scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
Didn't watch it electric but have no doubt it's the humble pie they're making him eat that's the problem.
Not a dietary issue.
He's a strong individual and may over-ride it.
Otherwise suck it up Eddie.

Fyfster

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont
Croz had 21 @ 60% with 4 clangers, poor defensively as well
Croz was o.k without being a standout , Like many games with us , I just don't see that he is ever going to be any better than he is now . he will be borderline B22 with them same as he was with us.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Croz was o.k without being a standout , Like many games with us , I just don't see that he is ever going to be any better than he is now . he will be borderline B22 with them same as he was with us.

Yes but if WB get on a winning run and he continues to play ok suddenly he will be seen as some sought of revelation that is playing Ablett like football. Its hilarious and happens regularly.

Only players in Melbourne are recognised to most of the media.

DeanS

Club Legend
May 16, 2007
Tuart Hill
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth
I actually feel bad for Mayne. How many years left at Collingwood does he have? They totally wish they could offload him.

This might be ignorant of me but he changed to a vegan diet in recent times. Wonder if thats got anything to do with his poor form? I mean he was pretty terrible towards the end of his time with us but this is next level bad.
Nothing good comes from being a vegan.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

Reading dogggies board, all of them have Crozier in their best 18

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe the way he's been treated by the flog that Buckley is, he doesn't gaf.
Yes, the way he's been scapegoated and spoken about by Buckley is appalling. We are fans and each have our players we don't like, and we can say it in the stands and curse their name, and if you go 'Nat hasn't been at his best lately' or you tell Harley Bennell to stop being a dickhead then that's different – Nat Fyfe will take the criticism as a blow to his ego, work hard for a few weeks, and get his form back while old Harley knows what the go is. But the way they've treated Mayne and almost literally said 'getting him was a mistake' is terrible. The bloke is still listed at your club and Bucks is just being a bully and deflecting his s**t coaching and Collingwood's odd recruiting onto a player.

It's *in terrible.

Then again every armchair footy fan loves their obvious scapegoats. Yes, sometimes they are no good. But a lot of people who go hur hurrr Chris Mayne so bad are the same who go wowee that Nit Nac is so good! It's basically the flipside of glamourising high profile players.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
This might be ignorant of me but he changed to a vegan diet in recent times. Wonder if thats got anything to do with his poor form? I mean he was pretty terrible towards the end of his time with us but this is next level bad.

mayne never looked in particularly ripping shape i'm not sure how going vegan would do him any favors!

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
People keep saying the money is going to make him feel better but I think that’s bullshit. I’ve worked in toxic environments before and no amount of money alleviates how depressing it can be.

You can't say that for sure unless the amount of money was $500k per year or more.

There's a lot I'd put up with for that amount of money that I wouldn't put up with for $60k a year.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
You can't say that for sure unless the amount of money was $500k per year or more.

There's a lot I'd put up with for that amount of money that I wouldn't put up with for $60k a year.

I can say it for sure, through personal experience and those of my friends/colleagues.

When you start to creep up to the limit of your mental health, when you doubt your own worth and esteem, when every day is a drudgery and is actually crazy-making because you feel isolated, like everyone is against you and you just look forward to going home, but when you get home you start to wonder what your partner thinks of you and you begin to misread all her cues and body language and you wonder if she’s thinking of a life change, and then one day you feel like you’ve become completely removed from yourself. Then that paycheck, which the taxman takes 2/5 of, it doesn’t mean much anymore because nothing does.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can say it for sure, through personal experience and those of my friends/colleagues.

When you start to creep up to the limit of your mental health, when you doubt your own worth and esteem, when every day is a drudgery and is actually crazy-making because you feel isolated, like everyone is against you and you just look forward to going home, but when you get home you start to wonder what your partner thinks of you and you begin to misread all her cues and body language and you wonder if she’s thinking of a life change, and then one day you feel like you’ve become completely removed from yourself.

A lot of people put up with all that stuff while still taking home s**t money. Just saying.

DeanS

Club Legend
May 16, 2007
Tuart Hill
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth

When you start to creep up to the limit of your mental health, when you doubt your own worth and esteem, when every day is a drudgery and is actually crazy-making because you feel isolated, like everyone is against you and you just look forward to going home, but when you get home you start to wonder what your partner thinks of you and you begin to misread all her cues and body language and you wonder if she’s thinking of a life change, and then one day you feel like you’ve become completely removed from yourself. Then that paycheck, which the taxman takes 2/5 of, it doesn’t mean much anymore because nothing does.
Great insight into mental health issues Sweetback. Thanks for that.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, but we’re not talking about them.

I don’t think Mayney is the sort of person who would be happy with just the paycheck. I’d be surprised if he lasts the length of his contract under the current conditions.

It's kind of unique situatuon though, you can't really compare it to a regular person's job.

The average person might be willing to take a small paycut for better conditions. I mean if you are on 85k but hate your boss it's totally fair to take a job somewhere else for 75 - 80k.

But if Mayne quit his job he'd be going from 500k a year to under 100k a year overnight, which is simply a really bad choice to make. That money he's forgoing represents the total cost of putting your future kids through private school - or buying a house. It's not something you just walk away from because feelings.

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
As well as potentially damaging to the player it's really counterproductive man management and coaching.I believe they paid well over the odds.At the height of his game perhaps Mayney was in that ballpark.
It's certainly not his fault they offered and paid what they did; but having purchased the item without guarantee you attempt to make the best of the situation.One thing the player definitely offers is honest and gut busting endeavour,application,discipline,experience ...etc etc.
Surely to protect your investment and the effectiveness and health of your working environment you offer every possible support and opportunity.
Beyond me that club...so much shithead central.

EDIT:Shane Yarran acquitted and awarded $5,500 court costs after prosecution withdrew the case.

Last edited:

Vintage

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's kind of unique situatuon though, you can't really compare it to a regular person's job.

The average person might be willing to take a small paycut for better conditions. I mean if you are on 85k but hate your boss it's totally fair to take a job somewhere else for 75 - 80k.

But if Mayne quit his job he'd be going from 500k a year to under 100k a year overnight, which is simply a really bad choice to make. That money he's forgoing represents the total cost of putting your future kids through private school - or buying a house. It's not something you just walk away from because feelings.
Honestly, you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about so shouldn’t really be commenting on this stuff with such definitive statements - like “...is simply a really bad choice to make”

Witch1

Team Captain
Sep 4, 2016
MCG
AFL Club
Fremantle
Honestly, you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about so shouldn’t really be commenting on this stuff with such definitive statements - like “...is simply a really bad choice to make”
I don't think Ydraw is talking about people with severe depression/suicidal tendencies, as you have inferred. In general his comments are spot on, you just have to make the best of it if the alternative is steep decline in living standard. Unless you're ok with that.

Back