Formula 1 in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a possible £8 billion bid for a significant US stake in F1 - but if the sport is to rise in popularity State-side, it needs to be more entertaining first surely?
Yep. There's absolutely no way you'd gain popularity in the US when for the last 6 years F1 has been a 1 horse race (team wise). In fact if F1 started up today I don't imagine it would survive very long.

Yep. There's absolutely no way you'd gain popularity in the US when for the last 6 years F1 has been a 1 horse race (team wise). In fact if F1 started up today I don't imagine it would survive very long.

Perhaps these new shareholders (assuming this deal goes through) will make changes. Or at least, push hard for them. Bernie's wanted a decent slice of the US market for years - if they have good ideas he should listen (whether he does or not...!).

Haas team next year - US of course - what's the betting they have at least one US driver?

Perhaps these new shareholders (assuming this deal goes through) will make changes. Or at least, push hard for them. Bernie's wanted a decent slice of the US market for years - if they have good ideas he should listen (whether he does or not...!).

Haas team next year - US of course - what's the betting they have at least one US driver?
1.01 and still overs. Probably Rossi, which is fine by me because he's good enough for F1 but just never had the money.

Gutierrez is one I've read, any others ??
Not yet. They were wanting a US driver, but want more experienced drivers, at least to get them started. There's no US drivers with real F1 experience. Would be too much of a hinderance to a new team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got it. Except for the question mark. I don't know morse punctuation.
I don't even know morse code, but luckily I know Google and he knows! ;)

As for the punctuation, I was asking a question and so thought I'd stick with what I knew (i.e. Normal punctuation). *shrug*

WOuldnt be surprised if Andretti or Rahal ended up in the Haas. Big American racing names
I remember Danica Patrick's name coming up early on, was that completely squashed or is the door still ajar on that one?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118790

Steiner added that while the team is considering American drivers, signing someone with experience in F1 is its priority.

"We are looking at American drivers, but being American doesn't give you an automatic drive," he said. "If you are good, it's fine. Otherwise if you just pick an American because he's American and you're not successful, it's not good for the driver to start off with. It's not good for the team and it's not good for the programme in general, and the country because it is like 'Oh, they cannot get it done. An experienced American would be something different, but there is nobody out there and what we need is somebody who needs to guide us a little bit as well, that we know where we stand.

I'd still look at Rossi. It's not like recent years have shown us the juniors can't come in and be decent. Quite the opposite actually.
They want an experienced driver though. Rossi could be good, no doubt. But I think they want the assured dependability first up.

I'd still look at Rossi. It's not like recent years have shown us the juniors can't come in and be decent. Quite the opposite actually.

Haas is getting Ferrari engines, so I would assume Ferrari would be interested in putting a Ferrari Driver Academy driver into a Haas seat.

Raffaele Marciello (GP2), Lance Stroll (European F3), Antonio Fuoco (GP3) and Guanyu Zhou (Italian F4) are the current Ferrari Driver Academy drivers, with Marciello and Fuoco being Italian, Stroll is Canadian and Zhou is Chinese.

Based on experience Marciello would be favourite, but Stroll has North American connections, so he may get the nod. Marciello is the reserve driver for Sauber and he has tested twice this year, whereas Fuoco got his first F1 drive when he tested for Ferrari at the recent Austrian test session.

Further muddying the waters are the changes to the super license system that come into play from next year. It'll be interesting to see how many drivers, not currently in Formula 1, actually meet the requirements for a super licence going into next year.

BTW - Rossi is currently in 2nd place in GP2, and if he retains that position he will have the required 40 points to qualify for a super license.

Don't forget, they have two seats to fill. Why not a young American in one, and a more experienced driver in the other?

I sense a comeback for Pedro de la Rosa. :p

So with Kimi seemingly under pressure to retain his seat there is the start of chatter about who else. Apparently Ferrari were having a bit of a look at Riccardo last year before ultimately being able to lure Vettel. That would make for some interesting dynamics again on the small chance (at least to me) that if they are together again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back