Former Player: Daniel Cross

Remove this Banner Ad

#4: Daniel Cross (Crossy)

DSC00437_1%252520%252528Large%252529.JPG

Photo by [name]Old_Dog[/name]

DOB: 30th March, 1983

Drafted: Pick 56, 2000 AFL Draft (recruited from Albury)

Height: 187cm Weight: 86kg

2011 review:

Games: 22
Goals: 1
Subsituted: r18 (off)
Best and Fairest: 6th (74 votes)
Dreamteam: 2140 points; $371,300 (-$57,600)
Supercoach: 2108 points; $428,200 (-$126,300)

Contract status: End of 2013

Stats history: Daniel Cross (AFL Tables)

In his 10th season, Cross didn't reach the heights of previous years but still managed to lead the club in handballs (323), marks (125) and tackles (125). His trademark courage both in packs and in the air made him a key contested ball winner in the midfield.

His best game was the round 3 win over an inexperienced Gold Coast, where he collected 37 disposals. His only other 30 possession game was the 10 goal win over Port Adelaide in round 22. He suffered concussion against Sydney in round 18 and was subbed off.

His role in the team has been questioned recently, with critics pointing to his lack of pace combined with awkward kicking, but Cross's ability to win the hard ball will make him an important part of the Bulldogs' midfield in 2012.

Cross was awarded the most courageous player in 2011.

A selection of past threads about Daniel:

Where to for D Cross? (2011)

Trade Boyd or Cross (2010)

Crossy breaking records :D

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/140477/default.aspx
DANIEL Cross averages more handballs per game than any other player in the history of the AFL/VFL.

The revelation that Cross is an AFL record-breaker will surprise many, given the veteran Western Bulldogs midfielder is such a selfless, unassuming player. But then again, he has set a benchmark in the very statistical category that most highlights his unselfishness.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/140477/default.aspx

Often as supporters we only measure by stats and perception on the field. Daniel Cross has been a great debate this season. Many calling for him to retire.
Daniel Cross offers much much more to our team than his on field perception and stats. Yes he kicks lollipops, yes he is slow, yes he handballs back too often. Yes this all looks very bad.
What he offers our team far outweighs all that. Pushes back into defence, will go hard all day no matter the score, sacrifice his body, run and run to provide a lead or make space for someone else to lead, onfield leadership - young players benefit from watching him go into packs. There's endless examples.

Of all players he doesn't deserve to get an injury like that. And the fact that Wilkes smashed him into the ground without being able to defend himself really fires me up. WHY did no one go over to Wilkes and even the score, they had the whole game to do it. That is a disgrace in itself.

Watching him on the bench touched me big time. This guy who would die for our jumper sits in agony pondering his career. Then there are piss weak players like Grant who won't chase or go into a contest with a 10ft pole.

Cross was crying on the bench, it looked like he knew something that we don't. I hope that isn't the case because our young players need a role model like him to be out there with. He is a leader by example, we don't have many of those. His perception looks worse because 90% of our other players are terrible. And he doesn't complement Libba, Wallis, Boyd being in the same team. But has anyone thought that LIbba and Wallis just may not be as good if they didnt have Cross in the same team. He makes them better.

Any true supporter would be feeling for Crossy right now, especially seeing his reaction on the bench. If you didn't (Like some ******* in the gameday thread calling for a tissue), you should be questioning yourself.

Lets have a nice thread for a change..

:thumbsu::thumbsu: Daniel Cross

Nice thread mate. It will be a shame if he goes out like that. Been a great of the club, and like you've stated here, the way he goes back into packs and takes those great defensive marks for someone his size is a great reflection on his big heart. I hope he can get back.

Had to assume he thinks his career's over based on the scenes on the bench. Absolute warrior and doesn't deserve to go out like this.

He's been hard done by this year by some supporters. He's always been a limited player, but you compare him to some of the soft noodles on our list and you have to appreciate what he gives us.

