Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone see how BHilly went? Only looked at the stats. About average for possessions, top third for Metres Gained and lead the Clanger count (for the Saints anyway)

Stats can be deceiving, but I'm happy we got Aish that's for sure - despite it being early days

He was good without being great. It actually looked like he was playing a more reserved role than he did with us. Less need or reliance on him. More within himself. The Saints were quite impressive and shared the load really well across their midfielders. Mentioned in another thread that they’ve picked up Zac Jones who seems to also have that great blend of pace and endurance which in itself would take some of the load off Hilly. Hanerberry adds another dimension and the young a Hunter Clark is looking very good.

At Freo, I think we depended on his gut running to create extra numbers but not so much at the Saints.

Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
They might not be able to have a runner spend half the game on the bench against a mature running team like Geelong.

Thought similar.

But Surely you can’t manage a mid/HF at 50% throughout the season you’re keen to play finals. Every game counts and the other 50% game time is being made up from the team.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Collins would be last in line for us anyway

Pearce > Hammer > Logue > Cox = Collins but Cox has more upside so I'd still play Cox
Shame 3/4 of those 4 are injured at the moment. 😢

Crozier played a whopper first quarter for the Dogs tonight, then faded a bit. Still, he’s a very handy B-grade player.

How we could give Colyer (C-), Kersten (C-), Matera (C), Crowden (C-) 3-year deals, but we couldn’t for a #20 draft pick, who played his best footy for us in the position where he’s now having great success at his new club? This club really is full of ‘I wonder if’ and ‘why TF’ and ‘how could they?’...

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Crozier missed his targets by foot in the passages of play I watched before I got bored. Disposal efficiency of 56%. 13 of his 16 disposals were kicks. He looks really good when he bursts into the open carrying the ball. In the action of kicking the ball, everything is aligned and stylish - one beautiful flat drop punt running through the centre went like a bullet a metre over the head of the leading forward, another one bounced 10m's short. Ended up with the most metres gained on the ground: 368m. Misleading stat, although the Dogs did well to get to the contest and not let the stray kicks rebound.

Last edited:

Ogrebait

All Australian
Jan 29, 2008
Paul's Boutique
AFL Club
Fremantle
How we could give Colyer (C-), Kersten (C-), Matera (C), Crowden (C-) 3-year deals, but we couldn’t for a #20 draft pick, who played his best footy for us in the position where he’s now having great success at his new club? This club really is full of ‘I wonder if’ and ‘why TF’ and ‘how could they?’...

I don't think Crozier leaving was all about length of contract. At the time I think the trade was more of a list management 'you've gotta give something to get something' kinda thing - what with Wilson and Matera coming in.

One of the picks we traded him for (#41) was bundled up with the Gold Coast bound Lachie Weller for pick #2 - which of course netted us Brayshaw. :)
The other pick we got out of the Crozier trade was used to select Scott Jones (at #75). :(
The Bulldogs also got our 2018 4th Rd pick (#57) in the deal. :neutral:

Funnily enough Footscray ended up trading that 4th-rounder back to us the next year in a pick swap - WB's picks #30 + #57 for our picks #34 + #41.
We used those picks on Valente (#32 after free-agency compensation and a matched NGA bid) and Schultz (#57).
(The Bulldogs selected Laitham Vandermeer and Ben Cavarra with their respective picks.)

Last edited:

Ogrebait

All Australian
Jan 29, 2008
Paul's Boutique
AFL Club
Fremantle
ImperialPurple, I'm with you on that 'WTF are they doing?' feeling in regards to some of our list management decisions though.

I could understand taking a punt on Kersten but for 3 years? I doubt any other club in the league would've offered him that. Similarly with an unproven Crowden.

I was comfortable with 3 years for Matera, I still hold hope that with his talent that he can put it all together like he did for much of last year.

