Formula One in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

James Allen has written a really good article on what options McLaren has as far as what to do about the Honda engine. The problem is none of the options are very enticing from a 2017 perspective...

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017...sis-what-would-you-do-next-in-mclarens-shoes/

1. Stick with Honda while they resolve their problems, but insist on a plan involving external assistance to ensure that they get a competitive product going forward.
Advantages: Continuity of $60m a year plus free engines, contribution to drivers salaries, stability, manufacturer support.
Disadvantage: 2017 campaign virtually a right-off, Alonso likely to leave, hard to sell sponsorship for 2018 against low level competitiveness and a negative story.

2. Activate a break clause at the end of 2017 or urge Honda to withdraw and appeal to the other manufacturers for a supply from 2018 onwards
Advantages: Continuity of funding, especially if Honda withdraws and pays-off the team, as it did with Brawn in 2008/9, time to develop a competitive 2018 package
Disadvantages: 2017 season a write-off, low points. Alonso may well look elsewhere.

3. Break with Honda and re-engineer the 2017 car around a new power unit
Advantages: Team would be likely to compete higher midfield from Spain onwards (after starting the season with Honda) and would probably score somewhere up to 100 points, better chance of retaining Alonso, better chance of selling sponsorship for 2018
Disadvantages: Huge engineering exercise requiring two months to optimise, expense and loss of financial support unless they leave funding as in clause 2, embarrassment for Honda, would expose any weaknesses in McLaren chassis. This could lead to Honda taking the rest of the year to develop the engine outside and come back in 2018 or withdraw from F1 if they feel they will not be able to get on top of F1 hybrid engine technology.

So here is what it takes to switch F1 engines.

Phase 1. Answer the big general questions: What are the heat rejection figures? How are the oil and water cooled and where do the pipes go? What is the cooling layout? Are there areas in the sidepods that need re-allocating? How does the rear suspension fit with the new engine? How does it connect to the gearbox?

Phase 2. Answer the physical questions: Where are the drives, the pump drives, the shafts coming out of the engine to the fuel pump, the ERS drive? Sometimes things are built into the back of the chassis, moulded around the oil tank design for example and if they are well out with the new unit it could mean a new chassis design. This could also mean having to re-homologate the chassis with the FIA and repass crash tests.

Phase 3. Electronics: The control unit for the battery can be placed quite differently for different power units. Some place them above the battery. The battery is around 30cm x 30cm with a depth of around 120mm and is located underneath the fuel tank, just behind the driver. Moving its control unit could be a real pain.

Phase 4. Finer details: How do the wiring looms run? Everything is as tightly packaged as possible under the skin of an F1 car and modifications can require revisions to the bodywork and that means valuable wind tunnel time. Gear ratios are another key consideration. They are set for the season based on power and torque numbers. But a new engine will have different numbers and this may require new ratios. Some take 10 weeks, others 4 weeks and are fabricated by outside suppliers.

IMO This season I think McLaren have no option other than hoping that Honda get on top of the problems associated with the engine. Any option to go to a different engine manufacturer (evn if one was available) would mean they would have to write off about half the season.

You have to wonder how much of the Ron Dennis sabre and moves to get him out took their eyes off the ball and led to this.

That whole get RD out thing as not an overnight move - point being people were looking at the wrong things IMO.

Mclaren - the mighty Mclaren - look a rabble - and Honda dont seem to have any clue how to get back on track - literally and metaphorically.

Bad for the sport.

Got it on the TV at work, currently doing the 2012 season review, probably won't be changing the channel all week haha.

Got 2010 in the planner.

Obviously i'll only be watching it until Korea......

Still gutted

2010 was the one, finish in Korea and Webber has it won......

I'm loving this channel. 85/85 Adelaide GP coming up.

All the older, lesser known guys driving around in teams that most people born in the last 25 years would never have heard of

Packed Adelaide stands, I can still remember the noise.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the older, lesser known guys driving around in teams that most people born in the last 25 years would never have heard of

Packed Adelaide stands, I can still remember the noise.......
I wonder how the Australian Grand Prix would go if it was moved back to the end of the calendar like it was in Adelaide in the 80's
The crowds are already decent, but you might get a few more out there in November, as opposed to March (when the AFL is usually launching too)

I wonder how the Australian Grand Prix would go if it was moved back to the end of the calendar like it was in Adelaide in the 80's
The crowds are already decent, but you might get a few more out there in November, as opposed to March (when the AFL is usually launching too)
As long as it was after the Spring Carnival I reckon it would do great. The atmosphere isn't the same as it was in those days mind you, much less personality

As long as it was after the Spring Carnival I reckon it would do great. The atmosphere isn't the same as it was in those days mind you, much less personality
Less personality you say?
PicNews150205.jpg

I mean the event itself rather than the drivers. Adelaide only really had the Grand Prix as a major event in those days and it brought the city alive for a good 2 weeks.

More than half of Melbourne wouldn't know it's on this weekend or simply don't care. Part of that is the opening round of the AFL, part is the ridiculous ticket prices but a large part is the fact that it just isn't as appealing as it was 20 years ago even with a bloke like Dan Ricciardo around.

It just doesn't grab the neutral like it used to.

This 86 Aust GP, could watch it all dsy

I mean the event itself rather than the drivers. Adelaide only really had the Grand Prix as a major event in those days and it brought the city alive for a good 2 weeks.

More than half of Melbourne wouldn't know it's on this weekend or simply don't care. Part of that is the opening round of the AFL, part is the ridiculous ticket prices but a large part is the fact that it just isn't as appealing as it was 20 years ago even with a bloke like Dan Ricciardo around.

It just doesn't grab the neutral like it used to.

I'd argue that if he puts up a good qualifying time and is a serious chance of winning then interest will spike immensely. Which I don't think is beyond the realm of possibility seeing as according to Paul Gover in the Herald Sun this morning the lap record Schu set back in 04' could be under threat with these new cars. Let's not forget Daniel had the quickest lap around Albert Park last year...

My point I guess is that by and large the event here was 'different' and didn't need that extra bit. I mean Jones was here but never a chance of winning.

I think having the season ending race definetly helped the atmosphere

The only thing I don't like is no Murray Walker commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back