Formula One Cost Crisis

Remove this Banner Ad

Bernie's reached a new level of insanity deserving of its own thread. Plus there seemed to be widespread confusion to discuss this whole mess in the 2014 thread, or the 2015 thread, or the current race thread. So here we are.

"That's what I think. I don't know why people want to get to the so-called 'young generation'. "I'd rather get to the 70-year-old guy who's got plenty of cash. So, there's no point trying to reach these kids

Yet in an apparent self-contradiction, Ecclestone admitted there was value to attracting fans at a young age: “I say to some of these people who start this nonsense about social media, look at what tobacco companies tried to do – get people smoking their brand early on because then people continue smoking their brand forever.”

Ecclestone added “women in particular like to criticise

"Nobody will miss the two teams because they're not frontrunning teams; they've only got a name that people would know because of the problem they're in," he said.

“Just don’t spend as much,” said Ecclestone. “These teams don’t need to be in financial trouble. They need to think about what they have got to spend and do the best they can with that.”

* off and die already you old campaigner.

http://www.campaignasia.com/Article...e-ecclestone-on-his-billion-dollar-brand.aspx

Bernie's reached a new level of insanity deserving of its own thread. Plus there seemed to be widespread confusion to discuss this whole mess in the 2014 thread, or the 2015 thread, or the current race thread. So here we are.

**** off and die already you old campaigner.

http://www.campaignasia.com/Article...e-ecclestone-on-his-billion-dollar-brand.aspx
How much control does he still have over the commercial rights holding company, heaps I'm assuming. Really showing how out of touch he is there, lets not get young people interested, a sure fire way to kill the sport stone cold dead. And the comment about the back teams is a load of s**t too.

F1 will likely go through some s**t load of power struggle mess when Bernie dies, since I don't see him stepping down or moving on before then.

**** off and die already you old campaigner.
Quoted for posterity.

Can't imagine the financial situation in F1 changing while Bernie is at the helm. I'd love to see the smaller teams able to be competitive, to actually challenge the front runners every so often, to see the return of the garagistas as a legitimate threat for points.

Unfortunately, it can't happen without a reshuffle, which means Ferrari, RBR, AMG, Williams et al will have less money, and as such will never support any move that would leave them worse off. I suspect next season will allow engine development too, which will further hit all teams in the hip pocket. While Toto claims that he doesn't want engine development to help keep costs down, I cannot imagine him being so magnanimous if it was the Renault or Ferrari engines with such dominance of the field.

It's going to take something monumental to change this, I don't think a "strike" as was suggested at Austin would even be enough. Bernie needs to go IMHO.

Edit: By "go" I mean he needs to be replaced in his current position, I'm not actually hoping for harm or worse to come to his person

Edit #2: The more I think about it, I think he doesn't care about the younger generation because he doesn't care about the future of the sport, he simply wants to make as much money from it as he can before either he dies, or F1 dies.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back