Formula One in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

c6wbjc5.jpg

I can guarantee you guys that what Red Bull have just released is NOT the RB13.
It's an RB12 test mule with some 2017 parts on it.

This whole thing has been one big setup just to appeal to sponsors and do PR.

The "RB13" shown in the video doesn't even have it's engine cover put on properly. This will not at all be the same car they show in Melbourne.

This is making me excited, RBR have been so cocky in the off season talking up their chances, and they're clearly not showing absolutely anything they have for a reason... They've found a loophole / worked some magic. They will only show it if they absolutely need to show it.

I'm going to go bold and say the RB13 will come very close to winning the championship. The last time Red Bull did trickery on this scale was the RB6... And that car was the 2010 title winner.

Watch the evolution of the RB13 over time until Melbourne.

Aaaaand we have the last car of 2017!

The STR12 by Toro Rosso!

fsyKuY6.jpg

0M8KbFv.jpg

AY2LBO0.jpg

nP7T2mz.jpg

This livery is amazing, I love it. Something new from the Toro Rosso. Refreshing!

Details wise.... that nose. Beautiful! Front wing looks nice too. Rear wing seems to be lower than other cars. Low downforce setup?

Rest of the car looks pretty simple.

Last edited:

Aaaaand we have the last car of 2017!

The STR12 by Toro Rosso!

fsyKuY6.jpg

0M8KbFv.jpg

AY2LBO0.jpg

nP7T2mz.jpg

This livery is amazing, I love it. Something new from the Toro Rosso. Refreshing!

Details wise.... that nose. Beautiful! Front wing looks nice too. Rear wing seems to be lower than other cars. Low downforce setup?

Rest of the car looks pretty simple.

Looks like a Western RedBulldogs premier celebration edition. Cool.

Toro Rosso, Renault and Williams the standouts for me this year.

I like the vast majority of them. The Merc is boring and Force India's and Haas' efforts embarrassing, but aside from them it's an attractive grid this year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A very low rear wing this year, looks like the F1 cars of old

"I think the RB13 is one of the prettiest cars that we're designed and made, because of the geometry of the car under these new regulations, the proportions look right," says Christian. "It looks mean, it looks fast. The old adage is that, if it looks right, it tends to go alright – and this car for sure looks right."

The regulation changes for 2017 have no recent precedent. In modern F1 history, plenty of rules have been introduced to slow the cars down, none to speed them up – but this is the plan now, with new aerodynamic regulations and a change to the width of the tyres designed to make the cars around five seconds a lap faster in Barcelona than they were in 2015.

The main points of the design reboot are wider tyres that generate more mechanical grip, a correspondingly wider car, with correspondingly wider wings and a rear diffuser which is also enlarged. It is a car with more downforce – and therefore a car with higher performance, or, as chief engineering officer Rob Marshall explains: "The increased downforce on the car means the car will able to go around the corners quicker."

Dan Fallows, head of aerodynamics, adds: "From our point of view, as an aerodynamics department, this new set of regulations is extremely exciting as we get a lot of freedom in terms of the areas of the car that can deliver quite a bit of performance. The car does look more aggressive and everybody around the factory is quite excited by that."

The formal design effort for a new car begins the preceding winter. Gradually more people and resources are added to the project as work winds down on the car that's racing, until a point – usually in the summer months – is reached where the whole focus of the design team is on the new model. This reaches fever-pitch in the off-season as final decisions are made and parts for the new car are manufactured. This year that process is even more enormous than usual, given the aerodynamic reset in the rules.

"The change of regulations for 2017 is a really exciting aspect for an engineer," comments chief engineer (performance engineering) Pierre Wache. "Compared with 2016, where it was more an evolution, here you have to change everything on the car, review all the procedures you are doing and try to optimise the car performance on something you don't know. That's very, very exciting for an engineer."

Daniel Ricciardo takes the car out this morning for its first run, with the rest of the team glued to the screens to see how it performs. Even in this age of simulation and analysis, having a real car on a real track still generates strong emotions – chief among them is hope. Paul Monaghan, chief engineer (car engineering), sums up the mood best from our camp: "a regulation change is always going to have some excitement. Will we be first, will we not be first, who is around us, where are we? I'd like to be holding two World Championships at the end of the year. That's the biggest thing [with the new regulations]: it creates an opportunity whereby we can try to realise that. Now it's all hands to pumps to try to do it."

http://www.redbullracing.com/article/testing-times-0

First day of testing today in Spain
I'd wouldn't necessarily be paying attention to lap times (most teams would be holding back on potential), but rather which teams get the most laps into engines without major failures.

