Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Call me crazy, but I reckon we will miss Langdon as much as Hill.
Hill kicks a lot of short kicks that look good as he rarely bites off more than he can chew when it comes to kicking (I know Langdon is prone to even butchering the easy kicks), but often what he did was come for a quick handpass, and then run into trouble or not add anything the bloke with the ball wouldn't have.
Langdon, on the other hand put in a lot of work helping out in defense and if he didn't need to pinpoint a pass (kick it long up the line, he was very good.
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on the lesser Hill, and I admit he was a good servant of ours while he was with us, but I feel the loss of Langdon has been undervalued.
Maybe it is my belief we got overs for Hill & unders for Langdon.
Who knows?
Anyway, onward & upward. Here's hoping the greatest Hill stays injury free & we get the chance to see his loping run & delightful delivery for many games this year.
I understand that, but in the here and now, I’m quite liking the range of wing types we may have available. A glance into the crystal ball includes the talents of Sturt and Frederick too.

Chris Mayne has signed a one year contract extension at Collingwood.

Absolutely rapt for him considering how much s**t he copped in 2017. Still bloody love the great man 💜
Great news, so happy for him. His career recovery since 2017 when there was suggestions Collingwood would give up one of their own picks to send him back to us has been frankly ridiculous.

Would never imagined the turn in fortunes and positional change.. Well done to Mayne. Sheer hard work, his selection ‘luck’ with Collingwood’s injuries enabled him to show his fitness and game nous.

That compensation pick for him nabbed us Brad Hill then traded him on for Acres and pick 10 with future second rounder. Not bad at all

Well done Mayne! Looked all over a 2/3 years ago when it looked like Collingwood was forcing him out of the club.

I would suggest they would be spreading some of this years contract into next while giving him another year.

With the amount of our players and ex players currently doing good things in the AFL it shows how decent a job our recruiters do.
Almost every coach of one of our ex-players has praised the work ethic and professionalism of our players. This reflects on the coaching staff and leadership of the senior players in the club.

Does anyone have a full list of all the ex-Freo players with other clubs (including rookies) for 2020. I would be interesting to see who left of their own accord, and who was pushed. Off the top of my head, and I'm sure there's more (in order of moving on):

2012:
Roberton: St Kilda (jumped - DFA) [if he gets back out on the park, which they're saying he will]

2014:
Menegola - Geelong (pushed - delisted. Redrafted 2015 ND)

2016:
Mayne - Collingwood (jumped - FA)

2017:
de Boer - GWS (pushed - delisted)
Weller - GC (jumped - traded)
Crozier - Bulldogs (pushed - traded)
Collins - GC (pushed - delisted. Redrafted beg 2019)

2018:
Neale - Brisbane (jumped - traded)
Sheridan - GWS (pushed - delisted)
Sutcliffe - Port (pushed - delisted. Redrafted mid-season 2019)

2019:
Langdon - Melbourne (jumped - traded)
Hill - St Kilda (dragged - traded)
Bennell - Melbourne (pushed - delisted)

[Grey: training with WC, unsigned. Pushed - delisted 2018]

Last edited:
Does anyone have a full list of all the ex-Freo players with other clubs (including rookies) for 2020. I would be interesting to see who left of their own accord, and who was pushed. Off the top of my head, and I'm sure there's more (in order of moving on):

2012:
Roberton: St Kilda (jumped - DFA) [if he gets back out on the park, which they're saying he will]

2016: Mayne - Collingwood (jumped - FA)

2017:
de Boer - GWS (pushed - delisted)
Weller - GC (jumped - traded)
Crozier - Bulldogs (pushed - traded)
Collins - GC (pushed - delisted. Redrafted beg 2019)

2018:
Neale - Brisbane (jumped - traded)
Sheridan - GWS (pushed - delisted)
Sutcliffe - Port (pushed - delisted. Redrafted mid-season 2019)

2019:
Langdon - Melbourne (jumped - traded)
Hill - St Kilda (dragged - traded)

[Bennell: kinda/sorta training with Melb, unsigned. Pushed - delisted 2019]
[Grey: training with WC, unsigned. Pushed - delisted 2018]
Menegola

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bodes well for this year if many of our players flourish in a different (dare I say less oppressive) system
I wouldn't say many of those "flourished" under a different system.

Mayne, maybe... although with him I'd say it was more hard work and sheer bloody-mindedness got him up, rather than a different coaching style. If anything, the new coach worked against him, not for him... and that's pretty much on record.

De Boer and Crozier, perhaps. Crozier for sure, I'd agree on that one.
Neale hasn't done much differently than he did with Freo, he was a good player with us, and a good player with them.
None of the others listed have exactly had breakout seasons or anything either.

Don't just see what you want to see.

A number of the guys who left us suffered whilst here due to the negative roles they played for us being close to useless in a side already looking for ways to score more goals. They were awesome in 2012-2014 but really struggled as the team started to - there’s no hiding that.

All credit to De Boer and Mayne especially finding ways to play roles in their respective sides but I very much doubt either would make Freo a better side unless a bunch of kids on our list become stars overnight - possible but extremely unlikely.

If Hill was dragged, so was Crozier. They offered him a better contract than we did, so he took it.
Was talking about Hill’s partner dragging him back to Melb. No one could possibly know outside of his inner sanctum, whether St Kilda would have put an offer like that to someone happy to be playing in their home state with his bro and his BFF, and with 2 years still left on his contract, and if they did - would be have gone, or renegotiated with Freo?

Crozier was pushed in the sense that he was offered a lesser contract (time and money) and not guaranteed game time In B22. My info at the time was he desperately wanted to stay at Freo, but was pretty much pushed out the door with Freo’s ‘take it or leave it’ offer, while the Dogs were saying ‘longer contract, more money, guaranteed better opportunities B22. Come on over’. Technically he could have stayed, and could be classified as a jumper, but imo those circumstances make him more of a pushee than a jumper.

I'd obviously take Neale and Hill back and never wanted Deboer or Croz to leave (don't think they are required now) but I don't lose any sleep over any of them.
Yep, apart from Neale and Hill, no sleep lost at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back