Formula One in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Almost impossible to do a Brawn GP double diffuser loophole and come out of nowhere right now.
2017 gives the best opportunity in years for a team to do a Brawn. The new rules could lead to a big difference across the grid and some of the midfielders could be very competitive in the early part of the season.

One of the unique things about the Brawn double diffuser loophole situation was that Brawn was Chairman of the FOTA Technical Working Group, so had first hand knowledge of the 2009 rules and knew before anyone what was possible but didn't say anything about the loophole. It was one of the accusations thrown at him when teams complained about the double diffuser legality.

One of the unique things about the Brawn double diffuser loophole situation was that Brawn was Chairman of the FOTA Technical Working Group, so had first hand knowledge of the 2009 rules and knew before anyone what was possible but didn't say anything about the loophole. It was one of the accusations thrown at him when teams complained about the double diffuser legality.
Three teams I believe had a double diffuser to kick off the season, their overall package and effectiveness with it was the best early though.

A lot of commentators are expecting Red Bull to be the car to beat this year because it was their proposal of a bigger rear diffuser and lower rear wing that won the day as far as the 2017 rules revamp is concerned.

Never understood the hype over Kubica. He never shaded Heidfeld like many pretend he did and his achievements never stood out as superstar. He was good but his merits were way overblown against many other drivers around at the time.

If he got a test it would only be as a novelty and not a team looking for a new driver.

Personally I reckon he was very good, but probably on the Webber level rather than champion level.

I rated Kubica to a certain degree and believe he could have been champion under certain circumstances but found the general opinion among fans and media that Heidfeld was a waste of a good seat while in the same breath praising Kubica as one of the top drivers very baffling. It didn't measure up.

But I've held similar views in other situations like when Perez was promoted to McLaren while Kobayashi was found without a drive or Vergne's exit out of the sport

Well I disagree. Robert was a gun, and had both Massa and Webber covered. Nothing I've read makes me even think about doubting him.

Robert was the best driver in 08, relative to the cars they drove. Similar in the way you can say Ricciardo was in 14&16. Not just with the race win. But he even led the championship that year, which was a blight on everyone driving Ferrari and McLaren. Had BMW not taken their eye off the ball, more worried about developing the 09 car instead on concentrating on 08. He'd have been an even bigger threat for that season's championship.

Then semi regular podiums with Renault in 10. I think he was even in a position to challenge for the win in Japan?

Had he not had the rally crash. For no other reason than continuity. He would've been better than what even Raikkonen was in 12&13. And Kimi was pretty good those seasons.

Its a shame we never got to see what he could do in the best machinery.

I rated Kubica to a certain degree and believe he could have been champion under certain circumstances but found the general opinion among fans and media that Heidfeld was a waste of a good seat while in the same breath praising Kubica as one of the top drivers very baffling.
Personally I think that is more of an example of how underrated Heidfeld was, rather than how overrated Kubica was.

Well I disagree. Robert was a gun, and had both Massa and Webber covered. Nothing I've read makes me even think about doubting him.

Covered in what way? Massa was better than Kubica in 2008 and Webber's Redbull wasn't up to par.

Robert was the best driver in 08, relative to the cars they drove. Similar in the way you can say Ricciardo was in 14&16. Not just with the race win. But he even led the championship that year, which was a blight on everyone driving Ferrari and McLaren. Had BMW not taken their eye off the ball, more worried about developing the 09 car instead on concentrating on 08. He'd have been an even bigger threat for that season's championship.

Kubica wouldn't even be top 3 drivers of 2008. Out of the top 4 teams, he was the one who scored less points relative to his teammate, Massa even scored more against Kimi. In the final 10 races of the season Heidfeld actually scored more points than Kubica, more than half the season!

And that win? He only won it because Heidfeld was on a detrimental one stop strategy and despite stopping longer for fuel, he still ended up ahead of Kubica after each stopped once. Had Heidfeld ignored orders to let Kubica through or had been on the same strategy he would have been the one with the win.

Had Kubica been the best driver of 2008 he would have been scoring more points in the latter half of that season and gotten himself into contention. Instead, he not only wasn't fighting for the championship he was getting outscored by his teammate as well. Which isn't much of a surprise considering he scored less than him in 06, 07, and 09.

Then semi regular podiums with Renault in 10. I think he was even in a position to challenge for the win in Japan?

He finished 8th in the championship standings in a team with a history of focusing on one driver. Who did he really beat? A lackluster Schumi. Had the team actually hired a seasoned driver in the second seat and focused on both, he would have done even worse.

Personally I think that is more of an example of how underrated Heidfeld was, rather than how overrated Kubica was.

Maybe, but it seemed rather absurd how much praise he was getting at the time. Same thing happened when Heidfeld teamed with Massa and Kimi.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They need to force Pirelli to develop a monsoon tyre. Suppliers were happy to roll them out during tyre wars.

The regs this year are probably more accommodating to wet weather driving than the large plow/coat hanger rack arrangement of previous years.

Looks like VET was in a crash yesterday during Pirelli wet weather testing.
Only footage I've seen so far. Looks like it would have caused a bit of damage to the car (though doesn't look TOO high speed).

http://giphy.com/gifs/5Zj34AvVvRV0Q
The crash could be a bit misleading and depends if the Ferrari test car had been modified to give true 2017 down force levels or not. I would expect the 2017 cars to be a lot more sure footed on the wet tyres.

Pirelli have come out publicly again and warned that racing this season could be far more boring and processional than previous seasons, given the much lower deg tyres and significantly increased aero grip allowed in the new regs. Tyres won't go off at the end of races and the effects of dirty air will mean less passing, thank science for DRS at least. Their CYA line is they are only doing what they have been instructed to do.

The 2017 cars may be significantly faster, but if this leads to significantly less passing then the changes will be a complete fail. Qualifying and race starts will be much more important in 2017, particularly up the pointy end of the grid, as recovery from a bogged start will be much more difficult.

I really liked the high deg, low downforce racing over the last couple of seasons, loved seeing drivers at the end of races on fresh rubber carve their way through the field.

Having said all that I am pumped for Melbourne, can't wait for the first Q3 and qualy, when the sandbagging and performance obfuscation finally ends.

IMO get to a quick corner and you'll be stunned by how fast they are. So to into a braking zone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back