Traded Jake Stringer (#973)

ThirdLegUp

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is something about this stringer bloke that tickled a special place in my brain. I didn't get to catch the Adelaide game, so this was my first viewing. It only occurred to me what i was feeling when my wife spoke out. "gee this kid's a solid bugger, and he still has growing to do. Walking around like he has Roger Ramjet (Chris Grant) tucked away in his pants, scary thing is he backs it up"

BANG... that's it! i haven't felt this way since Granties first game way back when. A presence on the field that commanded respect even though he has no real right to claim it. And just having him walking around was enough to give everyone around him 20% extra belief. I know its WAY too early to make such calls. and I'm not saying he will be the player grant was, skill wise, but as a marque player, a player the club hangs their colours on... this guy just fits that bill, Some people are born to fill these roles, if only he is willing to take it. He kicked three goals, but it was the methodical, confident and even arrogant manner in which he kicked those goals and played his part in others.Then just dismissed it as if he was only doing the bare minimum!

Oh and howdy folks. reading these forums for about 2 years now, I feel we are walking a road that has a very bright future (albeit bumpy enough to shake the fillings loose), and thought i would join the dog-pack here at big footy to signal that i will walk that road with everyone else, not just read from the bushes.

There is something about this stringer bloke that tickled a special place in my brain. I didn't get to catch the Adelaide game, so this was my first viewing. It only occurred to me what i was feeling when my wife spoke out. "gee this kid's a solid bugger, and he still has growing to do. Walking around like he has Roger Ramjet (Chris Grant) tucked away in his pants, scary thing is he backs it up"

BANG... that's it! i haven't felt this way since Granties first game way back when. A presence on the field that commanded respect even though he has no real right to claim it. And just having him walking around was enough to give everyone around him 20% extra belief. I know its WAY too early to make such calls. and I'm not saying he will be the player grant was, skill wise, but as a marque player, a player the club hangs their colours on... this guy just fits that bill, Some people are born to fill these roles, if only he is willing to take it. He kicked three goals, but it was the methodical, confident and even arrogant manner in which he kicked those goals and played his part in others.Then just dismissed it as if he was only doing the bare minimum!

Oh and howdy folks. reading these forums for about 2 years now, I feel we are walking a road that has a very bright future (albeit bumpy enough to shake the fillings loose), and thought i would join the dog-pack here at big footy to signal that i will walk that road with everyone else, not just read from the bushes.
welcome aboard mate:thumbsu:

Apart from his strong hands and confident kicking for goal what I like about him is the composure he shows to do the team thing. I saw it in the Willy game against Coburg then again on Saturday night, on the boundary he doesn't just blaze away, he buys time looks inboard then hits someone 35/40 metres out dead in front, will set up many goals over the years. I think he also has a bit of Dermie about him.

I love the fact that he just goes back and kick's goals, when was the last time we drafted a player that could just nail them. That in itself makes me very very happy.

who_let_the_dogs_out

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
What a beauty we have here. Can't wait to see him develop after a couple of preseasons.

Such a clean pair of hands, as soon as he took those marks around the 50 I was hoping he'd go back and have a shot. Then, sure enough, the mouth guard was getting tucked into the sock and I said to my gf next to me, here we go.... Ball's on its way, split the middle. Loved it! Even when the ball was in dispute his harrassment and pressure that he applied was great to see. Jarrad Grant needs to watch a tape of Stringer, this is how he should be operating.

Agree with the posts earlier, Jones seemed to lift knowing Stringer was in the forward 50 with him. Jones and Stringer are a great foundation to build a forward line around (Kennedy/Darling esque).

I dunno about since Grant, but he's probably the most talented kid we've had at the club since Johnno?
Seen plenty of workhorses like West, Boyd and Libba jr, but in terms of pure talent he's up there with johnno and grant for sure. Cooney and Griffen maybe... but Stringer feels more special.

wian

Premiership Player
May 21, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NZ Breakers / New York Knicks
Got dacked and and had the compusure to kick the goal. then a smartarse in front of me said

"What an arsey goal"

Geelong supporters must be used to arsey, flukey goals as they are masters at it.............. Especially against us !

Georgiades

Debutant
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
One thing that impressed me and hasn't been touched on much is his strength on the deck. Set up two goals (that I can recall) from strong groundwork incorporating great speed, sideways movement and a couple of stiff arms. I'm hoping for the next Pavlich out of 'my boy' Jake.

DexterTan

Club Legend
May 11, 2007
Springfield, USA
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns, Charlotte Bobcats
What a beauty we have here. Can't wait to see him develop after a couple of preseasons.

Such a clean pair of hands, as soon as he took those marks around the 50 I was hoping he'd go back and have a shot. Then, sure enough, the mouth guard was getting tucked into the sock and I said to my gf next to me, here we go.... Ball's on its way, split the middle. Loved it! Even when the ball was in dispute his harrassment and pressure that he applied was great to see. Jarrad Grant needs to watch a tape of Stringer, this is how he should be operating.

Agree with the posts earlier, Jones seemed to lift knowing Stringer was in the forward 50 with him. Jones and Stringer are a great foundation to build a forward line around (Kennedy/Darling esque).

He's not afraid to put the "jukes" up.

So many times we see Ayce try and mark above his head and just can't clunk them.

Stringer, one grab player and confident set shot at goal from outside 50!

What more can you want from a teenager?

Jan 18, 2011
North Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He has the potential to play a Hird/Pavlich role that is very hard to match up on - big guy = move too fast, fast guy = one on one marking.

I am excited as the next doggy fan about his apparent ability to kick a bag but what has most surprised me is his passing and ability to bring others into the game. Jones benefitted and in a Willy game a few weeks back he made Grant look dangerous.

This may save Grant - if you get in space he has the skill and time to hit you. For all Grants faults - very disappointing - he does often get into space but was ignored - Jake the Snake (my call for nickname) seems to know where people are.

Back