Autopsy Former Richmond coach reveals the story behind why the Tigers didn't pick Matthew Pavlich

Remove this Banner Ad

When Brad Ottens was sick and tired of not being played in the ruck and was considering leaving, Frawley told him, "If you leave and go into the draft St. Kilda will pick you. And if you leave Richmond will sack me but St. Kilda will hire me as their coach. So either way I'll be coaching you next year so you might as well stay here".

When Brad Ottens was sick and tired of not being played in the ruck and was considering leaving, Frawley told him, "If you leave and go into the draft St. Kilda will pick you. And if you leave Richmond will sack me but St. Kilda will hire me as their coach. So either way I'll be coaching you next year so you might as well stay here".
Ahhh pearls of wisdom from the kiffler book of footy coaching by frawley...
Well you even got that scenario wrong spud...

Thing is Fiora had the ability to do just about anything. But he said himself when he finished up, he just never tried. He reckoned he only started training properly in his last year!

All the talent in the world doesn't make up for being a D*$*head.

Pav would have been great. But we were total cot case back then. I reckon a lot of our learning, strategy and culture now comes from the accumulation of dab decisions. We learnt what not to do, and what we should do, and how.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This highlights how tenuous drafting is. At the time everyone would have taken Scully and Trengrove over Dusty.
would have they, there's more to it than that , I understand that Q loomed over dustys ability to knuckle down at AFL level, same ones that many raised over buddy,,,as they say in the classics, once bitten,,,,

would have they, there's more to it than that , I understand that Q loomed over dustys ability to knuckle down at AFL level, same ones that many raised over buddy,,,as they say in the classics, once bitten,,,,
No doubting there were legit concerns about him being disciplined enough.

This highlights how tenuous drafting is. At the time everyone would have taken Scully and Trengrove over Dusty.
I think melb decision to take these two safe picks ahead of dusty was as much a ‘sales’ decision to their white bread fan base and not from any level of analysis. Just shows they have been just as ******* useless at recruiting as we have. But 2017 changes everything...

I think melb decision to take these two safe picks ahead of dusty was as much a ‘sales’ decision to their white bread fan base and not from any level of analysis. Just shows they have been just as ******* useless at recruiting as we have. But 2017 changes everything...
Dunno that that's entirely true. It was reported at the time that everyone knew Trengrove and Scully were going at 1 and 2 (there was some speculation over who Melb would allow to be #1), but there were probably also legit concerns regarding Dusty's character from the superficial things recruiters knew.

So who was responsible for Ezra Poyas ( who played against my ammo side just a few years later) and Scott Homewood with the next two selections?!!
I need answers spud
To be fair Ezra Poyas was a very dominant player at junior level. Sometimes they just don’t work out and why character and attitude is taken so much into account now. I suspect like Fiora, Poyas would love his time over again. I distinctly remember him being pulled aside early doors by senior blokes about getting ahead of himself and he seemed to just go into his shell and lack confidence, a situation that would be handled much differently these days.
I also remember being at a family day once very early in Fioras career and senior blokes were belittling him and openly putting s**t on him for being dumb etc in front of everyone and he looked shattered. Often wonder about our culture back in those days, admittedly a much different time though.
Can you imagine Trent Cotchin allowing that s**t to fly?

If we want to reflect on a sliding doors moment which is relevant, how about the Demons side had they drafted Dusty instead of Trengove?
I wonder whose flag drought would’ve been broken first?
I just cannot imagine Dusty playing for Demons the way he has played for us. I think Hardwick and Cotchin for 2 can be credited for helping Dusty on his path to greatness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back