Traded Jake Stringer (#973)

Remove this Banner Ad

He hasn't hid the fact that they've played poorly, but if you had a young side you'd cling to the experience and strong bodies as long as you can. You can't play a team of 18 year olds like you seem to want to Fronk. I agree that Gia is past it, Higgins needs to pull his finger out and Dickson's been in bad form, but they do offer support and our goal tally last year shows that they can slot them. I think you're forgetting that in a dark year those three were the shining lights in our forward line.
That's a disappointing post dannnnnnnn. Where in my post did I mention 18 year olds? Seriously man.

I mentioned variation. Gia, Dickson, Higgins and murph are all talented in their own right, but having all 4 in the forward line completely threw the balance out.

He hasn't hid the fact that they've played poorly, but if you had a young side you'd cling to the experience and strong bodies as long as you can. You can't play a team of 18 year olds like you seem to want to Fronk. I agree that Gia is past it, Higgins needs to pull his finger out and Dickson's been in bad form, but they do offer support and our goal tally last year shows that they can slot them. I think you're forgetting that in a dark year those three were the shining lights in our forward line.

McCartney spoke in his presser about the structure of Jones, Stringer and Austin working well, with Jones getting a lot of help from the bigger bodies of Stringer and Austin. I've got a feeling we'll see the forward line built more around Jones, Stringer and a swingman tall like Austin, Roughead or Williams with support from Dahlhous and a more defensive, bigbodied small like Smith. Cordy may have to work hard at VFL level to get the spot of the swingman/tall in the forward line as he has some competition (and perhaps some more to come in Roberts.)

When we had Barry Hall it was the first time in years that I was confident about a set shot at goal from on or around 50m. I have that same confidence when Stringer has that footy and goes back for a shot. He is also a monster when the ball is in dispute in our forward line. He was a key contributor in our ability to lock the ball in the forward line.

I agree, we need that third tall. Tom Williams or Fletcher Roberts could also cause headaches?

Agree with this but I haven't given up hope on Grant.

A Jarryd Grant living up to his expectations would be the perfect tandem with Stringer imo. 2 guys at that 6'3" - 6'4" size that are both good in the air and at ground level would be a headache for all defenses. The perfect foil for one another I believe. One forward that will be too strong for most midsized defenders and one that would be too fast for most mid sized defenders. It could force an opposition to play a monster on one of them or some other mis-match for us to exploit

It is all up to Grant and I hope more than anything that he can turn his fortunes around. Stringer will be even better with a firing Grant in the forward line.

That's a disappointing post dannnnnnnn. Where in my post did I mention 18 year olds? Seriously man.

I mentioned variation. Gia, Dickson, Higgins and murph are all talented in their own right, but having all 4 in the forward line completely threw the balance out.
That's pretty much our only alternative, that's my point. We're playing young guys who have barely played games in Macrae, Vez, Tutt in their positions.

You make a great point there WATCHDOG re Grant: if only he can get himself to be able to repeat his efforts at multiple contests and regain his confidence he could be a hell of a handful for defenders. Like Veszpremi, Grant has attributes we sorely miss in our team but he also has serious flaws that mean he can't contribute effectively enough to the team defense. So too Gia and Higgins though.

You make a great point there WATCHDOG re Grant: if only he can get himself to be able to repeat his efforts at multiple contests and regain his confidence he could be a hell of a handful for defenders. Like Veszpremi, Grant has attributes we sorely miss in our team but he also has serious flaws that mean he can't contribute effectively enough to the team defense. So too Gia and Higgins though.

Exactly, that is what he needs to turn around and if/when he does then we will see him back playing 1sts.

Stringer will be awesome regardless of whether Grant makes a future for himself, but with a partner in crime in what Grant could be, he could be even better, more dangerous and even more important for the reasons listed in my previous post.

I'm glad I'm not alone with a bit of Granty love :cool:

Exactly, that is what he needs to turn around and if/when he does then we will see him back playing 1sts.

Stringer will be awesome regardless of whether Grant makes a future for himself, but with a partner in crime in what Grant could be, he could be even better, more dangerous and even more important for the reasons listed in my previous post.

I'm glad I'm not alone with a bit of Granty love :cool:

I share the love as well although my faith in him to find what is needed is diminishing weekly.... You're spot on about him being the perfect partner for Stringer because they both share genuine footy smarts, both explosive and know how to impact the score board.... That said Grant has to be the one to turn it around and time is fast running out... He should be in our best 22 by know given what he's shown in the past however can't make the team when so many forwards are missing?

The problem for Grant I think is that he is more likely to play well when in the AFL than VFL. His best footy was when he had blokes like Hall, Johnson, Akermanis etc in the fwd line. He is just not that dominating forward who will demand a spot by playing well for Willy. In fact he wasnt that great at VFL level when he first got promoted. I dont know if he has a a poor attitude or what but would love to see Grant, Jones and Stringer together for the next 8 years. All compliment each other. Just get him in, what have we got to lose?

