Formula One in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

His latest Twitter reads.....

Why do I have so many missed calls ??

Not yet I don't think. Jenson was alluding to it on social media though.

He is under contract with them still so I don't see why it wouldn't be him.
Going to be interesting to see how he goes in these cars without really setting foot in the new gen specs. If you were ever going to do a one off it's probably Monaco where the loads on the body are less.

Has it been confirmed ?? I can't think of anyone else they could get.
Rosberg out of retirement. That would be lolworthy.

Only other driver they could is Nobuharu Matsushita, but he wouldn't qualify for a super licence right now.

Think this move highlights the urgency of getting Alonso back into a competitive car ASAP.

Best driver on the grid and he is just mucking around on the radio and heading off to drive one off Indy races.

Watching Australia and China just has me thinking what would be happening if Alonoso had a decent car under him.

Smart move by McLaren, let Nando do what he wants so he stays interested

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, let's talk Red Bull.

They've been shocking so far this season and a real disappointment in my eyes.

The car is hard to drive, it's got a terrible operating window, is bad at getting the harder compounds to work properly, and is just downright slow.
I can understand why they've gone with the low drag philosophy chassis but it plays to none of Adrian Newey's strengths at all and he seems to have created a car which is volatile and hard to deal with. Too quick on the straights but not enough driveability and aero through the corners.

Partly Renault's fault too, using the 2016 MGU-H so far even though they said a fix for their current one would be available before Australia... Liars! We all know how that worked out. Apparently the engine isn't that far down (30-40BHP) on peak power but it lacks the qualifying mode of the Mercedes and Ferrari engines and is also weakened by it's electronic recovery output.

The good news is there's a B-spec Red Bull chassis coming for Barcelona which hopefully fixes a lot of their issues. Apparently during pre season testing they were getting mixed results from their dyno, wind tunnel, and also out on the track. Something wasn't configured properly in the wind tunnel for the 2017 regulations apparently. (That's my jist of it)

Horner says the B-spec car will be totally different, but we also thought the Melbourne spec car was going to be totally different to the Pre season car, and that ended up a disappointment.

I still think the trick suspension they were forced to remove has had a great impact on their performance as well, even though Helmut Marko denies it. I wonder if they were relying on it a little too much and have been caught red handed without a backup plan. I can see how it would have worked, get the maximum top speed out of the straights by exploiting the low drag and then change the rake angle through the corners to make it easier to drive through there.

Marko and Horner are serial liars, I don't trust them one bit when they say the change of suspension did nothing for them.

Cyril Abiteboul of Renault is also a liar. So much for them saying that Red Bull will have an engine good enough to fight Mercedes and Ferrari this year.

It seems to be in between the 2015 engine and 2016 engine in terms of reliability and potential. I want them to get it right so bad but I feel it's just going to create more reliability issues.

They (Renault) are testing the 2017 MGU-H in Bahrain's in season testing and could even push the update through for Russia. And then they have a new spec engine coming in Canada. I still think they shouldn't have gotten rid of Illien's support though. The guy's a genius and I feel like Honda could really use him right now.

It's certainly not the end of RBR's hopes of getting a few wins this year as there seems to be a lot of goodies on the horizon, but I'm not entirely optimistic. Ferrari have really gotten their s**t together this year.

What I'm more concerned about is Daniel Ricciardo. Either he just seems a bit flat to me this year or Max Verstappen is really out of this world. If Max didn't retire in Bahrain he'd have been well ahead of DR and could have even fought for a podium. Getting the jump on Daniel at the start was massive.

I don't know, Max just feels like the quicker of the two right now. I hope it's not the case. I wonder if Daniel's head is in the game after the recent Ferrari rumors going around.

I think i'll give this season until Canada and if Red Bull aren't fighting for wins at that point I probably won't bother. Hamilton and Vettel don't interest me at all.

Last edited:
I certainly am, every year.

It snuck up on me too. 23 years since we lost him and Ratzenberger. Rest in Peace guys...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

It's hard to look back, but what might have been......

If Senna hung around for 3 more years I'm confident in saying he would've won 2 more titles. Damon Hill was no mug but he was no Senna and he won one, and probably deserved another. But that's another argument.