Colyer on the other hand, I have little faith in. I think a 3-yr contract for him was 3 years too many. Why they traded in a player who couldn't cement a spot in Essendon's best 22 after 8 seasons there is beyond me. I know the pick was worth bugger-all but I honestly would've preferred we kept Sheridan for an extra year or two. Seriously, he's a better kick, cleaner below the knees, taller, bigger, with more potential - admittedly still yet to be fulfilled. He played more wing/defender than Colyer's forward/wing role but he'd be handy depth now.

I could go on - don't get me started on Giro - but perhaps this 'conversation' would be better served in another thread.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Crozier missed his targets by foot in the passages of play I watched before I got bored. Disposal efficiency of 56%. 13 of his 16 disposals were kicks. He looks really good when he bursts into the open carrying the ball. In the action of kicking the ball, everything is aligned and stylish - one beautiful flat drop punt running through the centre went like a bullet a metre over the head of the leading forward, another one bounced 10m's short. Ended up with the most metres gained on the ground: 368m. Misleading stat, although the Dogs did well to get to the contest and not let the stray kicks rebound.
I thought you were describing Weller just then

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
There’s some knock on Leon Cameron’s coaching at GWS & his inability to win a premiership with a quality squad. But his coaching of Matt De boer has been pretty impressive in keeping him relevant in the current game.

His job on Steele Sidebottom was a big part of the win last night.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
There’s some knock on Leon Cameron’s coaching at GWS & his inability to win a premiership with a quality squad. But his coaching of Matt De boer has been pretty impressive in keeping him relevant in the current game.

His job on Steele Sidebottom was a big part of the win last night.

It’s been good for Matt but using a tagger is neither new nor unique so I wouldn’t give Leon much praise for that. And, most importantly, it (using a hard tagger) hasn’t netted him the results that he should be getting with his list.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mayney did his usual meltdown in front of goal from 25 out dead in front at a critical time in the game , just when you start to think ....maybe he wasn’t so bad ..... bang there you are @ 7.49 pm on prelim final night 2015 with him lining up from 20m out dead in front wth all the momentum behind us

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mayney did his usual meltdown in front of goal from 25 out dead in front at a critical time in the game , just when you start to think ....maybe he wasn’t so bad ..... bang there you are @ 7.49 pm on prelim final night 2015 with him lining up from 20m out dead in front wth all the momentum behind us

Yep. Mayne was great in 2012/13 but fell off a cliff after that. I certainly don't miss the frustration of his continual misses right in front. Momentum killer.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s been good for Matt but using a tagger is neither new nor unique so I wouldn’t give Leon much praise for that. And, most importantly, it (using a hard tagger) hasn’t netted him the results that he should be getting with his list.
I’m talking in isolation. Deboer hasn’t just been used as a tagger & has had a variety of roles within that team that has allowed him to continue his career past his used by date as seen by Fremantle.

He was pigeon holed as a defensive half forward at the end with us despite winning huge amounts of the ball in the middle for Peel & at will. He is playing the same role as Banfield but a s**t load better.

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, he has Danyle Pearce traits there. Stylish looking but very ineffective kicking!

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle

Yes and so did one of the Collingwood 'younguns' form about 30 a few minutes later.....

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I liked Crozier and the club wanted to keep him but Lyon aside from the disaster of 2016 pigeonholed him as a fwd.

But at the end of the day he plays a position half back / half forward where most clubs can replace that sort of player as we have. Handy but able to replaced with a similar type.

Neale on the other hand.

Weller is an upgrade on Crozier because he plays more effectively and can play mid/wing.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I liked Crozier and the club wanted to keep him but Lyon aside from the disaster of 2016 pigeonholed him as a fwd.

But at the end of the day he plays a position half back / half forward where most clubs can replace that sort of player as we have. Handy but able to replaced with a similar type.

Neale on the other hand.

Weller is an upgrade on Crozier because he plays more effectively and can play mid/wing.

You look at the other forwards we had in 2017 and that is possibly why Crozier was a forward that year.

Don’t want to make excuses for the club too much but you can see the reason behind it.

Maybe if we hadn’t delisted De Boer and Barlow, Walters could’ve stayed forward and Crozier could’ve gone back.

Back