News Former Geelong VFL footballer Casey Tutungi diagnosed as a quadriplegic

Remove this Banner Ad

Concerns for South Barwon co-coach Casey Tutungi after clash in ...

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/...casey-tutungi.../story-fni2flhh-12266682688...
4 hours ago – South Barwon co-captain Casey Tutungi suspected serious neck and spinal injuries in a match on Saturday. Source: News Limited.

There is very little information at the moment and Casey's FaceBook page has some people wishing him a speedy recovery.

I could not access this link above.
Lets hope that he recovers soon. 1:47pm Sun

The quote from him when it happened is very disturbing. Perhaps someone in the know on such things can offer insight, cos it reads terribly.

horrible news.

has been a super courageous and well respected player for us for a long time.

hope he makes it through. my heart goes out to him and his family at this time.

Without pretending to know what happened, the prevelance of players leading with their head is something that needs to be discouraged.

Let's hope his initial lack of feeling is just that and he makes a full recovery.

This is a brutal and, at times, dangerous game. Watching yesterday's VFL game AND being able to hear the hits reminds you just how physical it is.

This is a brutal and, at times, dangerous game. Watching yesterday's VFL game AND being able to hear the hits reminds you just how physical it is.

That's why I get slightly bemused at people on this board who suggest that certain players are soft.
Easy to say for keyboard warriors on the safe side of the chalk line.

That's why I get slightly bemused at people on this board who suggest that certain players are soft.

You get the impression some don't watch that much footy in the flesh.

Watching a ferocious game which the Bankers v Port was early, and seeing and hearing how hard the likes of Caddy go in, makes you appreciate things a little more.

Fair to say no AFL player is soft, if that was the case they wouldn't get close to getting out there.

More News. And it is not good.

Geelong Local Footy FM
Update on Casey Tutungi
Unfortunately Casey has severely damaged his spinal cord along with his 4th & 5th vertebrae whilst playing football yesterday. He was operated on last night at the Austin hospital and the spine has been stabilised. The real damage is to the spinal cord and its functions which control his body's movements. He is in ICU and as his health progresses, we will know more over the next few weeks about how his body will recover. Casey is a physically and mentally strong but needs all the love and support you can give him into the future. Pete Spring has kindly offered to be our go between for information on Casey at the moment. Please feel free to pass this on to your friends that may know Casey. He is unable to except visitors at the moment but as soon as he can he would love to see his mates and friends.

Was at the game, was in a contested situation yet still managed to catch what happened pretty well.

Tutungi had the ball for 4 or 5 metres and did duck his head into the chest of a St Joseph's player, wasn't awarded the free. Went down and was talking about why he didn't get the free, next minute he's realised he can't feel anything and can't move. Then went in to shock. Players from both teams were horrified and more than happy to call the game off.

Was probably the worst thing I've seen on a footy field, something that happens so regularly and for something like this to happen in any situation, yet local footy, while helping his local club and playing with his mates, is horrible. Wishing him and his family the best.

sounds so innocuous, was there much momentum between the two players when they collided or was it just a freak accident?

4, 5 metres sounds like had time to get some speed behind him. Must have been bloody horrible for all who were at the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sounds so innocuous, was there much momentum between the two players when they collided or was it just a freak accident?

Freak accident. The St Joseph's player was at a stand still with his arms up and wide, giving the "I'm not touching him signal". Tutungi was going with a fair bit of acceleration leading with his head.

The quote from him when it happened is very disturbing. Perhaps someone in the know on such things can offer insight, cos it reads terribly.
Spinals are terrible injuries and assuming that report of cord damage is correct, conservatively the best case scenario is a C5 paraplegia, worst case is C4 quadriplegia. That said, it is too early and we know too little to be able to make any kind of prediction of the long term implications of this injury.

Horrible.
I really loved his attitude.

Absolutely. This is the toughest game on earth and just getting out on the park is a significant statement from an individual that they're anything but soft. I haven't played for years, mainly because I just can't afford to get injured. It's just not compatible with my line of work.

I was at an A grade local match yesterday watching a mate and in that one game alone 1 bloke was knocked out and another one came off in agony with a broken scapula. Almost every local game I've been to this year I've seen a fairly serious injury.

Sounds like a terrible, freak accident.

Not being a smart arse and maybe not the time to discuss it but any cervical injury (i.e. C1-C8) is considered quadriplegia. An injury from T1-L2 is considered paraplegia.

You may be thinking of a complete vs incomplete injury which can be very different. Best case is an incomplete injury and there are indeed some people who can make a full recovery (however, unlikely).

In terms of function, you're right, C5 is preferred to C4 level of injury as someone with C5 will have use of their triceps.

Yeah I know about the Cervical-Thoracic definition but putting it in layman's terms it functionally means 'paraplegia' with deltoid and biceps/triceps ability for anything under C5. You don't need to "correct" me on this stuff. I mean if _I_ wanted to be a smart arse I would have corrected you using "quadriplegia" as an outdated term for "tetraplegia" (and even then, people would argue that they're not the same thing) but this isn't the time or place to act like w***ers about definitions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back