As for Ratzenberger and Simtek, you'd think neither would have had a long nor successful career but just how much wind did it take out of Simteks sails as a young team trying to establish themselves ??

If Nick Wirth's later F1 career is any indication, Simtek wasn't going to survive long term anyway.
That is very true, and there were a number of teams in the 80s and 90s who tried and failed. Simtek just never really got a run at it before it turned to ****

So, let's talk Red Bull.

They've been shocking so far this season and a real disappointment in my eyes.

The car is hard to drive, it's got a terrible operating window, is bad at getting the harder compounds to work properly, and is just downright slow.
I can understand why they've gone with the low drag philosophy chassis but it plays to none of Adrian Newey's strengths at all and he seems to have created a car which is volatile and hard to deal with. Too quick on the straights but not enough driveability and aero through the corners.

Partly Renault's fault too, using the 2016 MGU-H so far even though they said a fix for their current one would be available before Australia... Liars! We all know how that worked out. Apparently the engine isn't that far down (30-40BHP) on peak power but it lacks the qualifying mode of the Mercedes and Ferrari engines and is also weakened by it's electronic recovery output.

The good news is there's a B-spec Red Bull chassis coming for Barcelona which hopefully fixes a lot of their issues. Apparently during pre season testing they were getting mixed results from their dyno, wind tunnel, and also out on the track. Something wasn't configured properly in the wind tunnel for the 2017 regulations apparently. (That's my jist of it)

Horner says the B-spec car will be totally different, but we also thought the Melbourne spec car was going to be totally different to the Pre season car, and that ended up a disappointment.

I still think the trick suspension they were forced to remove has had a great impact on their performance as well, even though Helmut Marko denies it. I wonder if they were relying on it a little too much and have been caught red handed without a backup plan. I can see how it would have worked, get the maximum top speed out of the straights by exploiting the low drag and then change the rake angle through the corners to make it easier to drive through there.

Marko and Horner are serial liars, I don't trust them one bit when they say the change of suspension did nothing for them.

Cyril Abiteboul of Renault is also a liar. So much for them saying that Red Bull will have an engine good enough to fight Mercedes and Ferrari this year.

It seems to be in between the 2015 engine and 2016 engine in terms of reliability and potential. I want them to get it right so bad but I feel it's just going to create more reliability issues.

They (Renault) are testing the 2017 MGU-H in Bahrain's in season testing and could even push the update through for Russia. And then they have a new spec engine coming in Canada. I still think they shouldn't have gotten rid of Illien's support though. The guy's a genius and I feel like Honda could really use him right now.

It's certainly not the end of RBR's hopes of getting a few wins this year as there seems to be a lot of goodies on the horizon, but I'm not entirely optimistic. Ferrari have really gotten their s**t together this year.

What I'm more concerned about is Daniel Ricciardo. Either he just seems a bit flat to me this year or Max Verstappen is really out of this world. If Max didn't retire in Bahrain he'd have been well ahead of DR and could have even fought for a podium. Getting the jump on Daniel at the start was massive.

I don't know, Max just feels like the quicker of the two right now. I hope it's not the case. I wonder if Daniel's head is in the game after the recent Ferrari rumors going around.

I think i'll give this season until Canada and if Red Bull aren't fighting for wins at that point I probably won't bother. Hamilton and Vettel don't interest me at all.
I have zero faith that RBR and Dan will fight for a race win this year. There are 4 cars quicker, and unless there is carnage in 1 race up the front then sneaking a podium once or twice is about all i can hope for. I think Ricciardo would be wondering if his best years are going to be wasted. He does look a little down, and you can't blame him.

I have zero faith that RBR and Dan will fight for a race win this year. There are 4 cars quicker, and unless there is carnage in 1 race up the front then sneaking a podium once or twice is about all i can hope for. I think Ricciardo would be wondering if his best years are going to be wasted. He does look a little down, and you can't blame him.

By the way. Renault has delayed the engine upgrade I discussed. Was meant to be coming in Montreal.... Now they're saying "indefinite"... Maybe Baku.

I seriously hate Renault. If it weren't for Honda there would be a lot more pressure on them this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back