Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

One_Wing

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nice of the AFL to change the rules to let GWS re-sign Mumford without him going through the draft.

Well I don't think other clubs were going to be clamoring for him anyway. Unless of course they would take him just to deny GWS.

The AFL needs to clarify these rules, can Mitch Grigg now be picked up by any club? He was previously on an AFL list
It sounds like any delisted player who has spent at least a season out of the game is a free agent straight onto the rookie list. That would mean anyone who has ever been drafted before in my view.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
It sounds like any delisted player who has spent at least a season out of the game is a free agent straight onto the rookie list. That would mean anyone who has ever been drafted before in my view.
Yeah what the hell?

So for example let's say Tim Kelly was drafted at 17 and delisted. Would anyone have been able to pick him up? Would it have been a bidding war?

Is this just in light of the Gold Coast/Carlton concessions of basically being able to pick up any state league player they want?

Yeah what the hell?

So for example let's say Tim Kelly was drafted at 17 and delisted. Would anyone have been able to pick him up? Would it have been a bidding war?

Is this just in light of the Gold Coast/Carlton concessions of basically being able to pick up any state league player they want?
Sounds like it. I expect the AFL will fix up that rule once Mumford is on GWS' list again. It's still the lesser of two evils to bend the rules like this, the alternative would be an openly compromised draft where a player makes it clear he will only play for one club and only from their rookie list for that club's list management purposes - the AFL couldn't turn a blind eye to it.

This way everyone saves face for an off-season and anyone who gets picked up as a result, like Zac Clarke is a winner too.

It means the likes of Jye Bolton, Mitch Grigg etc have a bit more wiggle room, but taking them as rookies was probably the only realistic chance for them anyway so not much bargaining power.

Tim Kelly under your example would have had a bidding war, if Chris Yarran hadn't gone completely off the rails and was dominating the WAFL he would too.

It's interesting for however long it lasts. Essendon really needed a mature bodied ruck and I think they would have seriously considered Mumford, any club with hopes of top four should, especially Geelong - so conveniently a video comes out with him doing drugs from three years ago. I suspect that didn't dissuade interest enough so the AFL stepped in to help further.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Even more confusing is that some people on the DFA board are saying if you have been passed on in a previous draft then you can be picked up by this rule, therefore Kelly could have gone to the Eagles last year for free. Thats crazy

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Even more confusing is that some people on the DFA board are saying if you have been passed on in a previous draft then you can be picked up by this rule, therefore Kelly could have gone to the Eagles last year for free. Thats crazy
So everyone is basically a free agent?

Does that mean Izak Rankine can go to the Suns or Carlton, St Kilda and play out his initial two year contract, go back to the SANFL for a season (while being employed as a coach), then sign with Adelaide for as much or little as he and they want?

The AFL is such a shambles.

Seriously who else is going to pick up Zac Clarke or Shane Mumford? Both probably have 15 AFL games left in them. It's academic. Even if someone else jumps in and grabs them in the pre-season/national/rookie draft, then boo hoo, you've lost out... that's the way it works. If you aren't in the AFL, you go to the draft. It seems bizarre to just bring in a rule for this explicit purpose.

I would absolutely love for us to be a bunch of cunning little rats and grab all the decently rated WAFL players and chuck them on the rookie list. What do we lose? A bunch of prospective picks anyway? They stay in WA, they get a guaranteed crack at the AFL. How many would realistically say no? Twelve months ago Kelly would have reached an agreement with us and three years ago Lobb and McGovern would've.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
We don't have any list spaces to do it this year, West Coast probably will though.

AFL needs to fix the rule up, make it age dependant like 26+

If you get delisted and you're over 26 its likely you don't have many suitors so they could use the help to get picked up, its not needed for the younger players.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
the problem with that is, Bolton got passed on at the draft last year which means he is supposedly eligible for it anyway (according to the DFA Board)
Fair enough too. If you're over say 23 24 25 (its arbitrary really) then as long as you wouldn't otherwise have been in contract (I.E. say you retired 1 year into a three year contract) then you should be a free agent. Hell clubs should be able to sign you at any time really as 1 year replacements for LTI's. As for it applying to 19 year olds that have been passed over once that's different. Would make a mockery of the draft and equalisation. Surely that's not whats happening.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Only in case he was delisted. But I think he was still on GWS list during his year off.
Doesn't part of it say "if a player delists himself"? So McCarthy could have done that at the end of 2015, played for South Freo for 2016, and Freo could then have picked him up as a FA at the end of that season, instead of trading for him.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
Doesn't part of it say "if a player delists himself"? So McCarthy could have done that at the end of 2015, played for South Freo for 2016, and Freo could then have picked him up as a FA at the end of that season, instead of trading for him.
Can a player delist himself? Surely he can choose to not honor his contract, but unless the clubs delist him he is still officially on his club's list. Or am I wrong?

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
He was contacted for 2016. Even before this Clarke and Mumford business there was precedent for that situation: remember Geelong had to trade for Clark and he had been out for a year and a half. The Mal Michael rule.
However had Cam sat out 2017 as well then I suppose he would have been a free agent under this latest well thought out announcement from the AFL.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
And forfeited his salary for the year?
Can a player delist himself? Surely he can choose to not honor his contract, but unless the clubs delist him he is still officially on his club's list. Or am I wrong?
He was contacted for 2016. Even before this Clarke and Mumford business there was precedent for that situation: remember Geelong had to trade for Clark and he had been out for a year and a half. The Mal Michael rule.
However had Cam sat out 2017 as well then I suppose he would have been a free agent under this latest well thought out announcement from the AFL.

That's the question I'm asking - isn't one of the clauses, "if a player is delisted, or delists himself"? So all of the above questions are what are baffling me...

Back