Formula 1 - Round 5 - Spanish Grand Prix (14th May)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Back to where all that testing went on Pre season, and where Ferrari first showed themselves to have a pace advantage over Mercedes. The circuit de catalunia is a pretty even track with a long pit straight and a lot of fast corners. Very difficult to overtake around here as it proved last year when Max Verstappen became the youngest race winner.

latest

66 Laps in total and the tyre choices are Hard, Medium and Soft as the track is pretty tough on tyres (so expect possible pit strategies to come into play), but this race is all going to be about the effect of upgrades.

All eyes will no doubt be on Red Bull this race. The talk is that the changes that Adrian Newey has made to this car are drastic enough that they might as well call it the RB14. Mercedes and Ferrari are talking up this new Red Bull car as a title challenger, but I reckon most of that is tactical talk putting pressure on RBR. If Red Bull have not narrowed the gap with this new upgrade, then I am afraid to say they will not be challenging for anything this season, at least not until Renault launch their new engine sometime in July.

Force India are also bringing sizeable updates to their pink cars, so hopefully a more exciting midfield battle can ensue.

Just a reminder of what happened last year

Race is standard European Race Time so 10PM EST, 8PM WST for Quali and Race

Back to where all that testing went on Pre season, and where Ferrari first showed themselves to have a pace advantage over Mercedes. The circuit de catalunia is a pretty even track with a long pit straight and a lot of fast corners. Very difficult to overtake around here as it proved last year when Max Verstappen became the youngest race winner.

latest

66 Laps in total and the tyre choices are Hard, Medium and Soft as the track is pretty tough on tyres (so expect possible pit strategies to come into play), but this race is all going to be about the effect of upgrades.

All eyes will no doubt be on Red Bull this race. The talk is that the changes that Adrian Newey has made to this car are drastic enough that they might as well call it the RB14. Mercedes and Ferrari are talking up this new Red Bull car as a title challenger, but I reckon most of that is tactical talk putting pressure on RBR. If Red Bull have not narrowed the gap with this new upgrade, then I am afraid to say they will not be challenging for anything this season, at least not until Renault launch their new engine sometime in July.

Force India are also bringing sizeable updates to their pink cars, so hopefully a more exciting midfield battle can ensue.

Just a reminder of what happened last year

Race is standard European Race Time so 10PM EST, 8PM WST for Quali and Race

That's a beautiful aerial shot of the track. I'm not sure where Red Bull will stand - FP1 and they're .250 off Raikkonen, but Mercedes are around a second quicker than Ferrari all of a sudden. Still, at this point, given how often teams bait and switch, I'm not going to rely on FP times as a serious marker.

Would be great to see Dan and Max close the gap though. Two bold, aggressive drivers, at the very least interfering with the title battle, if not outright involved, would be a treat to watch.

Ferrari showing good speed.... good stuff.
Shame to see Honda doing ok.

Ferrari showing good speed.... good stuff.
Shame to see Honda doing ok.
But good to see Alonso do well - he proved his quality with that average Ferrari in 2012, now he's dragging that McLaren to P7. If he were in the current Ferrari I can see him leaving Vettel for dust.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I missed quali - how on earth did Alonso get P7?!

This is Fernando Alonso, he could get a Honda Civic on pole if he had enough luck.

Still the best driver on the grid imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back