Formula One in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Ferrari is more than likely going to protest against Mercedes and Red Bull's aero designs in Melbourne claiming they're illegal.

They wrote in to the FIA about it around a month ago saying their design violated the 2017 regs. Apparently a board hearing is yet to take place.

This just reeks of desperation to me. Their aerodynamics department needs an overhaul.
The rumoured protest isn't aerodynamic, it relates to the FRIC suspension that Merc and Red Bull run.

McLaren had to change the ENTIRE engine in Alonso's car.

I wonder if that counts towards his yearly allocation.
The engine allocation is only for races - any engine used during testing doesn't count.

1488216527102.jpg

After Day 1

^^^
Not much changes from one year to the next. Mercedes comes out of the blocks with speed and reliability, Ferrari shows some early form and Red Bull and Honda have day 1 reliability issues.

With both Mercedes and Ferrari under 1:22 on day 1 I would expect the fastest ever lap of 1.19.954 (Barrichello during qualifying in 2009) to be broken before the week is out.

BTW - here's an article from Craig Scarborough that explains how the Red Bull nose is legal:

https://drivetribe.com/p/V5JVEhLoTxCUbBx5oUyHjA?iid=R4pMaPumRDq15w-1zhxcFw

Looking closely at the nose, we can see the tip is the minimum size 9,000mm2, but the hole pretty much fills that area. When viewed from a slight angle the nose tip has an opening behind it, so the air entering the hole vents nearly straight back out again. It doesn’t appear to be ducted up into the S-duct, as we can see the usual S-Duct inlet further up the nose. Although two small outlets ‘appear’ to be made into the nose behind the front wing mounting. Again these do not appear to fit in with the closed rules, but we will have to have a closer at exactly what these are and report in due course.

Having the nose open and venting straight back out behind it, makes aerodynamic sense, as the blockage of the regulatory nose cross section is reduced, pushing more airflow under the raised chassis to power the newly enlarged bargeboards for a strong aerodynamic effect down the rest of the car. So, if the nose has to be a closed shape how is the hole legal? To understand how the one closed section rule works, imagine passing the nose sideways through a meat slicer. As long as each slice is one piece, then the nose cross section is legal. If we sliced through the nose hole, you’d had one big nose slice and little piece formed from the bottom of the nose hole, this wouldn’t be legal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You the 2nd MVP Dips. The guy streaming it obviously is #1

Tried to watch it.....
Got this....With a spanish woman talking apparently.

pE2s3KH.png

Lost all interest in what was happening on track.

XibSkuk.jpg

Two of the best looking cars on the grid, but damn I can't get over how good that Toro Rosso looks.
The RB13 looks like an F22 fighter jet but the nose is what destroys the appeal for me (Yes I know it's there for a reason).

If the RB13 had the Toro Rosso nose it'd probably be my favourite F1 car ever.

Will be interesting to see just how far the STR is off the Red Bull this year. Both have the same power unit for the first time in a while so it really just comes down to budget and James Key vs Adrian Newey. (And I'm assuming RBR will get upgrades from Renault before Toro Rosso does, but who knows)

Tried to watch it.....
Got this....With a spanish woman talking apparently.

pE2s3KH.png

Lost all interest in what was happening on track.
Back on now

red bull looks good but to me it's the same s**t as last year whereas the torro looks very nice to me, most prob me fave for now

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128303/fia-warns-teams-over-trick-suspension

The FIA has warned Formula 1 teams they could be asked to remove trick suspension systems if they cannot prove aerodynamic performance gain is not the design's primary purpose.

Debate between teams over clever hydraulic suspension devices has been ongoing since Ferrari wrote to the FIA at the end of last year to query their legality.

Although Ferrari's initial clarification request was not aimed at any specific team, it is believed the issue revolves around technology concepts Mercedes and Red Bull have previously used legally and were being taken to the next level.

Nt0z1zE.jpg

Here's a photo showing the car's rake coming out of turn 8 vs. On the straight.

Well s**t.... Now I'm really starting to think RB are going to get caught out here and it wont end well for them.

It's going to go like a lot of those devices. If they're too fast they'll be outlawed mid year, if they are struggling or putting the challenge to Mercedes they may be allowed to keep them.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128303/fia-warns-teams-over-trick-suspension

Nt0z1zE.jpg

Here's a photo showing the car's rake coming out of turn 8 vs. On the straight.

Well s**t.... Now I'm really starting to think RB are going to get caught out here and it wont end well for them.

This is from James Allen:

Incidentally a Technical Directive went out from the FIA to teams about the clever suspension systems that adjust the cars’ ride heights between corners and straights, which Ferrari has been questioning, as they aren’t up to speed on it. The TD featured some guidelines on how the systems will be evaluated during the season. Despite the clarification it seems that there is nothing at this stage for Mercedes and Red Bull to worry about unduly from this development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back