Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that physical ability and game plan knowledge is more valuable to a young tall than games played but I might be on my own here on that.
AFL experience is far more valuable, you can't buy experience

also physically Treacy is a lot more developed than Hogan was and isn't missing games through injury so under your rules only the game plan knowledge favours Jesse

De-listed Fremantle Dockers speedster Stefan Giro ‘really hungry’ for AFL second chance
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Wed, 1 September 2021 3:44PM
Jordan McArdle

[PLAYERCARD]Stefan Giro[/PLAYERCARD] celebrates a goal for Peel Thunder.

Stefan Giro celebrates a goal for Peel Thunder. Credit: Daniel Wilkins/The West Australian

De-listed Fremantle running machine Stefan Giro is “really hungry” for a rookie or train-on lifeline, vowing to repay an AFL club’s faith if he gets one.
The 22-year-old was one of four players cut by the Dockers last week, alongside defenders Tobe Watson, Taylin Duman and winger Brett Bewley, after 14 appearances in four injury-affected seasons.
Giro admits he was “a bit inconsistent with a few things” coming back from anterior cruciate ligament, syndesmosis and hamstring injuries, but feels like he’s still got plenty to give at the top level.
I’m thankful for my time at Fremantle but really hungry for another opportunity and I think I could still provide a lot in the AFL” Giro told The West Australian.

“I missed pretty much two years of my development through injury so I reckon I can still get the best out of myself at AFL level and I think I’m up to it.

“Hopefully I can get a rookie or train-on spot and if I do, I’ll work really hard to try and get a permanent spot.”

[PLAYERCARD]Stefan Giro[/PLAYERCARD]. Fremantle Dockers training at Cockburn. 5 AUGUST 2021 Picture: Danella Bevis The West Australian

Stefan Giro at Fremantle training earlier this year. Credit: Danella Bevis/The West Australian
Giro bounced back from last week’s tough exit meeting to play a starring role for Fremantle’s WAFL affiliate Peel Thunder in a stunning come-from-behind win over Perth, amassing 29 disposals, eight inside 50s, seven marks and a goal.

He’s got one more game left for the Thunder against Subiaco at David Grays Arena on Saturday.

“It’s something you never see coming and there’s no easy way to take it,” Giro said.

“There was some stuff I needed to work on in my game and I’ve probably been a little bit inconsistent coming back from injury.

“I missed two years of footy pretty much, one with a knee and one with a pretty big syndesmosis injury, and then missed the last pre-season with a hamstring injury, so it probably took a while to get back into some of the things I was good at.

“I feel like those key attributes are really starting to come out now and I’m really setting myself for a big year next year.”

Although things didn’t go to plan with injury, Giro said he will look back fondly on his time at Fremantle after arriving in WA as an 18-year-old in the 2018 rookie draft.

“I’ve loved my time here, met so many great people including some life-long friends,” Giro said.

“I obviously had some tough times in rehab, missed a lot of footy and hadn’t played as much as I would’ve liked.

“Coming in as a kid, it’s not exactly the way I would’ve liked it to go but that’s part of footy of something you’ve just got to work through those things.

“Overall I’m so thankful for the opportunity that the club has given me and I’ve loved every minute.”

If a second chance doesn’t eventuate, Giro is “50-50” on whether to remain in his adopted State or return home to South Australia.

“I’m still definitely assessing my options in WA,” Giro said.

“I’ve really loved living here and I met my partner here so I’m still a good chance to live here.”

You have to admit that it's amazing how fast Stefan Giro can run when he doesn't have a right foot.

Yo Yo Test is where Giro tested strongly. Repeat sprints. Not far behind Andrew Brayshaw who holds the record. His 20m sprint was 2.93. Crowden was 2.92. These are quick times but not the quickest.

Jesse Hogan a late out from the Semifinal against the Cats... with another calf injury.
Feel for the guy. Was playing some alright footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why isn't Crozier playing this week?
Dropped on average form this year, got a reprieve late in the season but didn't perform and was dropped again

Can't crack into the team ahead of Daniel, Dale and Williams. Even Scott is ahead in emergencies right now.

He played a string of 7 or so games mid season but Daniel was playing mid for a bunch of it, he has settled back and Crozier can't get a crack

Geez Ed Langdon was impressive tonight. Plenty of run and barely any of his typical hospital bombs into the F50.

He would kick them out on the full for us
Like pretty much every player in every side, he'd shank a couple a game. The fact that 90% of his kicks would be from the paint on the wing, his shanks would look worse than other players' shanks, but his so-called terrible kicking was alway vastly overstated.

Ed was a gun over here, to put it in a Rossism his kicking was never as good or bad as it seemed
Was also a good decision maker if memory serves correct. Something that our midfield desperately needed at the time. Stoked he's playing well in a top team.

Menegola not so good though. He's one of those players can be top 3 on the ground for the Cats but can put in bottom 3 performance. That kick he had early in the match where he was pinged for deliberate...he much more time to do something but just put it on the boot and hacked it out to the boundary.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back