Agree with this, but can't agree that Macca was "in love with" a slow forward line and I think Dan's making a similar point. You've just got to work with what you've got. You need to balance age/experience/physical maturity as well as speed.

Anyway Higgo's out for the year, Dicko for another six weeks and Gia is on the precipice (IMO) so we aren't going to see the old slow mix back for some time, probably ever. Murphy I want back in the side ASAP. Lots of creativity and mobility.

That's pretty much our only alternative, that's my point. We're playing young guys who have barely played games in Macrae, Vez, Tutt in their positions.
I absolutely loved that sidestep Macrae did in the last quarter to get teh shot on goal. he did it with ease. Yes , he sprayed the kick, but geez that was exciting how he blew off his opponent with ease !

Just wait till those go sailing through consistently !:cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you are spot on with Smith - he might find himself playing forward of the centre more often. Hopefully Smith and Macrae will get a little more composure in front of goal with more exposure up forward.

Got dacked and and had the compusure to kick the goal. then a smartarse in front of me said

"What an arsey goal"

I feel sorry for all you guys who dont have Stringer in your pieman team, but hey, thanks for making up the numbers :)
I'll easily lap up Jones being my banker thankyouverymuch.

Tell you what I loved most about Stringer.

He kicked 2 excellent goals, and 1 solid one. And he didn't give a toss about any of them. No huge celebrations. No histrionics. He barely cracked a smile. You could tell he knew we were getting easily beated, and he drew no comfort from his own individual glory.

This guy has 'big game' player written all over him. He was carrying on like it was still pre-season. And in his 2nd game too. Very excited to see what he does when he's on the big stage.

Scotty Cummings had a crack at him for running into a "small" bloke after kicking the goal.

Cummings pretty much had a crack at everything the dogs did. Although he did wonder what the doggies did not to get free kicks ; )

Scotty Cummings had a crack at him for running into a "small" bloke after kicking the goal.

Cummings pretty much had a crack at everything the dogs did. Although he did wonder what the doggies did not to get free kicks ; )
Loved it when he did that. Just smashed Christensen out of the way :D.

Scott Cummings is just a fat fool these days. Surprised he has a commentary gig, tbh.

Agree with this, but can't agree that Macca was "in love with" a slow forward line and I think Dan's making a similar point. You've just got to work with what you've got. You need to balance age/experience/physical maturity as well as speed.

Anyway Higgo's out for the year, Dicko for another six weeks and Gia is on the precipice (IMO) so we aren't going to see the old slow mix back for some time, probably ever. Murphy I want back in the side ASAP. Lots of creativity and mobility.

It's nice Granty has found somene else ! I fell out of love with him a couple of years ago.
We have ageed to just being friends these days , but even this friendship was tested( again ) after watching him in the Willi / Werribee game. I have made the point previously , he plays football like it's still underage football.
As a simple example , you will very rarely see him go into a hot contest take posession and then take a tackle if need be.
He is more likely the flash through the contest over running the ball and then become a spectator.
But don't get me wrong, if all of you wise men think it's worth another chance with this new structure, then I'm in.:thumbsu:

It's nice Granty has found somene else ! I fell out of love with him a couple of years ago.
We have ageed to just being friends these days , but even this friendship was tested( again ) after watching him in the Willi / Werribee game. I have made the point previously , he plays football like it's still underage football.
As a simple example , you will very rarely see him go into a hot contest take posession and then take a tackle if need be.
He is more likely the flash through the contest over running the ball and then become a spectator.
But don't get me wrong, if all of you wise men think it's worth another chance with this new structure, then I'm in.:thumbsu:
Agree, but not sure why you've quoted me, KH. I wasn't pumping up Grant's tyres. Would love him to make it but it's looking longer and longer odds as every week goes by. This year is surely his last chance with the WB.

Agree, but not sure why you've quoted me, KH. I wasn't pumping up Grant's tyres. Would love him to make it but it's looking longer and longer odds as every week goes by. This year is surely his last chance with the WB.

Sorry DW , didn't mean to implicate you in Granty's lovelife.:)

I will be keen to see how Stringer goes on a KPD next weekend.

Guthrie was on him for most of the night I think, I would imagine WCE would send their first choice to Jones then next to Stringer.

Hopefully we see the young man stand up and take another step in the West.

I will be keen to see how Stringer goes on a KPD next weekend.

Guthrie was on him for most of the night I think, I would imagine WCE would send their first choice to Jones then next to Stringer.

Hopefully we see the young man stand up and take another step in the West.
Mitch Brown to Jones, whom does that mean they'll send to Stringer; Glass or other way around perhaps?

Mitch Brown to Jones, whom does that mean they'll send to Stringer; Glass or other way around perhaps?
Glass will be suspended. Will Schofield might come back in. Beau Waters would probably be a good match up for him if we go with two talls + Stringer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back