Agree with Okinakashi that Silva was a victim of his occasional poor discipline and injuries but then I remember there were large amounts of time when he was available and he just wasn't picked even though he was solid in the WAFL.

Clancee I could take or leave. Great role player but he epitomized the bombing gameplan that worked when we had Pav and Mayne up forward.

Never been a fan of major list overhauls. Too much experience is lost in such a short amount of time and it leaves the team vulnerable.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
So many teams now have docker players playing for them.

They are lucky. Those players bring more than ability. They bring culture and discipline.

They are never to be forgotten Freo players.

Bring back Barlow.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
At the time DeBoer, Mzungu and (to a lesser extent) Barlow were all seen as foot soldiers symbolic of Lyon's effort-over-class ethos we needed to make a clean break from if we wanted to rebuild a successful side.

Put Clancee, D.Pearce and Suban in that group as well.

I'd certainly rather we'd hung onto Barlow and Piggy rather than Suban and Danyle.

Farrand

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2003
England
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Side Hawkwing
Suban was alright by me. Not a world beater by any means but not a player who is any different to Colyer and Conca. Played a role, not particularly skilled but gave his best. Great leader as well and provided a bit of hardness which we lack these days.

Fyfster

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont
I feel like there's a bit of revisionism going on with the benefit of hindsight here.

At the time DeBoer, Mzungu and (to a lesser extent) Barlow were all seen as foot soldiers symbolic of Lyon's effort-over-class ethos we needed to make a clean break from if we wanted to rebuild a successful side.
With all due respect to Brayshaw i feel he is looking more foot soldier than superstar at the moment.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Suban was alright by me. Not a world beater by any means but not a player who is any different to Colyer and Conca. Played a role, not particularly skilled but gave his best. Great leader as well and provided a bit of hardness which we lack these days.

Could always be relied upon to contribute at least two HTB per game. ;) I remember one game saying, 'I wonder how long it will be before Suban gets caught HTB.' Sure enough, it was in the very first foray forward, about 30seconds into the game. I remember both laughing and wanting to chuck something at the TV at the same time.

Loved him at South, though. Bloody good WAFL player.

Farrand

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2003
England
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Side Hawkwing
Could always be relied upon to contribute at least two HTB per game. ;) I remember one game saying, 'I wonder how long it will be before Suban gets caught HTB.' Sure enough, it was in the very first foray forward, about 30seconds into the game. I remember both laughing and wanting to chuck something at the TV at the same time.

Loved him at South, though. Bloody good WAFL player.

Well that too. If someone had just told him it wasn't rugby I'm sure the HTB would have stopped at some point. Gotta have respect for a guy who thing he can bull his way through opponents though even though 9 times out of 10 he couldn't ;)

Anyway, I compare Subes to Conca and Colyer in a positive way not. Think with a bit of confidence and time with the team to gel they will end up being good on field leaders. More so Conca than Colyer.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Call me harsh but he coughs it up a lot, And that is after Loydd telling us us that he focused on players with great kicking skills when he went to that draft.
That's harsh!

Has managed his first full preseason, not long 19 and always gives 100%. Manages to lift and make an impact although he looks cooked at times.

Who said we drafted Crowden because he's a good kick? Watched a practice game and first couple of WAFL he seems to spray it all over the park. Maybe it's a result of effort over everything else plan?

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Call me harsh but he coughs it up a lot, And that is after Loydd telling us us that he focused on players with great kicking skills when he went to that draft.
Him and his brother are both pretty bad kicks, but his brother is shocking. Cringeworthy. It's weird, because you imagine as brothers they'd have just kicked the footy to each other all the time in the backyard. I'm sure that's where the McGoverns developed their clean skills.

Giro, this Schulz... not dependable kicks. You worry when they get it. Not sure why you draft guys who can't kick. It kills you.

Fyfster

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont
That's harsh!

Has managed his first full preseason, not long 19 and always gives 100%. Manages to lift and make an impact although he looks cooked at times.

Who said we drafted Crowden because he's a good kick? Watched a practice game and first couple of WAFL he seems to spray it all over the park. Maybe it's a result of effort over everything else plan?
I never said he doesn't give 100% that is without question , Just told by Lloyd we had recruited people with good ball use . And that has not proven to be the case .

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
Hoping (nay, expecting) Brayshaw to clean up his disposal as he matures - similar to Jobe Watson and Trent Cotchin. But sheesh, for a pick 2 it is somewhat concerning the way he burns the ball at times.

mr robot

Debutant
Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Kid turned 19 in Nov. I'm guessing there might be a bit of development in him still.

Yep good point. He's only a couple of months older than some 2019 debutantes like Connor Rozee but he's played a year of AFL as a predominantly inside mid. Bloody good effort, He'll be a very good player in time I reckon.

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
With all due respect to Brayshaw i feel he is looking more foot soldier than superstar at the moment.

He has got a bad case of the second year blues I think. Some players seem to go ok first year then go backwards for a while as they have more demand put on them position wise and game time wise.

I recall seeing his brother at Melbourne (Hamish?) in 2017 after he came back from concussion and I thought he was a crab.......next thing he goes close to winning the Brownlow. That tells me two things (1) Good players can have bad times and rebound from them (2) Don't rely my judgement.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hoping (nay, expecting) Brayshaw to clean up his disposal as he matures - similar to Jobe Watson and Trent Cotchin. But sheesh, for a pick 2 it is somewhat concerning the way he burns the ball at times.

If you can't get it you can't burn it and the kid can certainly get it. His disposal will improve with experience.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
I feel like there's a bit of revisionism going on with the benefit of hindsight here.

Not just "a bit" of revisionism, their continued selections was a major, if not THE major grievance on this board over 3-4 years. We're talking about several key members of the notorious "dumb ass brigade". I think we're seeing a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Do we hold the record at the moment for delisted players currently in the best 22 at other clubs? I have said this before , But at the risk of repeating myself i never understood the axing of De Boer he was not too old around 26 was a model citizen and excellent club man would have been a perfect role model for a young group and his footy was still solid he was never going to be a superstar but a very good role player as he is proving to be at GWS
I'm of the opinion that due to our rigid structured style - we haven't neccesarily been getting the best out of our playing list for a while now, the number of players that have moved on that are looking good at other clubs potentially indicates it too.

Mayne, de Boer, Crozier, Menegola, Collins, Neale, Weller. I'm a little intrigued to see how GWS use Sheridan.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers

"Gave his best" might cut it in a primary school athletics carnival, but not so much in the context of being a premiership contender where every small advantage you can gain over the opposition matters. Suban was passable at best and a significant liability at worst.

Back