Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sam Collins looks like going to Suns.
I really hope he does and with May going, surely he gets a chance. I always rated him. The fact he's being talked about again at his age and his chance looking blown from the outside says a lot too. People on bigfooty just wrote him off as 'too slow' and it ended up being gospel... how slow really was he? Who said it first? And who gives a s**t if a full back isn't fast... A Subi supporting mate who doesn't really like the Dockers was a huge wrap for him.

One of those guys I really wanted to do well.

As for Moller and Duffy, good on them. I don't especially like or have faith in transplants (Moller's failure in the AFL for example) but good on them. Duffy especially. I thought he was harshly done by but so were a lot of blokes back in those days. Three games, lived in America and played in front of some of those massive crowds, decent way to spend your young life.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Collins doesn't play as a KPD anymore, he plays the loose back which suits his marking ability, still think Ryan does this job better so not fussed with us delisting him
If he was failing so dismally then why didn't we try that with him?

I still think he would have been a great back-up player.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
If he was failing so dismally then why didn't we try that with him?

I still think he would have been a great back-up player.
I just think we had better options as third talls with Johnno and Ibbo still around and then drafting Ryan, he kind of get pigeon-holed as a KPD. Ryan and Johnno both gave better bounce out of the backline compared to Collins which may or may not translate to AFL level.

I agree though, could have been handy as a backup in the Silvagni mould but maybe this will work out better for him, getting another chance at another club, if Silvagni had that he would have played many many more games IMO

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just think we had better options as third talls with Johnno and Ibbo still around and then drafting Ryan, he kind of get pigeon-holed as a KPD. Ryan and Johnno both gave better bounce out of the backline compared to Collins which may or may not translate to AFL level.

I agree though, could have been handy as a backup in the Silvagni mould but maybe this will work out better for him, getting another chance at another club, if Silvagni had that he would have played many many more games IMO
The issue is we shouldn't have had Ibbotson on our list and should have been phasing Johnson out by that stage. It's not like we had 20-year olds playing 20 games a season at full back then. Alex Pearce was even injured a lot when Collins was on the list.

Witch1

Team Captain
Sep 4, 2016
MCG
AFL Club
Fremantle
Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...-join-vfl-side-werribee-in-2019-ng-b88995135z

So Mick is playing VFL in 2019 at Werribee.

: Sigh : I'm a bit disappointed but not surprised. I hoped he'd get a lifeline at Carlton or maybe a role at Freo ... Being delisted by the worst team in the AFL doesn't do wonders for your job prospects, i guess.

I suspect he'll be a superstar at Werribee.
Playing assistant coach, hopefully he can get his coaching credentials in order and we can get him back then.

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
Our old mate Mayney got hitched this weekend.

He's had a good year.
20181020_172658.jpg

Congratulations Chopper.

Bender571

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I really hope he does and with May going, surely he gets a chance. I always rated him. The fact he's being talked about again at his age and his chance looking blown from the outside says a lot too. People on bigfooty just wrote him off as 'too slow' and it ended up being gospel... how slow really was he? Who said it first? And who gives a s**t if a full back isn't fast... A Subi supporting mate who doesn't really like the Dockers was a huge wrap for him.

It came from the coaches and himself
"They thought there were a few deficiencies in my game which were speed and agility, that’s something I’ve acknowledged and I’m currently seeing a few sprint coaches.”

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
proof that being an AFL footballer adds +8 to the classic 1-10 scale for a man.
I thought it was funny on here when people were were ripping into McPharlin for having a pretty average partner, but particularly when it was mostly women making the derogatory comments.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
I thought it was funny on here when people were were ripping into McPharlin for having a pretty average partner, but particularly when it was mostly women making the derogatory comments.
McPharlin's wife is gorgeous - naturally beautiful, not bottle blonde, cake-face make-up attractive, but an actual exotic natural beauty. IMO.

Last edited:
Back