Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surprising to see ol Sutty get another go. Smart move of him to go to Port Magpies and end up at Port Adelaide. Nothing to lose and I'm sure he'll take another game or two as something to savour.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Sutty captained the Magpies I think this year, the port list manager spoke like he could come straight in through knowing their structures, only one from the whole draft who was spoken of like that.

DollaDollaBeal

Debutant
Aug 16, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
Good luck josh.. hopefully Carlton uses him in his position. Hard in and under type. Not outside or at half forward. DollaDollaBeal

Thanks for the support bud, Josh has worked very hard at another crack and Carlton is about as good as any landing spot to display his skill set. Hopefully he can impress them.

Bender571

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
So in recent year we've had the following player picked up after being de-listed;
Roberton,*
Menegola,*
Mzungu,
De Boer,*
Barlow,
Silvagni,
Sheridan,*
Collins,*
Clarke,*
Sutcliffe,*
Deluca,*

*Still on a list
Plus a few traded players still running around
Neale,
Weller,
Crozier,
Mayne,

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
So in recent year we've had the following player picked up after being de-listed;
Roberton,*
Menegola,*
Mzungu,
De Boer,*
Barlow,
Silvagni,
Sheridan,*
Collins,*
Clarke,*
Sutcliffe,*
Deluca,*

*Still on a list
Neale,
Weller,
Crozier,
Mayne,

We’d have to rank pretty highly amongst clubs with ex players on other lists.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
I reckon Sutty is going to do really well. I predict by the end of the year the handwringers on here will be bemoaning letting him go.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Roberton,* Unlikely to play again unfortunately.
Menegola,* Would be best 22
Mzungu, Right decision to delist.
De Boer,* Good player in a good side, would still be average here.
Barlow, Would’ve retired last year or this year anyway
Silvagni, Tried hard but Collins was better.
Sheridan,* Won’t be on a list next year.
Collins,* Would’ve requested a trade by now.
Clarke,* Won’t be on a list next year.
Sutcliffe,* Not as good as our current half backs.
Deluca,* Good luck to him, hope he does well.

*Still on a list
Neale, **** him
Weller, **** him
Crozier, Well done for getting himself a longer contract.
Mayne, Would’ve been delisted by now if he hadn’t left unfortunately

Roberton would’ve been great but that was ages ago and he’s just about finished now due to health concerns. Hope he lives a healthy life after footy.

I’ve said many times I think De Boer and Mayne (and Sutcliffe for that matter) would’ve continued to struggle here. Had enough chances here - 100+ games of them.

I think Collins would’ve eventually ended up requesting a trade after being stuck behind Pearce, Hamling and having Logue there as well. He’s better than getting the five games a year he would’ve got here. Sucks we got nothing for him though.

Menegola is the type of player we need. Not losing any sleep over any of the other delistees tbh. Ultimately though I think if Menegola was on our list for three years and wasn’t good enough to get a single game we’d make the same mistake again and so would 17 other AFL clubs.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Its funny that we have so many ex players running around on other lists, shows that our team was definitely pretty damn good during our "successful" period.

We also used to lose like maybe 1 player at most and trade in like maybe 1-2 from other clubs.

Now we trade in multiple players every year and lose multiple every year to other clubs, through delistings or trades.

Seems we have gone away from the full on draft approach and are attempting a sort of Hawthorn like approach of starting with the draft and filling out with trades.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Seems we have gone away from the full on draft approach and are attempting a sort of Hawthorn like approach of starting with the draft and filling out with trades.
All clubs are doing some variation of that now. We started doing it in 2008. The idea is to keep the bulk of your list within the prime age but have a healthy balance of age demographics represented.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
All clubs are doing some variation of that now. We started doing it in 2008. The idea is to keep the bulk of your list within the prime age but have a healthy balance of age demographics represented.
We were lucky in 2008 in that regard.
Pav, Mundy, Sandi, MJ, McPharlin, Tarrant, Grover were experienced enough to draft/debut players. Rebuilding with experienced core is easier then say complete clean out like Carlton doing.
Much more comfortable with what Freo did this time around too. Mature aged recruits but young enough with Brayshaw, Cerra, Tucker, Cox, Pearce, all quite young. B Hill, Hamling, Wilson are that age where you can have a rebuild and still they would be in their prime at the end of it.
Having Fyfe as captain, is about the same as Pavlich captain those years. Absolute professional, best or one of the best in the league and in their prime. That’s important too

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I would say we hardly brought in players over that time period though

Only discards or free hits like Sylvia, Pearce and Gumbleton.

Post our success period eg last 4 years, we have been bringing in quality players every season

aussieviking

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2008
Esperance
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
swan districts
Roberton,*
Menegola,*
Mzungu,
De Boer,*
Barlow,
Silvagni,
Sheridan,*
Collins,*
Clarke,*
Sutcliffe,*
Deluca,*

*Still on a list
Neale,
Weller,
Crozier,
Mayne,

I think it shows what a strong culture Fremantle have developed. Most of our players are developed as good team players and solid citizens. This is attractive to other sides

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
If he could, he'd be in front of around 15 of Freo's first 22.

He wouldn't be good enough to knock out any of our current back 6 currently.
I think it shows what a strong culture Fremantle have developed. Most of our players are developed as good team players and solid citizens. This is attractive to other sides

Sucks that DeBoer's contract was up when it was and Pearce / Crozier / Sheridan were contracted.

TheAge Real Footy podcast claimed that Freo enquired with DeBoer at the end of last year if he was "possibly" available. It was that flog McClure so take it with a grain of salt.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
I remember when Sutcliffe was voted player of the finals for us in 2014, the guy was talented but just lacked consistency. Hope he does well at Port

Back