Oppo Camp Former Freo player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just watched the end of the Territory grand final. Ryan Nyhuis playing for Nightcliff.

Scores were level on the final siren 102 points apiece. Did not recognise him at the time because he's put on a lot of weight, but former Port Adelaide player John Butcher took a mark and then played on a snapped a goal just a few seconds before the siren to level the scores. Luckily he was only about 10 metres out.

Nightcliff scored 1.1. points to 0 in the 5 minutes each way of extra time.

Nightcliff three-peat and PINT take out historic first premiership on NTFL grand final night - ABC News

How did Nyhuis go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
How did Nyhuis go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually only watched from when the scores were 96 vs 102. I only recognised him running up and telling players where to go, like he had some leadership role when they levelled the scores. I think he's a past premiership player with Nighcliff from before he was drafted to us and also a premiership player for the NT Thunder.

From what I saw it looked like he was at full back, but St Mary's didn't score during the time I watched.

Also gleaned from the NT News headlines from 3 days ago (the articles are behind paywall) -that he's staying up in the NT to coach - and also there's a byline from yesterday that describes him as a "star Nightcliff swingman".

Last edited:

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Ballas

Attachments

• 033C1659-0DB2-4E15-8D2B-4E4E30579200.png
    033C1659-0DB2-4E15-8D2B-4E4E30579200.png
    758.4 KB · Views: 174

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
Cam McCarthy with 4 touches on his debut for Souths.

I'm very surprised he hasn't had more of it.

I was at the game and unfortunately must have missed 3 of his 4 touches, not sure if it was a bad game for him or what? Mathew Parker on the other hand was a very good player for Souths on his return from St Kilda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly? I don't think he spent a hell of a lot of time on the ground. South also needs to work out where he fits into the system and how to use him since we already have Shaw and Stromm as the 2 main targets up forward.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle

After his first season in the AFL he was such hot property we were going to hand over two first round picks for him!
Just shows we shouldn’t get too carried away with some young lads after a few decent performances

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks

The west are reporting Cam has left South Freo - or been punted.

I can't read behind the paywall.

Either way, he's done.

1617937130071.png

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
WAFL 2021: Cam McCarthy’s South Fremantle stint over after just one match
Headshot of Mitchell Woodcock

Mitchell WoodcockThe West Australian
Fri, 9 April 2021 10:25AMComments
Mitchell Woodcock

McCarthy in action last weekend.

McCarthy in action last weekend. Credit: Gary Day/AFL Photos

Former Dockers forward Cam McCarthy has walked away from South Fremantle after just one game at WAFL level.
The 26-year-old signed a two-year deal with the reigning premiers in November after he sensationally quit the Dockers before the AFL season ended last year.
McCarthy has not attended a training session since he collected four disposals in the club’s opening round win over West Perth and was subsequently dropped from the team to play Claremont at Revo Fitness Stadium tomorrow.
In a statement to The West Australian, South Fremantle said McCarthy had not made contact with the club since the end of round one.

“As always, the club’s main concern is with Cam’s health and we will continue to assist in this area,” the club said.

The forward had limited preparation ahead of round one, playing just the one reserves pre-season game before the season opener.

McCarthy made 70 AFL appearances across six seasons, 21 at GWS and the last 49 at Fremantle, booting 99 goals after being drafted from the Bulldogs in 2013.
He walked away from the Dockers before the end of the season when he was told he’d not be offered a contract for 2021.
He and his then manager Colin Young applied to get him a WAFL exemption to play in the state league late last year, but the push was unsuccessful.
As late as December, McCarthy said he still held hope of returning to the AFL, telling Channel 7 he’s “still got more to give”.
“I’m not satisfied with my AFL career at the moment,” he said.
“My ultimate goal is to get back into the AFL.
“And if I can somehow play a little part in another success for South Fremantle going forward, then I’ll take that every day of the week.”

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Need to gather around Cam, cannot be in a good place. All the best Cam.
Strange one. Hope he is ok. Can’t imagine there be a falling out with the club. He was singing the club song and mixed in with all the players when South won the flag last year.

Maybe he has realised after playing a game at league with his health that he just isn’t up to it. Four touches and a heap of time on the bench.

Watching some of the limited footage of 2020 Freo reserve practice games he seemed to really labour. Comments around slowly building to full fitness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back