Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Stung a bit watching Billy last night. Didn't actually watch any Saints games last year, but watching him run around last night like a madman racking it up and doing those deft little kicks to advantage... Ugh. I miss him. was great having him around the club.

Hope Saints and Carlton both finish bottom four. **** em.

He was a great clubman and man. The work he did for Starlight was legendary, we didn’t want him so he took his opportunity and a substantial pay rise. I think he would have loved to have been a one club player but no one is going to pass up getting something like double your money.

I like him like the way we like Crowley when he came back to play against us. I love players who give a hundred percent when they play and he was certainly one of those.

For me, totally different. Crowley was delisted after a (pretty unfair) 12 month suspension, when so many of us wanted him to come back and play on.

Mayne was looking for a longer contract as there was only 2 years on the table. He was entitled to make the decision to leave the club, and while he gave his all, I think we shouldn't forget he pretty much played like poo for his last two years with us. He was so frustrating. Collingwood offered that contract to him based on past performance. We were jumping over the moon to get such good compensation for a player who was 'past it'. I'm happy for him that after an absolutely horrendous first year at the Pies, he persevered and was able to reinvent himself and force his way into their B22.

Like I said, I have no residual love or respect for him as a player. As a human being, that's a different story - he's a wonderful person. I also stated quite clearly that I don't and wouldn't boo him.

Mayney didn't want to leave, have a look at the footage of his last game (Pavs last) he was in tears from the moment the siren sounded, he knew he was gone because he had to, Freo were going to rebuild and weren't going to guarentee him a spot or get anywhere near the $$ he was offered.
As above. And I think the tears were just as much for Pav as himself. He's a pretty emotional bloke and, to his credit, not afraid to show it.

I still think they thought they were buying David Mundy.

Yes

I do share your POV mostly but personally I don't like it Unless unreservedly deserved ( Read : bullshit free kick or 50 in the dying seconds , someone getting clocked behind the play , dirty dogs like Toby Green ) Booo the hell out of that sh*t .

But players who put in their all for the club over many years ( probably not a great description for Jesse but he did look like he was trying a couple of times ) deserve more respect IMHO
Yes Jesse had his fair share of problems but he did take the piss a bit. I certainly won't miss his onfield tantrums or his (lack of) second efforts.

Yesterday’s podcast with Rhino (Perth journo) was eluding without actually saying that there’s whispers of little hogan getting up to mischief over there.

Inevitable maybe.. or maybe a lie but Rhino is showing himself to be a quality WA journo (comparatively speaking to the s**t we currently deal with)

Nice to have an incident free off season is all I’ll say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watched Harley Bennell getting booted out of the Pen pub down in Mandurah last night

Really felt like I was witnessing a bit of Freo modern history up close

HB went along quietly but it was weird the bouncers didn’t even try to make him and his mates leave but just called in the stormtroopers and about 8 of them came roaring up the lawn in 2 divvy vans , milled around outside chatting for about 20 mins then Harley and friends just all got up and left anyway

I know HB has only himself to blame but it seemed a pretty s**t kinda prejudice too me

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Yesterday’s podcast with Rhino (Perth journo) was eluding without actually saying that there’s whispers of little hogan getting up to mischief over there.

Inevitable maybe.. or maybe a lie but Rhino is showing himself to be a quality WA journo (comparatively speaking to the sh*t we currently deal with)

Nice to have an incident free off season is all I’ll say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which podcast?

Im ok about Weller, Neale and Hill leaving. We got great draft picks in return, and while they were here they tried hard, played well and were great clubmen. There was a clear ROI

I am pissed about Bennel and Hogan going. The amount of time, money and picks we put into these guys, just regrettable. Not to mention, the negative effects on team culture too.

What hurts the most is the amount of 1st round draft picks we have blown early in the past decade on picks that just didnt work out. They should now be in their prime driving us to maiden flag:
2009: Morabito - FAIL
2010: Pitt - FAIL
2011: Sheridan - FAIL
2012: Josh Simpson - FAIL
2013: Apeness - FAIL
2014: Weller - Traded, good draft picks received in return
2015: Tucker - Ok so far
2016: Logue - Injury prone, but there is hope
2017: Brayshaw - Gun (in context of other first picks)
2018: Sturt - Injury prone, but there is hope
2019: Young - Hopeful

Im ok about Weller, Neale and Hill leaving. We got great draft picks in return, and while they were here they tried hard, played well and were great clubmen. There was a clear ROI

I am pissed about Bennel and Hogan going. The amount of time, money and picks we put into these guys, just regrettable. Not to mention, the negative effects on team culture too.

