Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
I know its completely arrogant to think that you can spot holes in another game - and of course these things have all probably been tried and failed over the years. But when you watch an NFL game you can't help but think tactics from other games would work, a bit like this one. Most glaring example is passing - you often see a guy running straight into a tackle and he has a team mate wide open for a pass that any amateur rugby league player could execute 99 out of 100 times... But again there are obviously reasons for it not obvious to the casual observer.

I know its completely arrogant to think that you can spot holes in another game - and of course these things have all probably been tried and failed over the years. But when you watch an NFL game you can't help but think tactics from other games would work, a bit like this one. Most glaring example is passing - you often see a guy running straight into a tackle and he has a team mate wide open for a pass that any amateur rugby league player could execute 99 out of 100 times... But again there are obviously reasons for it not obvious to the casual observer.
I don't think you're allowed to pass the ball when you're ahead of the point the ball started from.

Whether they can kick it I don't know, but it's such a defensive "offensive" game because the plays can end with you giving the ball back if you make a mistake and then can't score while they do.

So a turnover by foot would be catastrophic

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lateral passes downfield can and do happen but like AFL, NFL players have it hammered into them to play the percentages because there is a ****load of money involved. You don't want to be the guy that takes the risk that would almost guarantee the opposition scores the other way if you screw it up and turn it over. It may not seem obvious (to a spectator) but if you've played both, there is a lot less room to move than you have in rugby (~20m less wide) - any space you have closes in an instant.

If you have nothing to lose though - eg 4th and lots with nothing left on the clock and down on the scoreboard then why not :)

You are more likely to see "trick" plays etc in college football - which is also why quite a lot of people prefer watching it over NFL.

Bender571

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

I've had the same thought about NFL, I've also wondered if rugby could use kicking more. It looks like a bullet pass from one wing to the other could open the play up more.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ditto some comments above on NFL. Especially with rugby. Even just basic tackling. NFL players can be horrendous at bringing down a player. They just try to torpedo in at the upper body to knock someone down (and/or knock the ball loose). When it comes to a simple tackle that wraps up the waist/legs, they are hopeless.

And lateral passes may be risky, but usually it is only used for a hail mary when time runs out. A play where they try to draw the opposition and then some standard rugby passing to get an overlap to what in rugby would be the winger ... this would have way more chance than their random laterals which have no system at all.

On a side note, it drives me insane how many people over there just call everything an Australian punter does as coming from "rugby". Even after being told it is Aussie Rules, they just shrug and say "whatever, it's all the same".

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
I don't think you're allowed to pass the ball when you're ahead of the point the ball started from.

According to wikipedia (which has never been wrong has it?):

While a forward pass may only be thrown once per down by the team on offense from within or behind the neutral zone, there are no restrictions on the use of lateral passes; any player legally carrying the ball may throw a lateral pass from any position on the field at any time, any player may receive such a pass

Obviously there are reasons why it isn't done but sometimes it just really, really LOOKS like a simple pass would be gold.

crazylegsdayne

Debutant
Jul 2, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle

1.) I think you're right, and I think these kinds of plays will be the next exploitable offensive innovation.

2.) But the reason why so few players do it is because of the massive opportunity cost if it doesn't work and you turnover the ball. There's a pretty massive correlation between losing the turnover battle and losing the game in the NFL. Statistically speaking, teams that win the turnover battle win the game 80% of the time.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
And you thought your Xmas period was bad... :)

(his Twitter was the captive for those thinking a terrorist organisation may have kidnapped him)

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
And you thought your Xmas period was bad... :)

(his Twitter was the captive for those thinking a terrorist organisation may have kidnapped him)

On top of that, his original IG account was hacked and he had to create a new one.

Much like Angus Brayshaw had to do.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Jesse

Attachments

• 4762B235-2BCC-4BF9-8C9E-74640F514CE5.png
    4762B235-2BCC-4BF9-8C9E-74640F514CE5.png
    1 MB · Views: 270

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers

I was a huge Hogan fan (even named my smoker after him) but I’m glad we don’t have to worry about players on our list like him. ie Bennell, Etc.. The off season already just feels different.

They are a distraction to the other players and with such a young list we want the boys focusing on their game not answering questions about how Hogans going after flipping his car...

I applaude Bell and Co for not just giving lip service to try and change the culture of the club. They are making the hard decisions which is what it takes. I really like the direction the club is heading.

It’ll pain me to see Hogan kick a bag for GWS but I wish him the best. It clearly wasn’t meant to be at FFC. I’m glad we gave Hogan a shot but I’m also glad he’s gone. Lol.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
No mention of the dockers.

Had to thank Ross through the questions

fu** u lachie.
When Judd won his second Brownlow it was "Carlton this, Richard Pratt that" and when asked afterward about his time at the Eagles he responded "they had nothing to do with this." Its fcuked but what else are they going to say. Past clubs will forever play a part but they are not the forefront, not until the player retires at least.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hopefully being out of that WA bubble spotlight will be good for him. If he can have an extended injury-free run it'll allow his extensive assets (elite footy smarts, athleticism, power, aerobic capacity) to shine.
If he lasts at GWS it will be because he has finally decided to pull his head in after staring his footy mortality in the face. After wanting a big multi-million dollar long term deal here it must be hard to realise you are on a one year deal for way less money than you thought you were worth at GWS.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
If he lasts at GWS it will be because he has finally decided to pull his head in after staring his footy mortality in the face. After wanting a big multi-million dollar long term deal here it must be hard to realise you are on a one year deal for way less money than you thought you were worth at GWS.
Or he's more at peace within himself. Or that environment's more in his comfort zone. Or he gets substantial continuity from injury...

Choose your own adventure really.

But what he was able to produce onfield in his first four years of his career, pre-navicular, was more than solid. So take what you will.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
I hate seeing him in orange. 😫

Orange is Mitch Marsh’s and Jhye Richardson’s colour.

Purple should have been Jesse Hogan’s colour. What am I supposed to do with my 2019 membership card now? Huh??

scottishdiction

Bloody Good Rep
Jan 14, 2021
Equidistant between London and Reading
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Falkirk

Whether they can kick it I don't know, but it's such a defensive "offensive" game because the plays can end with you giving the ball back if you make a mistake and then can't score while they do.

So a turnover by foot would be catastrophic
you're absolutely amazing, is there a sport you dont know anything about?

Back