If the Renault engine has any issues during testing I think I'm going to cry.

I'm going to make a prediction and say someone out of 'The big three' (Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull) has got their aero wrong.

All 3 cars look totally different from each other, RBR seems VERY tightly packaged, Mercedes is very balanced and a revision of last year's great chassis(they have had the most development time on it), and Ferrari looks to be the most 'out there' and aggressive, knowing they need something special to keep up with the others.

It's not exactly a bold prediction but I'm going to say Ferrari got it wrong here. Those sidepods and the wide package makes me think they've missed a trick with the engine. From what I've heard it's not as good as expected, hasn't changed much from last year, and may need the extra cooling that we can see from the bigger chassis.

Red Bull is intriguing, how much do they have left in store aero wise? (something is up with the nose, that's for sure), The base looks very good, it's small, it's tight, the sidepods are some of the smallest I've seen on a F1 car. Is the Renault engine going to be THAT thermal efficient?

Mercedes, well, they were miles in front of the rest and they've used all their development time to get better. Hard to find a flaw with them at the moment, I just hope cracks appear later in the season.

Renault will be the surprise package this year, finally they get a chassis that's designed around their engine, a major sponsorship with castrol, and if their engine holds up (they've done a ton of work to it) - I think they will finish 4th in the constructors championship this year. Their package looks great.
Rumors floating around Renault say they've gained 50BHP with their engine! That's huge if true.

McLaren Honda will be 5th in the constructors. Much improved engine and they have Peter Prodromou (former Red Bull guy who worked under Newey) working on the chassis. I can see they've tried some innovations there.

Force India and Williams I can see dropping back.

Engines wise? When it comes to raw power I think right now if everything I've heard is true then the pecking order should be Mercedes >> Renault=Ferrari > Honda.

There will be a lot of in season development for the higher budget teams (Merc, RBR, Renault, McLaren, Ferrari) with the lack of restrictions on development when it comes to both engine and chassis. This will hurt the smaller budget teams a lot more than recent years (Force India, Williams, Sauber, Haas)

I'm expecting Mercedes to win most races this year, RBR will win a few more than last year, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see Renault, Ferrari, or even McLaren snatch one.

Last edited:
well i dont think ferrari can afford to be wrong again. but i tend to agree. they need to be really aggressive this season and it just doesn't look like it.

testing starts in under 10 mins however.

Apparently they have underestimated the development potential of Renault and Mercedes and even Honda when it comes to the engine and they really fell asleep on it.

Architecture on the Ferrari engine remains the same, where Renault and Honda have completely remodelled their engine.

Interesting to note that every team except Renault have a split turbo. Renault have opted to go with the traditional method. Will it come back to hurt them? The split turbo is widely credited to Mercedes dominance.

Testing kicks off at the top of the hour (3 mins time). For reference last year Ferrari topped the day 1 timesheets with a 1:24.939. Compare that to the 1:22.000 that Lewis Hamilton achieved in qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix 3 months later.

I would be very surprised if car aren't lapping quicker than 1:22 at some time today.

As is always the case, the temps in Spain are cool with a max of 17 expected.

Testing kicks off at the top of the hour (3 mins time). For reference last year Ferrari topped the day 1 timesheets with a 1:24.939. Compare that to the 1:22.000 that Lewis Hamilton achieved in qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix 3 months later.

I would be very surprised if car aren't lapping quicker than 1:22 at some time today.

As is always the case, the temps in Spain are cool with a max of 17 expected.

Here's a great article in reference to testing:
http://felixdicit.com/formula-1-2017-pre-season-testing-preview/

Ferrari was topping everything in testing last year, and we know how that worked out for them

Expect Merc and RBR to sandbag hard again.

well i dont think ferrari can afford to be wrong again. but i tend to agree. they need to be really aggressive this season and it just doesn't look like it.

testing starts in under 10 mins however.

Ferrari is more than likely going to protest against Mercedes and Red Bull's aero designs in Melbourne claiming they're illegal.

They wrote in to the FIA about it around a month ago saying their design violated the 2017 regs. Apparently a board hearing is yet to take place.

This just reeks of desperation to me. Their aerodynamics department needs an overhaul.

Ferrari is more than likely going to protest against Mercedes and Red Bull's aero designs in Melbourne claiming they're illegal.

They wrote in to the FIA about it around a month ago saying their design violated the 2017 regs. Apparently a board hearing is yet to take place.

This just reeks of desperation to me. Their aerodynamics department needs an overhaul.
christ, getting in the excuses already. not good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back