What hurts the most is the amount of 1st round draft picks we have blown early in the past decade on picks that just didnt work out. They should now be in their prime driving us to maiden flag:
2009: Morabito - FAIL bad luck with injuries
2010: Pitt - FAIL heart issues
2011: Sheridan - FAIL agreed
2012: Josh Simpson - FAIL agreed
2013: Apeness - FAIL agreed
2014: Weller - Traded, good draft picks received in return agreed
2015: Tucker - Ok so far pick 27 not first round
2016: Logue - Injury prone, but there is hope agreed
2017: Brayshaw - Gun (in context of other first picks)agrees
2018: Sturt - Injury prone, but there is hope agreed
2019: Young - Hopeful agreed
What this shows is our drafting between 2011 (compromised draft) and 2013 was s**t. Mora and Pitt, if luck was on our side, could of gone a long way to 2013 premiership. Since 2014, I would argue our drafting has been good

2009: Morabito - FAIL
2010: Pitt - FAIL
2011: Sheridan - FAIL
2012: Josh Simpson - FAIL
2013: Apeness - FAIL
2014: Weller - Traded, good draft picks received in return
2015: Tucker - Ok so far
2016: Logue - Injury prone, but there is hope
2017: Brayshaw - Gun (in context of other first picks)
2018: Sturt - Injury prone, but there is hope
2019: Young - Hopeful
2017 - Brayshaw, Cerra
2018 - Sturt
2019 - Young, Serong, Henry

All of these were first round draft picks. First round draft picks aren’t just the guys you pick first.
We already know Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong are hits, Young has looked the goods, Henry needs to catch up to the speed of the game, Sturt needs to stay uninjured, but we know he can play. But there’s at least 4/6 from 2017-2019 drafts that have been wins.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2017 - Brayshaw, Cerra
2018 - Young, Serong, Henry

All of these were first round draft picks. First round draft picks aren’t just the guys you pick first.
We already know Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong are hits, Young has looked the goods, Henry needs to catch up to the speed of the game. But there’s at least 4/5 from 2017/2018 drafts that have been wins.
The average pick for these five is #6

The eight seasons before (Morabito #4 to Logue #8) which also included Crozier but doesn't include Tucker averaged #14

This won't surprise anyone as it's obvious that during our better seasons we had worse draft picks, they were also the years GCS and GWS had access to players before the draft compounding that problem.

Our first round picks, particularly in 2010 and 2011, were heavily compromised.
2010 we finished 6th (pick #13) - we ended up with pick #20 which was after the twelve 17 year olds taken by GCS the year before
---- Penalised potentially twenty picks, into a late second rounder.
2011 we finished 11th (pick #7) - we ended up with pick #16 which was after the twelve 17 year olds taken by GWS the year before
---- Peanlised potentially twenty one draft picks, a late second round pick at best.
2012 we finished 6th (pick #13) - we ended up with pick #17 which was after you consider the removal of O'Meara and Crouch the year before.
---- Penalised effectively six draft picks, pushing us into what would have traditionally been a second round pick.

I don't think we have a good hand out of this period for the reasons listed above. Teams that were similarly placed to us have either stocked up on free agents, played their mature players well into their 30s or a combination of the two, picked up lots of young players via father son concessions to mask the impact - or they have fallen away too. Sides that were lower on the ladder are at the top now, this may be cyclical but to me it looks like the club took the chance while it could to try for a flag, the teams in the middle of the ladder have essentially stagnated there because their access to talent was so damaged.

I would have liked for us to have extracted more value out of GCS and GWS, poaching their players for cheap, to try and mitigate it a bit but here we are.

New rebuild, new patch of very high picked talent. Much better building blocks for the future.

Ridiculous that 11 years after GCS originally started in the comp and disrupted the draft order so heavily, they are still getting over-the-top draft concessions that penalise every other club.

Yep the AFL are pretty much demanding that they succeed and are doing everything in their power to make it happen. Oh to live in an NRL state.

If Scott Chisholm is done for assaulting his girlfriend I am going to be devastated. I loved watching him play, don't want him to be a grub. Hope the victim is okay and being supported if it's true.

domestic violence cases involving anyone with a moderate profile will be featured prominently in newspapers, this isn’t something to raise a conspiracy against the west about

domestic violence cases involving anyone with a moderate profile will be featured prominently in newspapers, this isn’t something to raise a conspiracy against the west about
Was Adam Hunter front page though?

Just watched the end of the Territory grand final. Ryan Nyhuis playing for Nightcliff.

Scores were level on the final siren 102 points apiece. Did not recognise him at the time because he's put on a lot of weight, but former Port Adelaide player John Butcher took a mark and then played on a snapped a goal just a few seconds before the siren to level the scores. Luckily he was only about 10 metres out.

Nightcliff scored 1.1. points to 0 in the 5 minutes each way of extra time.

Nightcliff three-peat and PINT take out historic first premiership on NTFL grand final night - ABC News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back