Saints flogged us as badly last time when he played the whole game

Hard to single anyone out as being much more crappier than anyone else in losses like that, it takes over half the side to tank to achieve these lows

Agree with the first thread, shattering for him.

He is probably in the bottom 6 at our club for skills, but no one has got more out of themselves than him, great leader and will be a big loss. If half our list had his effort we would be a lot higher on the ladder. Hope he comes back soon.

So what is he on - 197 games? How many weeks is usual for an AC joint? 5 games to go and 3 needed for the 200. looks like it may have to wait until next year - he deserves to get there.

Sincerely hope he isnt being pushed out, we saw whats happened with the Dees when they started shipping off club legends to get kids in. You dont sell your soul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor old Crossy, the way West and Brian Royal finished up was sad also. Royal from memory played 199 games, kicked 299 goals!

Sincerely hope he isnt being pushed out, we saw whats happened with the Dees when they started shipping off club legends to get kids in. You dont sell your soul.

I agree but i feel that one of Hargrave, Gilbee and Cross needs to go to make room for youth. My preference would be for Gilbee to go (he even mised targets by hand today and his pace is gone) and maybe Hargrave (he is a turnover king but i am not sure we have anyone else tall enough and mobile enoght to play that third tall defender role). Hopefully Cross stays for one more year and with Higgins, Gia, Boyd, Lake, Murphy and Minson we have enough experience to assist the pups.

I agree but i feel that one of Hargrave, Gilbee and Cross needs to go to make room for youth. My preference would be for Gilbee to go (he even mised targets by hand today and his pace is gone) and maybe Hargrave (he is a turnover king but i am not sure we have anyone else tall enough and mobile enoght to play that third tall defender role). Hopefully Cross stays for one more year and with Higgins, Gia, Boyd, Lake, Murphy and Minson we have enough experience to assist the pups.
I think the games gone past both Gilbee and Hargrave who will be out at the end of the year, Cross still has more to offer

Sad for Cross. To me it looked like he knew it was his last season and didn't want to go out like that. Or maybe he just wants to be out there no matter what. I still think there is a place for him so hopefully it works out to be ok.

Slightly off topic, but other people have mentioned it. Calling for Gilbee to be axed is a bit strange. In the few games he has played this year he has already done more than Hargrave did the entire first half of the season. Excellent skills and he reads the play so well. He has intercepted the ball quite a few times since coming back and hasn't really been exposed for the lack of footspeed everyone loves to talk about. I'm not saying he is lighting things up, but if I were to pick one to go I would pick Hargrave. Addison does the same job but goes in twice as hard, is younger and already signed up for 2 more years.

I love Gilbee, but think he is way off the mark. Looked very ordinary at times today with a few turnovers by hand and foot, but wasn't the worst by far.

Watching him on the bench touched me big time. This guy who would die for our jumper sits in agony pondering his career. Then there are piss weak players like Grant who won't chase or go into a contest with a 10ft pole. :thumbsu::thumbsu: Daniel Cross

Well said.

I & Mick Malthouse (3AW today) agree with the Grant scenario - "he just doesn't look interested" he said. We've seen this before from him too.

Poor DC. I don't know if you heard what Macca said as he was interviewed coming off the ground at the end of the quarter, but it sounds like DC knows something we don't. Words to the effect of "he's been a great player for the club & we wish him all the best for a speedy recovery" - something like that. Putting what I heard him say & the tears together & it sounds like it was DC's last game.

If they are culling like that, I don't know where they think they are going to get any decent players who are ready for that level next year. It will take years to build a team similar to the way West Sydney are doing it and we don't have that guaranteed time or money - the club will be struggling for support.

Had to assume he thinks his career's over based on the scenes on the bench. Absolute warrior and doesn't deserve to go out like this.

Cross was resigned for two years prior to this season starting... Along with Boyd for two years and Gia one. Even if his season is done, i can't see him not running around next year.. as others have mentioned, we can't afford to pay someone out of their contract, why not keep him running around for his leadership qualities anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back